PDA

View Full Version : Wang Peisheng?

Brad
11-30-2003, 04:57 PM
So who is this guy? Saw his pic and feel like I should know who he is(famous... taiji... that's all I can think of, lol)... but I can't seem to place him :p

bodhitree
12-03-2003, 07:42 AM
he teaches in Beijing. A couple of his disciples now teach here in Pittsburgh.

Ma_Xu_Zha
12-10-2003, 10:46 PM
In mainland china there is a book on every taiji style. he wrote the book on Wu (wu chian chuan)style taiji in the early 80's from the beijing perspective of wu taiji. He also was one of the first teachers to start coming over from china to usa and do seminars on taiji at the 'Taste of China' tournament in early 90's. He had the first real active and alive taiji forms I have ever seen during a masters demo. Wang Peishan perormed a fast wu style much different from Ma Yue Liang's fast wu style seen in shanghai.

bodhitree
12-12-2003, 08:18 AM
ycgfa.com

yin cheng gong fa association.

scholar
12-12-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Ma_Xu_Zha
In mainland china there is a book on every taiji style. he wrote the book on Wu (wu chian chuan)style taiji in the early 80's from the beijing perspective of wu taiji. He also was one of the first teachers to start coming over from china to usa and do seminars on taiji at the 'Taste of China' tournament in early 90's. He had the first real active and alive taiji forms I have ever seen during a masters demo. Wang Peishan perormed a fast wu style much different from Ma Yue Liang's fast wu style seen in shanghai.

The "Northern Wu" school that Wang Pei-sheng represents actually traces its descent from students of Wu Chien-ch'uan's father, Wu Ch'uan-yu, and not at all from Wu Chien-ch'uan. Wu Chien-ch'uan did live and teach in Beijing until he was 58 years old, and only then (in 1928) did he move to Shanghai, but the Northern Wu group apparently didn't have any relationship with him, for whatever reason.

T'ai Chi forms from different teachers, even very closely related teachers, can differ remarkably. Ma Yueh-liang and his wife, the late Wu Ying-hua, had slow forms that were noticeably different from each other. Fast forms are prone to be even more idiosyncratic, but forms in general vary due to body type and which of the 8 gates and 5 steps that the performer wants to emphasize and in which order.