PDA

View Full Version : Holy Jeebus! 1100 lbs squat...

Ford Prefect
12-01-2003, 10:50 AM
I know not everyone is impressed by this, but ...

http://www.joeskopec.com/goggins1102.wmv

1102 lbs squat!

IronFist
12-01-2003, 11:08 AM
What kind of squat was that? His hands were on his chest. Was the bar connected to his suit somehow or something?

Ford Prefect
12-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Those were the spotter's hands (standing behind him) ready to catch him if he failed.

fa_jing
12-01-2003, 12:10 PM
How about 1102 pounds squat on one leg? While whistling "America the Beautiful." Now THAT would be impressive.

IronFist
12-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Those were the spotter's hands (standing behind him) ready to catch him if he failed.

Duh. You know what, the other computer that I watched that on had a really small window playing it so I couldn't really tell what was going on. I just watched it with a bigger window and yeah, I see his hands on the bar now.

That makes a lot more sense... I was like wtf?

Ford Prefect
12-01-2003, 01:10 PM
haha! That's what I figured. That'd be a pretty neat trick though!

Ford Prefect
12-01-2003, 01:20 PM
BTW, Fa_jing. Only old Russian farmers and Spetnaz could do that and they certainly don't know "America the Beautiful". ;)

WinterPalm
12-01-2003, 09:07 PM
Now all we need is a video of a guy doing the heaviest deadlift and I'll be happy. By the by, does anyone know the amount.
Or how about a video of someone closing the #4 Captains of Crush gripper. That would be cool.

Ford Prefect
12-02-2003, 07:13 AM
I can close a #4..... with a hydraulic press

rubthebuddha
12-02-2003, 01:18 PM
we could also use a video of someone doing a pullup with a mini attached to their belt.

that one, i'm working on. i'll let you know how it goes once my hormones come in.

Toby
12-02-2003, 07:02 PM
Anyone closing the #2? I can get it so the handles are just past parallel, but nowhere near closed. I'm doing either 5x5 or 4x6 on the #1.

BTW, I still can't consistently get a good position with the gripper. I usually reposition it slightly each rep. Some reps I can close it easily, other times I can't no matter how much effort I put in. It's not strength related, because sometimes e.g. I might struggle the first 2-3 reps, then get the 4th & 5th, and miss the 6th. The gripper also seems to be more suited to the right hand because of the orientation of the spring. Of course, my right arm is stronger anyway, can't figure out why :p?

IronFist
12-03-2003, 12:45 AM
^ I have to set it up in my hand with both hands. It seems to be made for hands that are slightly larger than mine, so it takes a bit of adjusting before I am ready to squeeze it.

I can close T and #1. Some guy at my gym had a #2 once and he let me try it and I got it maybe 50%-66% of the way closed. He was like "not bad for your first try."

I do wish they were a bit smaller, though.

Ford Prefect
12-03-2003, 06:13 AM
I agree that a lot of it is in the positioning of the hand. I can close a #2 for 0-3 reps depending on the day and if I get the positioning right. I use a lot of other grip implements to aid in my rock climbing. I don't go out often, but it helps 1,000% when I can. Oh yeah... my right hand is stronger too. :cool:

dwid
12-03-2003, 07:21 AM
On the website, they suggest practicing the negative part of the movement on the #2 as an intermediary step between one and two. Has anyone tried this? Results?

I just got my Trainer and #1 this week, so I'm a newbie to this. Hopefully I'll be crushing golfballs like that guy Oddjob from Goldfinger in no time...
:D

Ford Prefect
12-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Yup. I did negatives and I'd also close it with two hands and then statically hold it shut for as long as possible with one hand to build up the strength.

CD Lee
12-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Well, I am not impressed by that squat. You see, I can't tell how much he squats by looking at his body. What is he gonna do next time he is at the beach dude? How will girls know he is so strong? Like...I just totally...like, don't get it dude.

;)

Ford Prefect
12-03-2003, 09:42 AM
haha! That sounds familiar.

SanSoo Student
12-03-2003, 09:54 AM
It looks like the spotter was grabbing the guy's man boobies. :D

CD Lee
12-03-2003, 10:24 AM
The squatter was most likely ****phobic. They did that at the last minute to insure that if the guy got stuck, the spotter would pinch his man boobs, causing his ****phobic energy surge to get past the sticking point. Thus ensuring a successful lift! Fear can be a great motivator. :D

Hey, thats one helluva squat people. My goodness. Pretty incredible.

Toby
12-03-2003, 07:03 PM
Hijacking again. Ford, you must have goddam strong forearms. That #2 is very hard. I mean, I've gotta get the position right just to close it with 2 hands, let alone #1. I hate to think what a #3 or #4 is like. Wouldn't want to shake hands with either of the 2 guys that closed a #4.

dwid, enjoy. I went straight to a #1 and #2. I'm glad I did, because the #1 tests my strength and the #2 gives me something to aspire too. Although I wouldn't mind having a #T to work high reps. They're night and day from my old generic sports store gripper. That feels like crushing a half-full balloon now.

I do negatives with the #2. I usually finish up my 5x5 or 4x6 on the #1 with a couple of negatives on the #2. I still do it sitting in front of the TV, though. Ironmind recommends not to, but it doesn't seem to matter to me. It's not like I'm not concentrating on the crush, anyway.

dwid
12-04-2003, 08:14 AM
Well, I can't really close a #1 yet (consistently), so I guess I have a long way to go. As it is, I'm glad I got the trainer, because it will be a while before I'm ready for anything else. I'm working on a 2 days on, 1 day off thing right now, because doing 3 sets of 5 on the trainer 3 days in a row has left me pretty sore.

I'm confident I'll be crushing coconuts in no time though, which will be a sweet party trick. :D

WinterPalm
12-04-2003, 07:39 PM
I've closed the #1 seven times when I go straight for reps. I'm pretty sure I could get ten but I've never tried. Right now I practice a form called Gung Lik Kuen from the Black Tiger system I'm learning and it leaves the forearms sore and pumped. That combined with tiger iron palm leaves my hands sore to do a lot of gripping but I still manage. I've just ordered the #2 yesterday and can't wait for it to arrive.
Question for anyone it applies, how was closing the #2 after training for a significant amount of time on the #1?
Take care