PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the Raleigh WC school?

Pan Tian
12-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Hey all,

I'm a long time martial artitst that just moved to Raleigh, and I'm looking for a Kung Fu school here. It looks (to me) like the local WC school has the clearest lineage and purest (to it's tradition) style around for local Kung Fu schools. I have not been to watch a class yet since I'm recovering from an injury (not MA related :p )and don't want to "tempt" myself too much and get started again too early! :)

Can anyone tell me if they are still in contact with, or affiliated with, Sifu Duncan Leung? Are their classes and the spirit in which they're conducted similiar? I am led to believe this school is one of Brian Edwards', who trained with Sifu Leung, and the Sifu here trained under Sifu Edwards in Fayetteville.

Any other comments about the school would be appreciated - both positive and negative. Please remember to keep your comments respectfull.

Either way, I'll still go watch a class eventually, and give them a chance to represent themselves accordingly.... but it doesn't hurt to go in with your eyes open right?

Thanks,
Pan

teazer
12-05-2003, 12:59 PM
Slim pickings around Raleigh. Haven't met anyone I'd recommend, The Raleigh school lineage sounds correct from what I've heard.

LilRomeo
12-05-2003, 03:27 PM
if u can handle a sifu who is a jerk 98%of the time this school may be for u. they train pretty hard and have good hours. the only other thing is too much contradiction in the way things are taught so ur like what is right and what is wrong when so many give different opinions since the instructor is too busy bein an @ss to senior students. its like when ur new he's cool to ya but once u get to be a regular thats when the belittling begins woopie. so dont take anyone there seriously--many a night have i been cursin his name during training as do others. so when u goto to ur free workout just be ready for his mike tyson scenarios haha-yup prepare on discussing what works and doesnt versus a heavy weight champ. **** he does that all the time to visitors-its too funny. so have fun dude.

sonnychiba
12-05-2003, 03:35 PM
I wouldnt recommend wing chun of raleigh. The sifu is ex military and treats all the students like they are in his platoon ( i think he was a section 8). like lil romeo said he will give you vs. mike tyson scenarios. wtf? Cant he come up with a new fighter? anyway if you like being ridiculed go for it. no one pays to be belittled or dissed. go try your free lesson and ask him how wing chun would go against ju jitsu.

Pan Tian
12-06-2003, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far .... I'm ex military myself, so I may be able to roll with some of his stuff. BUT I'm a little over 30 with kids, and want something that I can take seriously or not.... hey man, the MA are work, but they should be fun right? ;) I also do want to know how WC stacks up against other forms - especially his perspective on how it stacks up against 7*! Again, thanks for the feedback so far! Anyone else have something *good* to say?

Thx
Pan

teazer
12-08-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Pan Tian
Anyone else have something *good* to say?

<sound of crickets chirping>