PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan?

Whiplash
11-25-2003, 08:03 PM
Hi guys.

I did a search on all the forums for info but the only result that matched was by a post in 2001 by someone who no longer seems to have an account here.

Anyhoo - my question is this:

Has anyone heard of this system before? I've never heard or seen anything about it and am curious. It seems to be a combination of 'northern' and 'southern' fist or something. I have a friend who took it up and i'm wondering if it's a bit McDojo-ish.

http://www.sussexkungfu.co.uk/ and http://www.nampaichuan.org seem to be the main websites for this.

phantom
12-02-2003, 01:12 PM
I believe Ffab, who is the webmaster for cyberkwoon, is a practitioner of this style. Go to www.cyberkwoon.com and try doing a search there. You might have to register as a member their first, though.

Ben Gash
12-03-2003, 10:33 PM
Nah, it's Fut Gar Kuen. Esoteric Cantonese Southern Shaolin. Close cousin to Hung Gar and CLF.

David Jamieson
12-04-2003, 09:42 AM
I think that Fabiens stuff is called "Nei Pai" or internal style.

Nam or Nan is cantonese for "south"

So, Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan only means "Southern Shaolin Style Fist"

I wouldn't even say it was fut gar, hung gar or clf, it's just "Shaolin" Kungfu from the Southern traditions.

In my former school, one of the Style is called "Nan Sil Lum Hak Fu Pai" Which basically translates as "south shaolin black tiger style"

cheers

Ben Gash
12-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Yeah, however Kung Lek, the art taught by this group is Fut Gar.

MasterKiller
12-04-2003, 02:20 PM
In my former school, one of the Style is called "Nan Sil Lum Hak Fu Pai" Which basically translates as "south shaolin black tiger style" I thought PAI indicated "family" or something like that. Man, I need to learn some Chinese.

David Jamieson
12-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Hey MK-

"Pai" means "style / school or system"

"Gar" means Family.

At least, as far as I know.

I suppose a Pai could easily be within the boundaries of a family though.

cheers

Whiplash
12-04-2003, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys :)

I guess its a case of same stuff, different name.

mad taoist
12-28-2003, 04:54 PM
There are nam pai chuan branches in New Zealand ... seems quite flakey, quite the mckwoon, i would say.

rik
12-28-2003, 05:06 PM
This seems to be the same southern style that is trying to claim to own all of Shaolin wushu in Canada - they list Reverend Sek Koh Sam, the so called abbot of the Shaolin Temple in Singapore, as part of their lineage. See:

http://www.shaolinwushu.ca

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/1160/trdp116069100e.html

Bear
02-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by mad taoist
There are nam pai chuan branches in New Zealand ... seems quite flakey, quite the mckwoon, i would say.

There is nothing flakey about Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan. The style has a direct lineage back to traditional Shaolin. Interesting to note that in the recent National championships for Chinese martial arts where there the sanshou was open to all styles Chinese and non Chinese. Nam Pai Chuan never lost one bout to any other style. Resulting in seven national champions.

One of our precepts is "assume nothing" perhaps you should consider this.

Ben Gash
02-11-2004, 04:11 AM
I think it's a little harsh to say they're trying to claim ownership of all Shaolin Wushu. They've registered their school name as a trademark. As I understand it, this is not an uncommon practice in Canada, and may me that they've had problems with former students or imposters.
From their photos I can't say there's anything wrong with their kung fu (unless those photo'd have been training for twenty years), and Sek Koh Sam has various representatives around the world who aren't affiliated with this group (Jurg Ziegler in Switzerland springs to mind).

rik
02-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Ben Gash wrote:
I think it's a little harsh to say they're trying to claim ownership of all Shaolin Wushu.
I find it rather insulting and ridiculous for one organization to lay claim to exclusive ownership of an ancient piece of Chinese culture and further claim it is their intellectual property.
Ben Gash wrote:
They've registered their school name as a trademark. . . .
No they have not. They are trying to register
"Shaolin Wushu" as their trademark.
Ben Gash wrote:
As I understand it, this is not an uncommon practice in Canada, . . . .
Actually if this happens, it would be very unusal - as it would be in most other countries. According the trademark guidelines, as I undersand them, you may not register a word or words such as 'Shaolin wushu' which are clearly descriptive, or a word or words that are clearly designate the place of origin or words that constitute the name of the wares or services in another language–such as "gelato," Italian for ice cream; "anorak," Inuktitut for parka; or "Wurst," German for sausage.

r.

David Jamieson
02-11-2004, 09:11 AM
I believe the shaolin wushu registered trademark attempt was denied anyways, so it's here nor there really.

It was denied for all the right reasons i understand.
my personal opinion is that trying to horde the shaolin name for one school is a bit of a cheesy move anyway. lol

even the actual shaolin temple is more generous than that.

cheers

rik
02-11-2004, 12:58 PM
"even the actual shaolin temple is more generous than that."

look carefully at their website

http://www.shaolinwushu.ca

Ben Gash
02-17-2004, 11:49 AM
The name of their school IS shaolin wushu :rolleyes:
As to the wider issues surrounding it, that's another story...

saolim
03-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Nam Pai Chuan

In Pinyin the name of the school would be 'Nan Bei Quan', which translates to Southern and Northern Fist. I was told that this doesn't really means that the style is a mix of Northern and Southern techniques, but that the name was given to the style as a symbol of the vast and wide knowlegde Sek Koh Sam.

Sek Koh Sam -> Quek Heng Choon -> Lai Khee Choong
Master Lai is the founder of The Shaolin Sytem Nam Pai Chuan Worldwide. He formalized the traditional shaolin teachings into a structured program.

More info:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/info-kungfu-supply/shigaocan/quek_heng_choon.htm

or www.sekkohsam.tk