PDA

View Full Version : What would be your first offensive technique in a street fight?

shawn28
07-07-2000, 01:41 AM
Mine would be a jab to the throat
followed by a thai kick to the knee,
finishing up with a elbow mash to
the side of the face..If I thought
I had to take the first move...

SM

Sithlord
07-07-2000, 01:48 AM
*shaking my head*

No one can easily predict what their first technique will be in a fight. Actually it's **** near impossible! What you think will happen in a fight will always be different than what WILL happen. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

------------------
"Darkness has come. May the darkside of the force be with you."

-Sithlord

wisdom mind
07-07-2000, 02:09 AM

[This message has been edited by wisdom mind (edited 07-07-2000).]

shawn28
07-07-2000, 05:56 AM
Sithlord,

Yes you are right but just wondering for technique reasons.. Im not saying I can
predict whats going to happen in a real
street fight just wanted to know what
your move might be or if you
ever thought about it..

SM

Qiman
07-07-2000, 08:13 AM
First Strike! A good ole right cross right
on the button.

I am not a first strike guy. The real
answer is whatever counter to the assault that comes by reflex without thought.

PeteB
07-07-2000, 09:39 AM
In a fight I would feint a move (i.e. jab)just to get the opponent thinking about my attack. Also, with this move I can see how the man reacts to the attack. From there you have to react to what happens. From the jab I like to kick to the knee or groin (From my experience, people throw their hands up when you throw a punch. Use that to your advantage).

[This message has been edited by PeteB (edited 07-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by PeteB (edited 07-08-2000).]

Wongsifu
07-07-2000, 12:22 PM
I would protect my face and use my legs to take out his knees.

Jaguar Wong
07-07-2000, 10:21 PM
I would resort to a good ol' [insert good ol' offensive technique here] whenever he/she leaves their [insert opportunity or target here] open. That way I'm sure that my first [attack/technique/strike] will have maximum effect. After that I would just follow up with a [insert finishing technique, or escape route] to ensure my survival.

------------------
Jaguar Wong
www.superaction.com (http://www.superaction.com)

DragonzRage
07-08-2000, 01:07 AM
My first offensive technique would be to hit him.

~Max

MoQ
07-08-2000, 03:16 AM
When the eyes change explode into the nearest target, attack the next opening, deal the final blow...run away. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

shadow6818
07-08-2000, 06:23 AM
The first move should be determaned dy what you feel and how your body reacts. If you think about what you are going to do then your opponent has already won .also keep a steady breathing pattern and stay completely clom this way your body can react to the situation.

------------------

shawn28
07-08-2000, 08:35 AM
Thanx I enjoy reading yalls
response....Its better than
arguing about stupid ****
that makes no sense..
Again thanx for yall response
I like to learn something
from this forum..

SM

illusionfist
07-08-2000, 02:13 PM
I like the nice thrust or cross kick to the knees, then i would prolly follow with a trap backfist or straight blast to the face.

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Weapon-Maker
07-09-2000, 11:37 AM
I have had success with palm-heel strikes to the chin,knee-lifts to the 'boyz',and if the guy has a soft stomach,some good ol' boxing style gut-punches.Feinting attacks to expose target areas for the real attack.Basic stuff mostly.A good defense(blocking etc...) will 'pave the way' for a strong offense.(I sound like a football coach,enough said now)

littlemonkey
07-11-2000, 03:48 PM
Groin Strike

-lm

Slater_E
07-12-2000, 12:31 PM
I always like misdirecting energy. I'd wait for a kick or punch and step aside and guide it ****her while I steped in. then when I'm close I'm work my majik on his torso or something.......
pull in for a nice knee to teh stomach and tehn elbow or fist to the back of the head while he's doubled over...I always try for that first.

------------------
"In a fight, there is no second place."

JerryLove
07-13-2000, 10:23 AM
Making many assumptions....

If the opponent has swung first, a stop-kick to the knee.

If I am initiating, whatever attack I can spring at a target of opportunity. Most likely a kick/knee to the groin or a punch/slap to the nose.

totallyfrozen
08-07-2000, 03:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Qiman:
First Strike! A good ole right cross right
on the button.

I am not a first strike guy. The real
answer is whatever counter to the assault that comes by reflex without thought. [/quote]

Not to sound brutal, but even though we train for self "defense", action is much faster than reaction. If you detect "the look" (the intense animal like look that I guy gets before he attacks), then you know he is going to attack...I would strongly recommend attacking first. Don't wait. You might not get a chance to (block, strike, move, whatever...) work your mojo.
If he gives you the look, ruin him...and do it quick! There are way too many fights that I WISH I had struck first. By not doing so, I sacrificed the element of surprise, postition, targets, etc.
I think that battle is 90% mind anyway...the look comes from his mindset. If you get the look, consider it an "act of war" and jump in first.
That's my opinion.

Tru-MA
08-07-2000, 08:19 PM
I'd use cheap shots of course! That gives me more time to run. You know, stuff like throat jabs, groin kicks, eye gouging, shin kicks, stomping kicks to the instep, headbutts, etc. Once the guy starts heaving I use more and more (but only enough to neutralize the guy with enough time for me to run, and since I'm a slow runner, I use more than a normal person would).

nospam
08-07-2000, 10:00 PM
Take their balance and slam them into something HARD and unfriendly like.

Scott
08-07-2000, 10:12 PM
Interesting note, something my Sifu told me..

"Waiting for your opponent to attack before you attack is like saying

'Okay, I'm going to wait for him to shoot me, then dodge out of the way and shoot him while he's trying to aim again'"

Mikail
08-08-2000, 07:34 AM
*Shrug of shoulders*

If you worry about what you are going to do, then you'll miss the first shot that ends the fight .... for you.
And you must choose when to wait to recieve - and when to explode into action against the opponent. Again, situations you can only react to as they happen, not plan for. But I will say that a flat-out attack will be the worst mistake you will ever make against a slightly skilled streetfighter who is waiting for you to do just that! Against a highly skilled fighter, your mistake grows exponentially.

Gojira
08-18-2000, 09:57 PM
More often than not, bust up the opponents nose, that can stop a fight real fast!

------------------
If you have nothing to do, don't do it here!

Hung Wai
08-18-2000, 11:52 PM
I'd attack the eyes first. Even if I don't connect I'll get a reaction so that I can follow up my attack. I'm not very big so I try to attack with combos and overwhelm my opponent.

origenx
08-19-2000, 12:22 AM
I've heard that, legally, you're not allowed to strike the face first, because that is considered 'deadly intent' or something. I think you're only allowed to strike it later on if the confrontation 'escalates.'

That's one thing I wish they would teach more in MA schools - LEGAL self-defense - what exactly the laws are and what all you can do (by law). Especially in these criminal-friendly lawsuit-happy times...

Qiman
08-19-2000, 03:25 AM
Legally speaking: It is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

JerryLove
08-19-2000, 04:19 AM
I doubt there is a law anywhere that says "striking the face is deadly intenet". Espically considering how common it is to slap, backhand, and as a target for people that watch boxing.

How a jury interpretes your actions is what is important. And what do you mean your school doesn't cover this?

premier
08-19-2000, 05:48 AM
I don't know about USA, but where I live, the law says that you must always use the mildest technique suitable for that situation. and basically you can in no occasion hit the guy first. but if the guy who attacks you, has somekind of weapon, you can pretty much use deadly force.

and it's a fact that you can't defend yourself in the court by saying "I was a reflex. that's what I'm trained to do", if you've ripped the attacker's eyes and troath out. be gentle if you get in a fight on the streets or you end up being prosecuted yourself.

JerryLove
08-19-2000, 09:15 AM
I'm more fond of the "I was really scared, I remember thinking he was gonna kill me. I don't know what happened next, the next thing I remember I was home."

Yanglao
08-20-2000, 01:49 AM
My first move if they punched at me and was real serious about it,i would pull a simple elbow break off of their punch. That would probably stop their attack immedietly.

Crouching Tiger
08-20-2000, 08:22 PM
first i'd start moveing away with light footwork, then give him a few quick jabs to see how he would react - then i'd blast in and front kick to the body, then see if he gets up. If he gets up, this time I would kick him back down again, but I would follow him down and punch him in the throat or groin! If he gets up again, I would run like hell.

Slater_E
08-22-2000, 04:35 AM
my first defensive move would be to step back and get my hands up saying I don't want any trouble. its get's my hands to where I can use them. and it's passive so he wont be expecting me to rip out his throat in a second...hehe
/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

------------------
"In a fight, there is no second place."

yungak
08-22-2000, 03:26 PM
Deleted

[This message has been edited by yungak (edited 08-25-2000).]

joehyer
09-02-2000, 08:30 PM
I find that I will never know the answer to this question.The last time Iwas in a "fight". Iwas approached by a drunk,insisting I give him a cigarette.I informed him that I had only one. He then grabbed for my pocket.I did not reflect on what was happening then,I simply acted, broke his grab and gently pushed. even though he was drunk,he visibly calmed apologized and we went our separate ways. just saying you never know or have time to think,it just happens.

------------------
Joehyer

GhostDog
09-13-2000, 05:26 AM
Firstly, too many of you guys are saying you'd wait for the guy to throw the first punch. Big mistake. Why would you do this ? If you believe that somebody is going to assault you, then you have the right to defend yourself. Also, it's much slower to react than to act, and by the time you think "He's punching", you'll have been hit and the fight will be over. I'd recommend that you get Geoff Thompson's video "Pavement Psychology". He and Peter Consterdine talk about this popular problem with many martial artists in waiting for the other guy to initate.

Secondly, a couple of you guys said that you throw a feint or a couple of jabs to see how he'd react. You guys have been watching too many Kung-fu movies. A feint only works on someone who knows what it is, and if he's drunk then he might not even see the feint. Why waste the energy in throwing a feint when you could just hit him ? Also, why would you want to wait for his reaction ? People who win fights are people who start throwing strikes and don't stop till the opponent is finished. If you throw a punch, then give him time to recover and see how he reacts then you've lost your advantage.

The best wait to initiate the attack is to strike with a quick blow first. Something that is fast and not telegraphed. It doesn't have to be powerful, just hard enough to make your opponent blink, or lose balance so you can follow up with harder strikes. Examples are a quick forehead slap (makes him blink and pushes his head backwards), a quick strike to the throat. Even a quick shove to make your opponent think about regaining his balance while you quickly follow up with a right cross.

jimmy23
09-13-2000, 05:46 AM
Also, note that in many states you can be guilty of assault without ever attacking someone.In a criminal case, a secrurity gaurd was guilty of assault when he confronted two hotel guests wielding a nightstick,took an agressive stance and became very confrontational.on one of the reality tv shows(great sources for seeing what REALLY happens)a guy confronted a pimp who was smacking his ho around( I love the cool lingo here /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ),then walked away.The pimp followed him,cursing and taking an agressive stance,then the guy turned and knifehanded the pimp across the neck,dropping him.This was perfectly justified,as the guy wlaked awy and the pimp showed what any reasonble person(whatever that is) would construe as intent to assault.
any lawmen or attorneys here that could shed some light on this?

yamato_damashii
09-16-2000, 01:19 PM
My first technique would be to remove the safety and look for a clear front sight tip.

Jason C. Diederich
Pax Nobiscum

shimera
09-26-2000, 01:35 AM
my advise for you, in fighting whether it be street or sparring, DON'T EVER GO INTO IT WITH A PLAN, 9 times out of 10 it will fail hands down. because your opponent rarely ever does what you want them too.

magicfist
02-10-2001, 08:15 AM
attack hard and fast with everything you've got!

sblano
02-11-2001, 05:34 AM
I find this question simple to answer. Meaning if you have to think about what technique you have to execute you have already lost.Therefore don`t think do . But remember keep it simple no fancy stuff stay shorp . ;)

8stepsifu
02-11-2001, 06:40 AM
sun punch

King of the Assyrians

Seeker of the Way
02-18-2001, 08:04 PM
I don't know if you're asking that one takes legal issues into consideration here. However, here in Scandinavia, Kung Fu is actually illegal when it's not a last-ditch measure.

By LDM, I mean that you may never throw the first technique - So I believe that I'd wait for the first punch/kick, sidestep(that being the most common counter in the martial arts I study), and grab the offending limb for either a submission (a so-called 'arm/leg-bar'), or a knockdown technique while she/he's out of balance.

Peace,
SotW.

"I know Kung Fu."

Vankuen
02-19-2001, 07:57 PM
I agree with many of you on these posts. Many factors come into play here, depending on where you're from and the laws and customs there, to what your training was in, to what the situation is.

All things being equal, I believe that the fist hit should be a powerful one, if its not, the first attack should be an overwhelming one.

In real life things wont happen the way you want them to. I find, and tell my students that once the time comes to fight, there should no longer be any thinking, but rather, a "no mind" attitude set in. The reactions and actions will come from (hopefully) good training. All you can do is hope that you trained well enough to be able to handle the situation with success.

Remember that logistics plays a role here as well...after youve attacked, take a moment to assess your standings. Continuing when the attack is making no progress is just as useless as not attacking at all, and in some cases, can allow him to counter you. And always, leave the situation as soon as its done and over with. As not being there is the best way to survive. (unless of course youre now being detained by the local authorities. But lets hope not) :)

In any case before this gets too long, train hard, so that when the time comes to fight, you wont have to think about what youre going to do, you'll just do it.