PDA

View Full Version : Training outside in winter ?

Firebird
12-03-2003, 03:09 AM
Hi ,

does anyone also train in winter outside ?
I sometimes train outside in winter, even there is some snow.

scotty1
12-03-2003, 05:51 AM
Yeah some guys from my class do, even when its really p!ssing it down.

Just wrap up, and if you get wet have a shower and get dry afterwards.

Liokault
12-03-2003, 05:58 AM
Yeah but Scotty our winter is kind of lame next to most of the rest of the world!

SaMantis
12-03-2003, 09:30 AM
I trained outside a couple of times last winter, mostly because it was my first winter in snow country. Stance training is very different in a foot of snow.

Chang Style Novice
12-03-2003, 09:35 AM
What is this "winter" of which you speak?

(It's about 65 farenheit out today)

Abstract
12-03-2003, 09:39 AM
i don't like training INSIDE in the winter!:eek:

SaMantis
12-03-2003, 09:53 AM
What is this "winter" of which you speak?

Ah, winter is that wonderful time of year when you walk 2 miles to work on black ice because a freak 10-minute ice storm knocks every motorized vehicle off the road (including the bus).

Heh. More stance training, yay.

Chang Style Novice
12-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Maybe you should try training outside in the summer, when it's 110 out with 98% humidity...:eek:

Meat Shake
12-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Last time I did that I wound up hallucinating and cursing to the neighborhood children that I was Krodonk, the infallable sungod.

Chang Style Novice
12-03-2003, 10:46 AM
Man, you need to lay off on huffing that oven cleaner, young'un.

Meat Shake
12-03-2003, 10:48 AM
Oven cleaner?
That ****s for pusssies. We're all about meth and whippits over here dude. That or huffing gasoline and playing with matches.

Chang Style Novice
12-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Whippets are alright, but I prefer Airedales.:rolleyes:

Meat Shake
12-03-2003, 10:51 AM
Aren't airedales terriers?
Terriers tend to be too spastic. (unless its a boston terrier named homer smoking a doober) :D

Chang Style Novice
12-03-2003, 10:53 AM
Yeah, they are. Big terriers that can get to 90 or 100 lbs sometimes. So they aren't as crazed as some of their smaller kin. But they do get happy feet for sure when excited. You've got a boxer, right? Airedales have a pretty similar personality.

Uh, back to weather and how it affects outdoor training...

Meat Shake
12-03-2003, 10:55 AM
want a boxer. :)
Cant get one till I move back out in a few months, the moms doesnt want a pup to tear her garden to shreds. We baby sat my friends boxer pup for a week a couple years ago, and it took him about 2 hours to make the garden look like a nice basketfull of armageddon.

Tak
12-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Yes, even when I lived in the frozen north. I hear you re: the summer training, CSN.

Border collies rule!

Kristoffer
12-03-2003, 12:01 PM
collies sucks

icy winters are over rated

SevenStar
12-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Maybe you should try training outside in the summer, when it's 110 out with 98% humidity...:eek:

I second that.

FatherDog
12-03-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Meat Shake
want a boxer. :)

And you can check out Rocky IV for an example of a boxer doing roadwork outside in winter.

hah! Not only did I threadjack the thread to its original topic, I brought in boxing as well!

Chang Style Novice
12-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Yes, but that would mean watching "Rocky IV," which is even more masochistic than winter outdoor training.

Although push-hands on a frozen lake sounds like it could be fun...

CaptinPickAxe
12-03-2003, 01:32 PM
I'm looking forward to going to Colorado and throwing in snow. Its way better than mats, except the whole slipping thing. Last time we practiced on slippery mats I ended up with some bruised ribs and a sore neck. Man, I can't wait to throw Shake into 3 feet of snow.:D

Meat Shake
12-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Last time I saw snow, I was drunk out of my gord, lost my shoe and my keys, and kept slipping on the frozen ass hill.
CPA stood on the balcony and laughed.

CaptinPickAxe
12-03-2003, 01:52 PM
That was the night I busted that dudes face...

Kristoffer
12-03-2003, 02:47 PM
..I sense a good story evolving

Becca
12-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Firebird
Hi ,

does anyone also train in winter outside ?
I sometimes train outside in winter, even there is some snow.

Yes. There is something kinda magical about training at night, no lite except that being reflected off the snow and clouds, with a light snow falling and just the slightest breez... Too bad it doesn't actually snow much in Denver... :(

norther practitioner
12-03-2003, 04:13 PM
Yeah, not much here, but plenty within 30 min.:D

Becca
12-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Yeah, but then you gotto deal with the yuppies stairing at you and yelling at you for causing thier kids to think violent things.:rolleyes: I like going down to the Green Belt at like 10pm on a really cold night. You just can't beat the ambiance.

norther practitioner
12-03-2003, 04:38 PM
Where is the Green Belt?

Best line.. someone came up to a group working out in the park, this guy got a little lippy, then asked what we were doing, and a training partner fired back, practicing how to deal with tools like you.... not how I would have handled it, but kinda funny...:D

Becca
12-03-2003, 04:46 PM
?!?!? You've lived in Thornton without knowing about the Green Belt?:confused: It's that giant park-like strip that follows the canal all over North Adams County. I personally like to run along its very nice trail till I'm good and warm, then find a little meddow-like area and work my froms.

CaptinPickAxe
12-03-2003, 04:57 PM
my story of breaking that guys face is somewhere here on the forum...I guess do a search on "Kerrville", and if that yeilds no results pm.

norther practitioner
12-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Lived in Thornton, usually went riding instead of running, so headed toward where I live now (in the foothills). I know what you're speaking of now however.

CaptinPickAxe
12-03-2003, 05:24 PM
we were practicing @ Bradley Park and some dude was too scared to walk up and ask us to stop throwing each other so the **** sends his wife...what a qweef.

Nick
12-03-2003, 06:41 PM
^LOL^. Funny. What is it with people and interrupting sparring/martial arts, etc., anyway?

Later...

bung bo
12-05-2003, 05:44 PM
you called that guy a qweef! LOFL!

about the winter--i drink lots of very hot tea while i'm training. and soon as i'm done i throw all my clothes (there's about 3 layers) in the dryer and take a hot shower.

yu shan
12-05-2003, 09:00 PM
I miss Florida... I enjoy and thrive in humid heat

SaMantis
12-06-2003, 05:41 AM
Yeah, I miss it too, tho I don't plan on staying up here forever. I don't thrive in humid heat but the weather down there is much nicer to the joints. But hey, TN ain't so bad, I always thought springtime in Appalachia was very nice!

yu shan
12-06-2003, 09:22 AM
So true, springtime is awesome. Made a promise to myself to hit the trails again in the coming spring. Some students are avid hikers, thought we could set out to find Shangrila! :)

One of my classes (Saturday) is held at Dragon Park, mainly to get out in the fresh air. But this time of year, it`s week to week.

Are you Beantowners training out in the snow today? Get ready for round two, it`s on the way... Brrr.

One thing about the cold, it seems to bring out those old war wounds...

jun_erh
12-06-2003, 10:03 AM
Do you think any f you would modify your style if it was say 5 degrees out? r colder. that wuld be a cool fight scene. Jet Li being too cold to jump kick, or hugging his opponent for warmth

Nick
12-06-2003, 08:26 PM
LOMALMAOAAO!!! teh seen he sed was teh foonny!!!111!

Latre...

SaMantis
12-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Are you Beantowners training out in the snow today? Get ready for round two, it`s on the way... Brrr.

Nah, today I practiced Shovel-Fu. Trying to un-bury my truck, between the snow and the snowplows it's had a bad day. I think it's a lost cause, though. :(

Also trying to keep the fire-escape window on the top floor clear, every couple hours snow piles up against it. 48 hours of snow ... This is some wild s***.

moeman
12-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Hey;

Excellent question and one I've been thinking about myself. I've been running Sunday AM's about 5 or 6 miles. Here in Minneapolis it's less than 10 degrees F at night and mid-teens for highs (and it hasn't even started getting cold). I noticed last Sunday (around 20 degrees) when I finished my run, my back and leg muscles were quite cold and I had a real problem stretching afterwards. I'm considering doing some actual Kung fu forms outside, especially staff (see Shaolin Staff Thread) but I'm going to change a few things.

First, i plan to get fully warmed up and stretched out while still inside, then i'm going to throw on some long undies beneath my KF uniform (I figure heavy clothes would make movement too difficult, plus I want to keep the workout somewhat similar). I've been reading a few of the responses regarding working out directly in the snow, and I'm not sure that'll work for me. I'm going to start with dry clean (and frozen solid) concrete for good footing. I'm not willing to risk a strained tendon for the romance of working outdoors, and when you're cold you'll be more likely to injure yourself. Stay off the ice. Then, once I'm finished, I'll hop inside and continue my workout until all the muscles are good and warm again before stretching out and cooling down. And there's where my problem occurs, I don't have space inside to do much.

Oh, and my dog is a border collie mix. she has thick black fur with white paws, nose and tail so it looks just like a Northern Shaolin uniform (no I'm not getting her a sash for X-mas!), but without the opposable thumb, I see no real kung fu in her future.

SaMantis
12-09-2003, 09:56 AM
that's pretty much what I do in a winter workout, warm up, bai fut sow, and stretch indoors then do the rest of the workout outdoors. I don't wear long johns because I'm not straying too far from home, just the backyard, and I usually don't have time for more than 30-45 minutes practice a day (or night, it's dark when I go to work & dark when I get home). Plus it's just more laundry to lug down to the laundromat.

In deep snow I do stances & transitions, line drills, that's about it. Mostly straight-line work and slow transitions, sometimes a short form done at low speed, all with the focus on balance. Forms I do on the nice clean driveway as I don't like the idea of torqueing out a knee or spraining an ankle in packed snow.

Becca
12-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Forms I do on the nice clean driveway as I don't like the idea of torqueing out a knee or spraining an ankle in packed snow. Y're no fun...:D

I like the public parks. The "trail" is paved and plowed. And it rarely snows more than an inch or two in Denver, so seep snow is not much of a factor. But I do like to do forms in the stuff when we have it. I usually practice forms 1/2 speed on my own anyway.

There is this one pedestrian bridge by my apartment that crosses the ditch. It is wide enough for cars and so is also wide enough to practice weapons on.