PDA

View Full Version : 2 stupid questions ........or?

Nador
11-30-2003, 04:04 AM
First question
How many theories and concepts is there within the Wing Chun style and I mean all linage out there that’s know. I’ve heard of five line, triangle, magnetic zone, centerline off course and some others I don’t remember right now. How many off those really exist and what does them all mean or work. In the lineage I’m in we don’t discuss any off this we just practice protecting the centerline and using forward force basically. And are some of the theories / concepts “new” like after constructions to help explain the style.

Secound question
Some I have hear say that Wing Chun have a advanced footwork. How many ways is there to move in wing chun I know that we do (in the lineage I’m in) arrow walk cirklestep triangle step, side step, 45 degrees, 90 degree and a combination off side step cirklestep arrow walk that we call biu ma. Anny other footworkout there: name and how to perform it.

Nador
11-30-2003, 08:02 AM
I allways avoid using search tools becouse they basacally they suck, I never find what Im looking for. The linage is Yiu Choy linage in the organisation M.A.I.

Yiu Choy - Yiu Kil - Wai Po Tang (M.A.I.)
Well the five line is five lines divided the body, read about it and dunno whats it's good for. The lines goes outside the shoulders then you have the center line and between those three lines you have 2 more lines on both sides off the centerline. Lines goes vertical down. A bit confused explination I hope you got it.

magnetic zon - just heard it mentioned (my question) but I think it's a WT concept off some kind, might have a other name for it in other lineage.

reneritchie
11-30-2003, 12:13 PM
It depends how apt the student is. No joke. If they are a visual learner with good kenethetic awareness, you don't need to give them much beyond the most simple, essential conceptual foundation and they will achieve great results.

The less apt the student, the more complex verbiage you will need to try and explain things to them, the more example movements, the more step-by-step patterning, etc.

This is the reason you sometimes hear people talking about 1 kick vs. 8 kicks vs. infinite kicks. The good ones only need 1 to realize an infinite.

If you're really, really good, you only need to step in and punch, and it will cleave down everything under heaven.

If not, maybe 8x8 hand movements with n dimensional footwork might be needed, and still not quite get the job done.

John Weiland
11-30-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Nador
First question
How many theories and concepts is there within the Wing Chun style and I mean all linage out there that’s know. I’ve heard of five line, triangle, magnetic zone, centerline off course and some others I don’t remember right now. How many off those really exist and what does them all mean or work. In the lineage I’m in we don’t discuss any off this we just practice protecting the centerline and using forward force basically. And are some of the theories / concepts “new” like after constructions to help explain the style.

Secound question
Some I have hear say that Wing Chun have a advanced footwork. How many ways is there to move in wing chun I know that we do (in the lineage I’m in) arrow walk cirklestep triangle step, side step, 45 degrees, 90 degree and a combination off side step cirklestep arrow walk that we call biu ma. Anny other footworkout there: name and how to perform it.
Hi Nador,

I agree with Rene's comments, but your questions aren't stupid, they just show the confusion that exists due to different lineages emphases and the explanations therein. Your and your teacher's world view influences your mental construct of the art. How you perceive the principles depends on what is emphasized.

Your best bet to find out the answers is to visit other styles' schools, pay attention to their answers, and if it makes sense to you, incorporate that into your mental image and training theory. If you find that it is just confusing gobbledygook or marketing hype, you will also have learned something.

Phil Redmond and Savi have gone to some length to explain their respective styles' principles here on KFO, as have I on occasion re mine. The most important principles that I adhere to are the centerline principle and staying relaxed. A focus on that should keep you busy for a long while. Oh, and practice, practice, practice. :D

Regards,

Nador
12-01-2003, 03:02 PM
Cheers, but Im stil intressted in the theories in wing chun /tsun now when I hear different theories, anyone know a good website about wing chun sayings, theories and concepts etc.

Rene I have read your book u made togheter with Robert Chu and it was a really intresting book about the different lineage, to manny names for me to follow so I lost track a bit now and then, but I will read it again.

Why isn't Moy Yat mentioned or was he a part of the Yip Man wing chun? After all he was off the closes student off Yip Man or am I missinformed?

reneritchie
12-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Web: try Wing Chun Archives (http://www.wingchunkuen.com/)

Thanks for the comments on Complete Wing Chun. Moy Yat is mentioned several times. In the forewards (pg. ix), acknowledgements (xi), in the Yip Man chapter (9), and in the glossary (128). Strangely, though his name appears all these times, and others appear less, he's the only one I'm ever asked about not-including. Clearly, there's a lot of interest and so, if there's ever a second edition, I guess I will have to pump up the volume! :)

Keng Geng
12-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by reneritchie
Clearly, there's a lot of interest and so, if there's ever a second edition, I guess I will have to pump up the volume! :) Perhaps you could obtain the insignia from Tom Kagan.

Keng Geng
12-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Nador
First question
How many theories and concepts is there within the Wing Chun style and I mean all linage out there that’s know. Well which one is it? Theories or concepts? To get the answer you would have to visit every Wing Chun school and count them.

How many off those really exist and what does them all mean or work. All of them I'm sure.

In the lineage I’m in we don’t discuss any off this we just practice protecting the centerline and using forward force basically. I'm sure your school then is very good at protecting doing that then. Whereas other schools that have other concepts and theories have other advantages. There is more to the centreline than the centreline itself.

And are some of the theories / concepts “new” like after constructions to help explain the style.The concepts have always been there I'm sure. It could be a matter of one teacher proclaiming one, and others jumping on the bandwagon. However, there are theories, and then there are teaching/training methods. The other thing is there are a lot of new Wing Chun teachers who think about their Wing Chun very differently than the way they were taught - seeking to understand it in a deeper way. Then possibly proceeding to teach it in a way that is very different than their own sifu. Like a new "expression" of what they learned.

Some I have hear say that Wing Chun have a advanced footwork. Hopefully in your club, a student who has been training for 8 years is not stepping like a 1 year student.

How many ways is there to move in wing chun I know that we do (in the lineage I’m in) arrow walk cirklestep triangle step, side step, 45 degrees, 90 degree and a combination off side step cirklestep arrow walk that we call biu ma. Anny other footworkout there: name and how to perform it. Too much to mention

old jong
12-03-2003, 08:07 AM
All I can say is ; the only valid theories,concepts,techniques,footsteps...etc...Are those that are sinked in your subcounscience and in your "bones".
The most basic principles like "recieve what comes" can take many years to be fully understood and integrated in practice.
Miss that one and your Wing Chun will be only some technique collection without any real value ;)

reneritchie
12-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Perhaps you could obtain the insignia from Tom Kagan.

It would be just about first on my to-do list.