PDA

View Full Version : body mechanics and physiology - is there a "right" way?

Mr. Nemo
10-14-2001, 06:34 PM
Almost all martial arts, particularly the internal martial arts, are concerned to some degree or another with the most efficient way to move and manage the human body, and how to train it so that it's as effective as possible. Modern sports science also addresses these issues.

I've read a good deal about the principles and training methods seen in different martial arts styles, and am somewhat knowledgable about certain areas of sports science, and I see a good deal of similarities. It would please my aesthetic sense of reason if I learned that the ancient chinese and modern martial-arts oriented science independently arrived at the same conclusions.

But there are also lots of disagreements between the two, and disagreements on the best way to do something between different coaches, martial artists, doctors, and so on. I remember reading a short article in ring magazine asking ten different boxing coaches how a proper jab should be thrown, and they all had very different answers.

I know I'm not being entirely clear in the point I'm trying to make (something I'm very often guilty of) but here's the basic question: Is there a single, most efficient way to move the body to deliver force?

The way I see it, here are some choices:

(A) There is a single, most efficient, best way to move the body to deliver force.

(B) There are several different ways to move the body, they each generate a different kind of force, and should be trained according to the kind of force your fighting tactics call for.

(C) Each body is different and has a different way of moving most efficiently.

(D) Each body is different and has a different way of moving most efficiently, but there are certain principles that apply to all body types.

There are more choices, and permutations of the ones above. My personal opinion is a combination of (B) and (D).

Watchman
10-14-2001, 06:38 PM
I agree: (B) and (D).

Kung Lek
10-14-2001, 06:59 PM
me too, B and D.

The bone structure and muscle groups are the same from one human to the next.

The level of understanding is different from one person to the next.

The level of ability is different from one person to teh next.

styles and systems place different emphasis on a variety of techniques used in striking, evading, absorbing etc.

But body mechanics can correctly be seen as correct or incorrect in the individual.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

jimmy23
10-14-2001, 07:38 PM
my way is correct, debate closed

"You guys have obviously never done any real fighting if you are mocking spitting"
Spinning Backfist

diego
10-14-2001, 07:45 PM
you changed your way from my way wich is the natural wich make syour way
IM CONFUSED

"I finish the job with a tiger claw into the throat. Remember guys'INSERT CORNY WHITEBOY VOICE' use extreme violence against your opponents always, that will discourage them from hurting other people" kungfu site technique sec.VS?."...

SLC
10-15-2001, 02:47 PM
I don't think you could say that any of those four are actually incorrect.

I also think that (A) is absolutely true, given an individual and a circumstance, but not necessarily true for in a universal sense, for all people and all circumstances. :)

toddbringewatt
10-15-2001, 03:03 PM
b and d. Well put!

"Bruce Leroy. That's who!"

honorisc
10-15-2001, 05:52 PM
"(A) There is a single, most efficient, best way to move the body to deliver force."

It is defined by the situation and the force for which one is trying.

"(B) There are several different ways to move the body, they each generate a different kind of force, and should be trained according to the kind of force your fighting tactics call for."

Several different ways to move can be generated by a different kind of force~. The movements aren't trained, only the force that makes the movement. You should only train in the movements for which your fighting tactics call. Yet training in other ways of moving you can become even better at your fighting tactics with better developed secondary, and other support muscles. But your fighting tactics should include all yone needs to be the best one can be at that.

"(C) Each body is different and has a different way of moving most efficiently."

No, the distances vary -because of lengths. The angles are virtually the same, only variation is for strength and weight. If A) is true then everyone has the same ways to move efficiently (except for the variations I mention~).

"(D) Each body is different and has a different way of moving most efficiently, but there are certain principles that apply to all body types."

Basically, yes.

"There are more choices, and permutations of the ones above. My personal opinion is a combination of (B) and (D)."

Yet if the bodies have different ways to move and there are different forces, there must be a uniform way to move so that all bodies could generate the same forces.~

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Chang Style Novice
10-15-2001, 06:09 PM
> (C) Each body is different and has a different way of moving most efficiently.

> (D) Each body is different and has a different way of moving most efficiently, but there are certain principles that apply to all body types.

These are both definitely true, and I say that not only as a martial artist but as a visual artist who spends a lot of time looking at nude models of different shapes, sizes, and physical condition. No-know is mistaken in that distances do not vary only in terms of lengths, but in terms of what angles those lengths are able to achieve. As an intellectual exercize to demonstrate this, let me ask 'how can you change the shape of a triangle without changing the length of it's sides?' The answer is; you can't. By extension, we can see that a person with long thighs and short calves will neccesarily move differently than a person with short thighs and long calves. It's true that there isn't a whole helluva lot of difference between one and the other (except in extreme cases) but the differences are there, and have a real and percievable effect on motion.

Good topic, Captain! Thanks, and watch out for that giant squid.