View Full Version : kata applications - 1

MaFuYee
06-14-2000, 12:33 AM

[This message has been edited by MaFuYee (edited 06-23-2000).]

Robinf
06-14-2000, 12:50 AM
Oooooo, a creative post.

[a middle outside block and punch]

The block is to redirect and incoming technique, therefore, redirecting the attacker off their center and down in toward you as you launch your fist into their incoming throat, kicking up the middle into their groin or their face (depending on how far back they're falling).

nospam
06-14-2000, 01:05 AM
Huh!? I dunna follow.

"low block, punch" - where the heck did this kick to the throat come from? If so, include it as "low block, punch & high kick".

Are we talking karate?

Robinf
06-14-2000, 01:33 AM
Sounds like a taekwondo drill. I think he's trying to say is that the drill is so that you block and strike, that you get used to blocking and striking. The strike can be anything. That punch can be a decoy to distract then the foot comes in.

Wongsifu
06-14-2000, 10:47 AM
the post is meant to show that if you keep practising one move against an opponent i e low block punch against his kick,you will get stuck there. where as if you practise katas you will be able to adapt to the situation, because you learn the body movement and apply it as you like.
Its a very good point on forms that i hadnt thought of. kind of like wing chun says block a gate attack not a specific punch. Realists miss out on this because they always go for specific real attacks.

Robinf
06-14-2000, 06:18 PM
Good explanation, Wong.

nospam
06-14-2000, 08:36 PM
I disagree that 'realists' miss out on that. Nothing is wrong with targetting a specific real attack. Dynamic Interchange will dictate the end result, but nothing is wrong with taking a more substantive or concrete strike.

Now, if you meant just training and executing combination moves, then I will agree. It is effective, but very limiting against a fighter who knows his or her respective stuff.

MaFuYee
06-15-2000, 11:16 PM

[This message has been edited by MaFuYee (edited 06-23-2000).]