PDA

View Full Version : Bead Bracelets

Vash
11-28-2003, 12:57 AM
Hey Gene,

Don't suppose you know where I could find some of those swell bead bracelets, as sported by the super-terrific Shaolin monks?

Vash
11-29-2003, 07:02 PM
ttt and hi kkm.

MasterKiller
12-01-2003, 07:22 AM
http://www.tibetanspirit.com/proof/jewelry/html/malas.html

GeneChing
12-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Right now, we're out of stock of the wrist beads. We only carry the Big bead necklaces (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/70611.html). I don't know when we will go back in stock of the wrist beads, we sometimes get a box with our China shipments.

Vash
12-01-2003, 04:36 PM
MK:

Thanks for the link. Some cool stuff there.

GC:

:( I'll check out the martial arts mart periodically to see if you'll get any in. I like those at the Tibetan site linked by MasterKiller, but I rather prefer the Shaolin variety.

(I wonder if I could start insulting religions with this thread?)

MasterKiller
12-02-2003, 07:13 AM
Vash,
The bodhiseed and sandlewood beads on that site are traditional Buddhist beads. The Buddha was enlightened underneath a Bodhi tree. Gene might correct me, but I'm pretty sure the monks at Shaolin wear these two types of beads just like other Buddhist monks. In fact, if you ever go to a "Wheel of Life" tour, they sell bodhi seed bracelets as "authentic Shaolin beads" (at least they did in Dallas).

Anyway, I have bought from that site many times. The orders are fast, and part of the proceeds are sent to the Free Tibet foundation. If you look close enough in the new KF/TC magazine at the Taiji Legacy article, you can see a 108 set of Bodhi seeds wrapped around my right forearm. ;)

Vash
12-02-2003, 09:49 AM
I didn't know that. I'll give the sight another look, see if I can find so ething that suits my interest.

GeneChing
12-02-2003, 11:08 AM
The Shaolin monks wear all sorts of beads - bodhi seed, lotus seed, andlewood, semi-precious stone, all sorts of material. In Chinese, they are called 'fozhu'. Every temple sells beads to pilgrims and tourists. Monks often give them as gifts. In fact, I have a set given to me from Shi Yanling right beside my CRT here, dangling from my excalibur letter opener, next to my 2008 olympics switchblade.

Generally speaking, the beads sold at Shaolin aren't that spectacular - it's just hte sentimental value of having them come from Shaolin. Of course, the big bead necklace listed above is exceptional, just because they are so big. The monks love the big beads, and will often wear necklaces like beefy bracelets. It's a big ostentacious for casual wear, obviously.

I've been collecting buddhist beads for years, although I seldom wear them personally. My favorites are the bodhi seed ones that I got from Bodhi Gaya, where Buddha was enlightened. These seeds are selected for their patterns - strange little knots called 'eyes'. Most common is no eye, one eye or two eye. I have several three eye, and one ornate four eye bracelet that is quite rare (although i'm told that five eye ones exist). Additionally, I have a set made of solid steel from Shaolin, both necklace and bracelet. I've found that set in '96 at some distant tourist booth - the store had only a few sets. I've never found them again.