PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu school near me

PHILBERT
12-02-2003, 10:42 PM
I was going through my bookmarks before when I found a school I had added some time back and forgot about:

http://www.geocities.com/kungfuusa/

Now, I am not bashing this school, however, something in the Instructor's section caught my eye...

http://www.geocities.com/kungfuusa/instructors/index.html

You have 13 Sifu's at the school and 1 Master. And some of them practice styles that no one else there practices (save for the Mantis people). What gets me though is it says all of them studied under Master Clark, and you have Horse, Eagle, Mantis, Drunken Monkey, Panther, White Dragon, Golden Dragon, Cobra, and Scorpion. Does Master Clark know all of these and he teaches these? What do students learn, a little of each, or do they choose from 14 different Sifus and learn that animal?

I just find this to be very unusual.

SaMantis
12-03-2003, 09:46 AM
Hmm, can't say. My first thought is that maybe each instructor knows 1 animal-style form (that they adopt as their own after studying other forms/styles in the curriculum) and they study that to the point that they become the main person in the school to teach it.

Students would learn general basics first, as a group, then either pick a style to learn from its main instructor, or be sent to learn a style based on his/her ability.

Of course, this is an idealized assumption based on my knowing nothing beyond what I saw on the website.

Another great assumption for me to make is that perhaps they're all part of an elite crime-fighting team, and each one has a particular animal specialty, and that when a global threat looms they can interlock into one giant crime-fighting robot that can destroy everything in its path. And also, they might carry a very big, shiny laser sword.

One thing I know for a fact is, I need to get some lunch.

:p

mortal
12-03-2003, 09:54 AM
I just E-mailed that link to all my friends. That was the funniest most cheesy wanna be kung fu school I have ever seen. These people are really wasting there time. The self defense techniques with that person bending over backwards. I laughed so hard. My stomach is still sore. lol

Seriously. All the stances where wrong. Drunken monkey lololo.

I didn't see one correct Pubu. It was all Gong bu facing the other way.

What is scary is these people beleive they could defend themselves with this crap.

Crazy Horse!!!! LOLOLlolol

Looking at that site was the best laugh I've had in weeks.

Kristoffer
12-03-2003, 10:05 AM
LOL (http://www.geocities.com/kungfuusa/images/pictures/collage3.jpg)

CD Lee
12-04-2003, 12:48 PM
Hmmm...brings up a question I didn't know I had. The moves I see on there look wushu or movieish to me, but it could just be bad pictures or marketing.

The one picture of the lady, on one leg, 'striking' at her opponent. I have seen this on kung fu movies, but thought it was just another one of these tv-fu moves. Sincerely, is this a are real Shaolin strike that is used as part of a real combat situation? It seems very dissadvantaged leverage and rooting wise to me. Any comments?

Oh, check out the guy in Tai Chi section that is on the ground, doing the splits 180 degrees perfect, while striking a guy in the groing as he kicks. A little staged if you ask me. But it could be intended to get kids in, who knows?

Abstract
12-05-2003, 12:40 PM
fair maiden carress lover's cheek:
http://www.geocities.com/kungfuusa/curriculum/sparring2.jpg

:p :p

old jong
12-05-2003, 12:45 PM
This pic makes me think about the "go go" dancing in the sixties!...Or was it the "ye ye"?... (http://www.geocities.com/kungfuusa/images/pictures/sifus2.jpg) ;)

Abstract
12-05-2003, 12:55 PM
did u see the styles they teach???:eek:

Smilin' Eagle
Crazy Tiger
Crazy Horse--->isn't that a song?
Silent Eagle
Red Scorpion

CRAZY HORSE?? are they serious? ok. all jokes aside(even though i can't stop laughing), wtf?

what's the next style they'll teach? Red Bull? i mean C'MON...SMILIN' EAGLE??? since when did Shaolin start using street slang for their forms??

smilin eagle indeed
:p :rolleyes:

Kristoffer
12-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Frontin Dragon beeeeeeeeeeeeatch

MC Taiji Hips
12-05-2003, 03:23 PM
Crazy Horse was an Indian...maybe he trained under that indian cat who knows kempo.

PHILBERT
12-05-2003, 09:25 PM
old jong, it looked more like the Ginyu Force.

Shaolinlueb
12-05-2003, 10:13 PM
some of the chicks where hot. :D they can do the sum splits... oh wait .. :D

Brithlor
12-05-2003, 11:04 PM
I love that picture of that Tai chi guy doing the splits while punching that other guy in the groin... :)

GOT'EM
12-07-2003, 06:18 PM
I saw that website on the mantis forum about three months back.I e-mail Master Clark about a month ago.I just asked him about his mantis.He has yet to give me a reply.

old jong
12-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Somehow I think about Charlie's angels when I look at this site.;)

Thundermudd
12-07-2003, 07:15 PM
It is wushu - they said they do sparring but...
What was up with those animal names - that cracked me up. Even better they have the pic of the animal behind them. Reminds me of some kiddy cartoon charachters to me.
I think I will call myself the Flying Bat-Dragon-Goat style!

PHILBERT
12-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by GOT'EM
I saw that website on the mantis forum about three months back.I e-mail Master Clark about a month ago.I just asked him about his mantis.He has yet to give me a reply.

That happens sometimes. There is a "White Dragon" school in D/FW that I found online a few months ago when I found there book at Lang Son Traders and wanted to learn more about who they were (they seemed a little questionable to say the least).

I e-mailed a Sifu in Houston about the D/FW location and he forwarded it to that instructor who is in D/FW. The website didn't list a location, but it listed the people in Texas who taught it. I also e-mailed the D/FW instructor twice and never got a reply about the exact location of that school and this was in Feburary. The school claims it has origins in Dragon Kung Fu, Judo and Kempo. The book can be found here

Pai Lum Tao: Way of the White Dragon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0865681791/cm_aya_asin.title/102-1587193-7879365?v=glance&s=books)

When you look inside, there is a picture of the author holding a 440 stainless steel sword from Highlander.