PDA

View Full Version : general opinion of ninjitsu?

mild7
06-30-2000, 01:11 PM
Hi, just wanted to know what you guys think of ninjitsu(bujinkan, in particular).
I've done martial arts for most of my life(TKD, Judo, Aikido, kickboxing) and have recently started up ninjitsu. I was really impressed by the instructor and his abilities.
From what I've seen, ninjitsu seems to be the next best thing to Arnis for general street-defense(weapons etc)..
But what are your opinions on this? Thanks for your time!

Slater_E
07-02-2000, 06:14 AM
I've researched teh arts of the ninja's very carefully for a couple of years. It seems to me that aside from their fighting style, a key to their weaponry is improvisation. They use all kind of weapons, and although they have a style of fighting and such, they also kind of use whatever works. I really like the idea of ninjutsu, and am looking for a teacher in teh Seattle Area. if you have any leads or idea that would be really really great. =)
Hope I didn't sound like a fool.

------------------
"In a fight, there is no second place."

DrunkenMonkey
07-04-2000, 07:14 PM
You live in Seattle? I don't live far from there. Anyways, yeah. Ninjas are taught to improvise. A lot of their training is really survival and such.

------------------
Underaged Drunken Monkey

Sithlord
07-06-2000, 07:52 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm........I'm wondering if anybody has an opinion on Frank Dux.

------------------
May the darkside of the force be with you.

-Sithlord

Good, better, Me
07-12-2000, 01:22 AM
Frank Dux. A genius guy. Can do wonders. He has teached Van Damme in the movie called Blood sport.

Any opinions of Van Damme?

------------------
If there is fighting. There is me.

rogue
07-15-2000, 09:18 AM
Real dumb question but, what do these Ninja masters do with their skill set?

Hiroshi Tanaka
07-15-2000, 03:07 PM
Rogue. If you study something like Karate, You don't only learn it, but you also keep the tradition of learning. There are many styles which have been forgotten. Some styles are worth knowing, not only for selfdefence but also for studying the ancient tradition. So when you have mastered ninjitsu, you don't have to use your skills, because knowledge is more important then skill. The knowledge of the tradition

------------------
Anything you wish for can be reached, but be careful what you wish for

MoQ
07-17-2000, 10:54 PM
Beautiful sentiment Hiroshi...

rogue
07-18-2000, 12:36 AM
I agree, well put. Still my question stands, what do you ninjas out there do with your, let's say, unique skill set? How does it help you in your daily life? What has your sensei used it for? What are you hoping to get out of it?

Hiroshi Tanaka
07-19-2000, 07:03 PM
Ninjutsu teaches you, the unique instinct. You might sometime have to use your skills in the streets, and Taijitsu teaches you fast kicking etc. And it also teaches you to run away fast, haha!!

------------------
Anything you wish for can be reached, but be careful what you wish for

shaolindodude
08-02-2000, 11:52 PM
fighting was only a part of the art of ninjitsu, and if thats all your learning then you arn't realy learning ninjitsu at all. just some practical fighting technics.

08-04-2000, 11:58 PM
Unlike you kung fu guys fighting in clubs and teahouses, ninjas kill be stealth. Many of our techniques are applied to the oblivious. It is thought of as bad technique if an opponent squares up to defend themselves. SOme of the ninja techniques such as attuning yourself to become invisible or morphing into animals is not unique to ninjitsu, but also practiced by some Native American groups.

rogue
08-05-2000, 02:00 AM
Yo dude, pass that crack pipe over here!

mild7
08-05-2000, 10:44 AM
it is interesting how some ppl just put down ninjitsu without base. ninjitsu works and that's that.
yes, it's true that a lot of the art of ninjitsu is'nt taught nowadays(espionage etc) that's why Soke Hatsumi prefers to call the art Budo Taijutsu, as it is focused on fighting nowadays.

totallyfrozen
08-07-2000, 03:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NinjaStar:
Unlike you kung fu guys fighting in clubs and teahouses, ninjas kill be stealth. Many of our techniques are applied to the oblivious. It is thought of as bad technique if an opponent squares up to defend themselves. SOme of the ninja techniques such as attuning yourself to become invisible or morphing into animals is not unique to ninjitsu, but also practiced by some Native American groups.[/quote]
Oh, just shut up...
You don't know what you are talking about. What a joke. You proabably don't even know how to set up an ambush and you are talking about killing with stealth.
Like I said before, join the military, kid..and learn what combat is like before you talk a bunch of smack.
I'm sorry..I don't mean to come down on you so hard and perhaps I should show more patience toward you. I just get a bit weary of hearing people talk about being "commandos" without even knowing how scary and dirty it really is.
You don't feel "cool" in a fight...you feel scared. You use stealth not because you are "so incredibly cool" but because if you don't, the other guy will KILL you.
Stop trying to sound like a superhero. I had a good friend in the Army, who was a Green Beret, and he was killed. I guarantee he knew more about stealth and ambush that you will learn in your lifetime...yet he was killed. Battle is not as cool as you make is sound.
I'm sorry to be so harsh on you...but it's a real drag to hear you go on about it sometimes.

totallyfrozen
08-07-2000, 03:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mild7:
it is interesting how some ppl just put down ninjitsu without base. ninjitsu works and that's that.
yes, it's true that a lot of the art of ninjitsu is'nt taught nowadays(espionage etc) that's why Soke Hatsumi prefers to call the art Budo Taijutsu, as it is focused on fighting nowadays.
[/quote]
The skills of the ninja ARE taught today...but by another name. The ideas, and even some techniques of ninjitsu are what made up alot of the things that military elite units do.
Stealth (or "secrets of invisibility" as our superhero NinjaStar would call it), recon (espionage), determination, courage, etc.
I guess I'm saying the arts aren't lost...they are just not really applicable in a civilian setting so they don't usually get taught in a dojo. How many martial arts schools want to be held liable for teaching you how to sneak up on someone and kill them from behind with a knife? That's ninjitsu..but it's not legal outside the military arena. You see what I mean?
Of course, I could be somewhat wrong. Maybe Ashida Kim or Stephen K. Hayes DOES teach assasination and ambush techniques.
I don't know...
good question, I guess.

[This message has been edited by totallyfrozen (edited 08-07-2000).]

origenx
08-11-2000, 03:37 AM
I'd like to see someone disappear or morph into an animal. I really would.

rmata2001
08-11-2000, 11:03 AM
A while back in New York, I knew of a CNE (Certified Novell Engineer), who had spent most of his childhood in Japan training with his uncle in a system called Togakure Ryu. He stated that there are quite a few number of "ancients" around and thriving today.

rmata2001
08-11-2000, 11:08 AM
Around the time that I was training, some of my buddies and I visited these supposedly "Ninjitusu" schools in Manhattan. Man, it was a joke. What these guys were doing resembled nothin that we was learning.
Training for us didn't take place in a kwoon or school. We used to train, after work, in a park in Brooklyn. Many nights we trained outdoor in frigid weather, i.e. under 10 degrees. We would do taijutsu, grappling, multiple attacks, kihonju (don't grade me on spelling), aikijitsu, build fires, bo training, tumbling, climbing, philosophy, history, mindset, theories, etc.

Many times we would reported to work the next day with bruises, once with a black eye and repeat the whole thing again the next day. And not once were we charged for the training. Which is probably why we got our asses kicked.

It was a privelege and an honor to train w/ CNE. This guy's amazing. Incredible power, speed, flexibility and strength. On a whim, he once was goaded into entering a martial arts tournament by some friends and he walked away with the grand prize in kumite.

He said that everything is ninjitsu and shared a story with us to help demonstrate this:

A guy, who had a black belt in karate, went to get his car that he had parked in a parking lot. As he got in the driver's seat and before he could turn the ignition on, a mugger appeared from nowhere and demanded his money. Remembering he had a gun under his seat, the black belt reached for it and shot the mugger. When asked by a bystander if he had used his art to subdue the mugger, the black belt said, "No, I didn't have a chance to use it."

The same thing happened to a ninjitsu man and when asked by a bystander if he had used his art, he replied with, "Of course I did. I shot him between the eyes."

Everything is ninjitsu.

totallyfrozen
08-15-2000, 12:23 PM
Sounds like Ninjitsu and Jeet Kune Do aren't much different. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

By the way, wouldn't a "ninjitsu man" be called a Ninja? Or is Ninja some high rank in ninjitsu?

[This message has been edited by totallyfrozen (edited 08-16-2000).]

mild7
08-15-2000, 03:20 PM
Yes, ninjitsu is actually very similar to Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do. Almost like a more traditional version of JFJKD that focuses on weapons more.
It still is'nt a complete martial art though, much like JFJKD. Groundfighting is a little deficient.

In general a ninjitsu man could be called a ninja... but it does'nt sound 'nice', sounds like an assassin or something. Anyway 'ninjitsu' is simply the slang term for the art. The art is now referred to as Budo Taijutsu(in Japan). But America is a little slow to catch on.. probly because some ninja schools are still trying to cash in on the ninjitsu name.