PDA

View Full Version : any tips on attacking?........techniques, combinations?

grand master
07-05-2000, 06:59 AM
hey im no hooligan or ne thing but i was wondering if ne 1 had ne tips on attacking, i spar regularly with a group of friends and defend easily and if i am not attacked i run out of ideas very quickly actually immediately on what i should do, also there are times when you are provoked to the extreme and i usually send over the famous right and that only but this is boring and predictable, i was wondering if anybody had ne suggestions on some combinations or some techniques which i could add to my armoury(i cannot kick high so please leave that out , and no commical kick higher in response to that statement, i really use kicks ne way and do not wish too) please only hand combinations and techniques. cheers

firecontrol
07-05-2000, 09:20 AM
I'd suggest you work on your fakes and combinations. Don't just hit once and seperate. Here's a few I like to do.

-Fake a low thigh kick, hit to the head with the same side hand, follow up (work on the distance with this.
-jab out of reach, fake cross, low thigh shot (again, judge the distance) follow up with combo
-jab, cross, lead hook, rear uppercut, knee to the thigh, hook to the body, follow up
-kick the leg a few times to set this up-look at opponents leg, then throw a low kick a little slower than you usually do, watch his reaction, if he tries to defend the low kick, swiftly change the angle and go for the body or the head, then follow up
-fake rear kick, jumping overhand/cross

these are just a few things you can work on, but. . . the most important advice I can give you about faking is that it's better to fake a shot that's already been thrown especially if you've hit the opponent with it a few times, example: you've hit you're opponent with a jab three times, now he's defending it. HE IS ANTICIPATING, now you can fake the jab, and go for another shot to set up your combination.

on combinations: a good way to fool your opponent is to work a good combination. change angle and level of attacks. go (H)igh,
then (L)ow, then (H)igh, left, right, up, and down this is just an example.

-HHH
-HLH
-LLH
etc. etc.

I'd write more, but I really have to go . . .. good luck

firecontrol
07-05-2000, 12:56 PM
I'm back so here's some more . . .
I won't/can't teach you techniques, 'cause this ain't no gym or training hall, but I'll give you what principle and concepts I know. Continuing from the above . . .

ON FAKES: aside from what I've already written, another way to a good indirect attack is by changeing the angle of your shot in midthrow. Lets say you have a shovel hook to the body (cross between a hook and an uppercut, thrown diagonlly upwards). Now that shovel hook can look like a hook or an uppercut. Throw it to the body a few times, then turn it in midstream to a hook or an uppercut. The principle here is to CHANGE THE ANGLE OF ATTACK AFTER ITS THROWN, you MUST watch the opponents reaction as you're throwing it.

Included in this is CHANGING THE SPEED of your fake. Sometimes if you go a little slower than your normal speed the already anticipating opponent will work hastily to defend and open another line when you see that change the angle swiftly and you can catch them.

CAUTION: an opponent can always counter against your faked attack at the same time, so when you throw the fake, be very aware of the opponents reaction and be quick to defend.

ON CHANGEING SPEED: **changeing speeds is a good way to judge you're opponents reaction time to certain angles/types of attack and helps you to learn where his defensive weakness lies for you to take advantage of** Let's say you throw a low thigh kick at two thirds speed and every time he brings a hand down to defend. That tells you that he opens his head up by bringing the hand down. Now you can throw a fake low kick, step in and hook, jab or cross (and if you work on your flexibility, kick him in the head with the same leg).

However, the same caution applies, changeing speeds opens up a point in time where your opponent can counter you so remember, watch your opponent closely when you're throwing a fake and be ready to defend.

A SIDE NOTE: This may seem contradictory but it really isn't. A fake must be very convincing and the follow up must be thrown with AGGRESSION (explosiveness, speed, and power)NOT ANGER, in order to take full advantage of the open line...watch your balance and facilitate your attack with good footwork. The problem with this is that it sometimes becomes hard to watch an opponents reaction to your fake when all you're thinking of doing is hitting them. It all comes down to practice.

I got a lot more for you since I'm really bored . . . It's you're lucky day, my friend.
I'd charge you but I'm being generous /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

firecontrol
07-05-2000, 01:51 PM
moving along . . . .

ON CHANGING HEIGHT/LEVELS: I touched on this in my first post but let me go a little bit more into it. Changing height and level of attacks in combination works to keep an opponent off balance, hoping to confuse his defense. You're looking to slip in those really good hits when he's defending.
ALSO . . . stay aware of your opponent. Don't go into a blind hitting rage (unless the opponent just sucks) . . . someday you'll meet that one guy who can actually fight, so keep your head. Staying aware of your opponent will allow you to see what other angles of attack are available while he's defending from a combination. Find what he's ingoring and make him pay for not defending it. This will force the opponent to react and give you other opportunities at different targets.

SIDE NOTE: ***KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN*** (unless your eye is getting hit) big rule . . . really helps in defense and attack, don't go closing your eyes (FLINCHING) when a punch is flashed at your face. Some people also close their eyes (BLINK) when they strike. If you have that habit, break yourself from it NOW. I mean It, it's absolutely necessary.

OH, BEFORE I CONTINUE: My posts are to help anyone become a better fighter. But I'd like to think that everyone is using these powers I teach for good. Don't use it for the dark side . . . /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif pretty please?

grand master
07-05-2000, 08:18 PM
Hey thanx for the advice fire, i might invite some friends down for a quick spar ,hehe, cheers

Sithlord
07-05-2000, 08:50 PM
HMmmmmmmm.....some GOOD stuff there!

You may also want to work on countering attacks. When someone throws a punch for ex., you could block it and then take hold of his/her hand at the wrist........from there you have the temproary advantage.

-May the darkside of the force be with you. *evil grin*

Sithlord

firecontrol
07-06-2000, 01:56 AM
Whew!!! I was drunk last night and I guess I let some of my personal tactics get on the forum . . . Oh well (sigh) . . . A Good coach/instructor can teach you these things as well, also a few good books like the Tao of Jeet Kune Do and other JKD books that deal in theory and concept. Usually if you spar often enough (and get hit enough) you figure a few of these things out for yourself. Fortunately for me (I think) I used to get hit a lot (and hard) so I learned to be sneaky . . . /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Good point on countering, Sith . . . I'll deal with that in more depth in a little while.

MOVING RIGHT ALONG . . .
An opponent is like an instrument. You have to HIT the right strings to play it right. You will need TIMING and RHYTHM.

ON TIMING: YOU MUST KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE OPPONENT, I can't stress this enough. Your timing depends on your opponents rythm and your awareness of his actions. Is the guy quick or slow? Does he hit in one-two's or combinations of three to six shots? Does he move fast fast then slow, or fast fast fast?
What you're looking to do is INSERT YOUR ATTACK AT A MOMENT IN TIME when you see your opponent unprepared in any way. Spar enough, and you can tell. For example, Vitor Belfort fought another Brazilian named Vanderlei Silva (i don't remember what UFC). Vanderlei followed Belfort around the ring (you can see vanderleis rythm by the way he shuffles), when Belfort stopped moving back, Vanderlei faked a right, but he didn't follow up, so Vanderlei started pulling back but Belfort blasted him with left and rights hitting him all the way across the ring. He found that MOMENT IN TIME when his opponent was unprepared.

The best way to describe a Timed attack is with beats. Lets say a person attacks with a constant speed. that's a beat of 1,1,1,1,1
What your looking to do is insert an attack between his beats so as he goes 1 you go 1/2.
so its 1,1/2,1,1/2 etc. this helps to set your own offense and put's them on the defensive.

ON RYTHM: Rythm is the way you move and attack normally. If you've seen boxers and Muay Thai fighters they do these little motions while they're shuffling around, that's the rythm that they'll attack from. They have an internal BEAT. You have it too.

You're own rythm is the basis for your attacks. To throw your opponent off, you have to break your rythm. Let's say you're a fast, fast, slow kind of hitter. You do this for awhile, then you start going slow, fast, fast, fast, slow. Changeing rythm is like changing the beat of your music. You have to throw the opponent off. Get him listening to country, then surprise him with a little heavy metal . . . /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ON A SIDE NOTE: Those little motions that boxers and kickboxers make with their hands also helps to make it hard for the opponent to know when a punch is coming. Being static only makes you a target. So move a little, sway slightly, shuffle, move them hands . . . . (do a little dance, shake a little glove, knock 'em down tonight . . . /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

OH AND ANOTHER THING: all the principles I'v discussed can be applied to grappling/wrestling . . . ex. you fake a single, the opponent moves to sprawl, but you raise yourself up as he's coming down and grab for the bear hug instead and throw him etc etc. Just think on how to apply the principle and your own personal techniques will come. . .

Always watch the opponent. You will get a good feel for their rythm and timing, and when they're unprepared . . . you can give them a good beat down.

firecontrol
07-06-2000, 03:58 AM
Continuing . . .

THE MENTAL ASPECT: The best way for me to put it is to 'think like a hunter'. The prey is dangerous, and could kill you, but you're out to beat it with everything you've got. HUNT the opponent. Hit him, trick him, lure him, trap him.
When you attack . . . ATTACK! While keeping a tight defense when hitting it is imperative that when you decide to attack you do so with all the technique and guile that you have. It's like pulling a trigger on a gun, when you decide to do it, it is done. You are looking to impose your will on your opponent. You MUST become the conductor of the fight.

This doesn't mean that all your attacks must be done with aggression. In your head, is where you have to Think and Feel aggressively, you are out to win/survive . . . remember that.
(You can be defensive and still have an aggressive mindset. Most counter fighters think this way. Pedro Rizzo from the UFC is one of them, so is Marco Ruas, watch their fights to see some good counter fighting)

KNOW YOUR LIMITS AND KNOW WHEN TO QUIT: self explanatory

ALSO: don't be afraid to take a hit. Sometimes you have to take some to get your good shots in. Know which blows won't damage you too much and use your timing to counter and set up your combinations.

I hear Tony Blauer has some great tapes on fear management. I've heard no complaints about him yet . . .

[This message has been edited by firecontrol (edited 07-06-2000).]

firecontrol
07-06-2000, 08:56 PM
CONTINUING . . .

ON GETTING HIT: You're gonna take your licks so suck it up. That's what sparring is all about, well I'm assuming your doing a kickboxing/mixed martial arts/shootfighting type of sparring and not point sparring.
Martial artists out there need to learn not to fear getting hit. You do this through a lot of hard contact sparring (safety applies) and learning how to fight on despite taking blows. A good defense will see that many of the shots will miss, glance, hit your shoulders and arms, or lose power. It's the ones that you don't see that hurt. That's why I keep saying, don't take you're eyes off your opponent, even when you're swinging away. If you want to learn how to swim, get in the water. If you want to learn how to fight, get in the ring.

ON AWARENESS: This is my clarification on why I keep saying, 'don't take your eyes off the opponent!' It has to do with body awareness; that of your opponents body in relation your own. What I mean by this is that from moment to moment in a fight, your body position and his will change and so will the tools that will be available for use. Let's start from the beginning. FOR EXAMPLE: He has a left side forward stance and you've taken a boxer's stance. When you look at him you're seeing what tools he can use. You know that any rear attacks he throws will be telegraphed and a lack full power if you close in on him. All he has are a left punch and a left side kick/round/hook kick to throw at you. While you are in a boxing stance, you know that a side kick can slow you down a bit since most of your body is square and you instinctively start calculating ways to get passed that side kick. Once in close you know you have him.

This analysis of the oponents body weapons in relation to your own is what I mean by AWARENESS. This is very important because it helps in making good tactical decisions. It will definitely help your defense and more importantly your offense. When it comes down to it, the opponent has two arms and legs (hopefully); where are they in relation to you and what can he do in the position that he's at? SOoooo, Keeep your eyes on the opponent!

firecontrol
07-07-2000, 12:03 AM
MOVING RIGHT ALONG . . .
(sorry about the beggining of my last post, I'm just a fanatic about training and when I teach my friends I'm a little overenthusiastic (i get a tad overzealous sometimes)

BACK TO ATTACKING:
ON DRAWING IN OR LURING THE OPPONENT: This crosses over a bit into feints or fakes, but the premise of drawing is to leave an opponent an apparent target that you know you can easily defend and counter by timing him. For example: Let's say you lower your rear hand a little bit and present that side of your head. You know that to attack it with a good shot he can only hit it with tools that go to that side. So you know the target and what general angle it's going to come in at. Your opponent throws a round kick to that side of the head, and immediately you cover, and since you were expecting it by drawing him in, your counter comes out faster, let's say you cover and step sideways and into the opponent and lay on him a good lead straight, cross, hook combo.
Just by attacking you, he's opened himself up. More so since you're know where the attack is going.

You can also draw the opponent by working his defense. Like I said, this falls somewhat into feints. Another Example: You work your jab against him and his main defense is to pat it away. So the next time you throw the jab, you turn it over into a corkscrew hook (throw it early a little bit like a jab, but as it goes out, turn the fist over, thumbside moving downwards as it goes out to the target. what you're looking to do with this punch is to go over and around the defensive arm) hopefully he's fooled and attempts to pat a nonexistant jab and by then you've tagged him and followed up.

clays_90034
07-21-2000, 03:36 AM
You could always just say "hey man I don't know how to fight" then kick him in the nuts and as he bends over you can palm him in the throat. Take his beer, eye his woman then get the hell out of there. Just a suggestion.

Jaguar Wong
07-21-2000, 04:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You could always just say "hey man I don't know how to fight" then kick him in the nuts and as he bends over you can palm him in the throat. Take his beer, eye his woman then get the hell out of there.[/quote]

ROTFL

------------------
Jaguar Wong
www.superaction.com (http://www.superaction.com)

clays_90034
07-24-2000, 02:54 AM
Hey Jaguar Wong. What does ROTFL mean? Also I am new to this site so what does it mean when people quote what you said? One more question. Is that YOUR website or do you just work for it that company? Thanks.

Jaguar Wong
07-24-2000, 04:45 AM
ROTFL: Rolling on the floor laughing.

When someone quotes what you said, it's usually done, so people know who your response is directed to. You don't always need to do it, but I just got lazy, and decided to cut and paste.

I am one of the artists for Action. I also designed the site (all three versions).

------------------
Jaguar Wong
www.superaction.com (http://www.superaction.com)

J.L.BLACKSTONE
08-08-2000, 05:13 PM
EAGER BEAVER IN THE FIRST STAGE OF THERE ATTACK PROJECTS AND SEES YOU AS A PUSH OVER.
THEY CANT FIGHT AND YOU ONLY NEED TO FEEL WHICH WAY THEY ARE GOING. THE SECOND STAGE
THEY REALISE THERE ERROR AND MAKE A DESPERATE ATTACK AS THEY HAVE COMMITED THEMSELVES THE THIRD STAGE WHEN THEY SENSE DANGER THEY PULL THE KNIFE. ANY DEVELOPMENTS OR COUNTERTHEORIES ON THIS.