PDA

View Full Version : Good Kicker

YongChun
12-04-2003, 05:00 PM
If you want to see a good kicker to visualize using Wing Chun against, then Hwang Jang Lee is pretty good. Maybe the standards are surpassed today, I don't know. My first instructional video by him cost me $120 in the early 1980's. Now you can get the same thing in DVD for about $11.00.
I think with all the combos there are about 240 types of kicks.
See:
www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/person.hwang+jang/qx/titles.htm
The Art Of High-Impact Kicking (1981)
Hwang Jang Lee, Mak Kun Hong, Lee Fat Yuen (Lee Fat Yuan), Chi Chi, Chen Liang (Chan Leung), Chu Pi, John McPhail...
Seventh-degree black belt, former chief hand-to-hand combat instructor in the Korean Army's "Tiger Division", and film star Hwang Jang Lee demonstrates here every aspect of almost every kicking technique in existence.

Hwang Jang-lee
AKA: "Silver Fox," Wong Cheng Li, Wong Jing Lei, Wong Ching Lee, Huang Zheng Li, Huang Jiang Li

Profession: actor, action director, director, producer

Born: December 21, 1944 (Osaka, Japan - Korean)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although Hwang Jang Lee is Korean by birth, he was actually born in the outskirts of Osaka, Japan. Hwang studied Taekwondo and boxing from an early age against his parents will and during the 70's acted as martial arts trainer to Korean troops stationed in Vietnam.

During his tour of duty as a martial arts instructor in Vietnam he was challenged by a south Vietnamese knife expert. The challenge was over 30 seconds later. His opponent lay dead, killed by a well executed round kick to the head by Hwang.

In 1976 he was approached in Korea by producer and director Ng See Yuen to play the villainous Silver Fox in Secret Rivals (1976) along with Wang Tao and John Liu. This film became a classic. It was the first "kickmaster" movie, meaning that instead of virtually all punching it was all kicking instead. The film was a surprise hit. The final fight was amazing, with all three leads giving their all. Hwang instantly became hot property. The combination among Hwang Jang Lee, John Liu and Wang Tao led to a sequel, The Secret Rivals 2 (1977) and the stunning Snuff Bottle Connection, kung fu classics all made at Seasonal Films.

Hwang relocated to Taiwan and in 1978 he appeared in the ground-breaking movies Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master, directed by legendary choreographer Yuen Wo Ping and also starring Jackie Chan and Simon Yuen (Yuen Siu Tien). The film rejuvenated and electrified Hong Kong cinema's somewhat stagnant kung fu genre and proved a huge box-office success with Drunken Master taking in over 8 million dollars (HK), which was a lot of money at that time for a kung fu movie. It smashed all box office records, even the ones set by Bruce Lee.

Numerous lead performances as thugs and heavies followed, most notably in Dance of the Drunken Mantis (1979), the real follow-up to the first Drunken Master movie with Yuen Shun Yi taking Jackie Chan's place in the movie with all other cast members remaining on the set. Here, Hwang Jang Lee stars as the southern mantis drunkard "Rubber Legs" who is out on a mission to destroy the Northern drunken boxing master, Sam the Seed (Simon Yuen). This movie is incredibly good.

Although retired from filmmaking, Hwang will be remembered as arguably the best leg fighter in martial arts film history and easily one of it's most popular stars.

Source: Alexander Öberg

foolinthedeck
12-07-2003, 10:51 AM
whats your point?

Phil Redmond
12-07-2003, 11:12 AM
He was also the safest kicker to to do fight scenes with because of his amazing control. I have a copy of "The Art of High Impact Kicking". I'm presuming your point is that we should be aware of what other martial artists are capable of so we will train harder as we should do anyway.

russellsherry
12-11-2003, 04:21 PM
hi phil mr jee is one of my fraviorite bad guys , his kick are unreal , but remember , tan taou leung from the hot the cool and the visous i think he teaches tae kwon do in La somewhere -eace russellsherry

foolinthedeck
12-15-2003, 11:08 AM
i think osterichs are pretty good at kicking.
whats my point?

YongChun
12-15-2003, 12:52 PM
The point for us is that we practice against kicking but when some people here faced a real kicker then they had a lot of trouble. The students had really no idea what kinds of kicks would come at you from someone who specializes in kicking. Our most talented guy could handle anyone's kicks in class but when he went up against the local champion in TaeKwonDo (that was in the late 1980's) he couldn't make anything work. Then he really studied the kicks from Hwan Yang Lee and constanly tried sparring against reall TaeKwonDo people. He said after he did that he could penetrate the kicking attacks and defences and then apply his Wing Chun. So the point is if you want to fight against another art no matter what art, boxing, Capoera, Gracie Jujitsu then it is best to study at a minimum the tapes of their good people and at best go and learn some of their stuff and practice against the real thing and not your own studio version of the other arts. I can pretend I am a Preying mantis Boxer but for sure wouldn't move like the real thing. The other thing for me is that I just admire good martial artists no matter what art they do. Every good fighter can be an inspiration even if they do another art.

anerlich
12-15-2003, 02:38 PM
Every good fighter can be an inspiration even if they do another art.

Amen to that.

reneritchie
12-15-2003, 02:48 PM
My sifu says if anyone tries that $#!t on us, we can just use our super secret deadly techniques to fry their b@ll$ off.

John Weiland
12-15-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by reneritchie
My sifu says if anyone tries that $#!t on us, we can just use our super secret deadly techniques to fry their b@ll$ off.
We do that too. :p