PDA

View Full Version : My stance is too firm, I will never be taken down

Chang Style Novice
12-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Well, anyway we worked on leg seizing last night and I had a better chance at staying up than my classmates. In part, I'm sure it's because I'm a big, heavy guy (I outweighed Denzel, the next biggest in the room by about 20 lbs.) But I'm also the tallest, so my high center of gravity should be working against me. I do like horse stance and hindu squats and I walk all over the place (no car) so my legs are in pretty fine fettle. But even with a leg caught I could usually remain standing. I'm pretty pleased about the whole thing, and want to find a wrestler with a good single or double and see how I fare.

Kristoffer
12-06-2003, 04:00 PM
that's super

Chang Style Novice
12-06-2003, 04:04 PM
You lookin' for an eye gouge, punk?;)

chingei
12-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
want to find a wrestler with a good single or double and see how I fare.

Do so right away! You could develop some bad habits sparring with folks who suck at takedowns.

cerebus
12-06-2003, 04:16 PM
Heh, heh. That's when groin strikes, etc. come in handy. Soften 'em up & get their mind off their rooted stance...THEN throw. :D :D

truewrestler
12-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Chang Style Novice's post = "flame me" :)

SevenStar
12-06-2003, 07:37 PM
CSN may be the first who can actually fend off a shot just by rooting!!!

Water Dragon
12-06-2003, 07:43 PM
CSN's technique is too deadly to spar with wrestlers.

pazman
12-06-2003, 07:53 PM
well, being able to root is a start, and it might give decent wrestlers a puzzled look on their face at first. but the fact remains that you are gonna have to integrate footwork and sprawling to really stand a chance in the long run (okay, more like more than five seconds. push hands is a fun way to get into this, but yes, going against actual wrestlers is the best.

truewrestler
12-06-2003, 08:09 PM
well, being able to root is a start, and it might give decent wrestlers a puzzled look on their face at first yeah, stance is part of takedown defense... one of many things

rubthebuddha
12-07-2003, 01:58 AM
just hit them in the head. everyone knows grapplers don't train for that and they're totally susceptible to strikes while shooting in.

Chang Style Novice
12-07-2003, 06:40 AM
Who said anything about just by rooting? I admit I'm not training with folks who know their shot well, but I'm doing plenty of moving around and even my rasslin' ignorant version of sprawling also.

Plus of course pressure point attacks and one punch knock outs.

Thundermudd
12-07-2003, 07:22 AM
nice one cerebus - thats what I was thinking

Kristoffer
12-07-2003, 08:22 AM
Seriously, every traditional art practioner will benefit by training with good grapplers. So good luck.

Chang Style Novice
12-07-2003, 09:28 AM
Well, with taiji influenced by shuai chiao, stand up grappling is about all I do. It's the floor-hugging someb@tches that I worry most about.

apoweyn
12-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Well, with taiji influenced by shuai chiao, stand up grappling is about all I do. It's the floor-hugging someb@tches that I worry most about.

Sounds like you've got a good plan to me.

chingei
12-07-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by apoweyn

Sounds like you've got a good plan to me.

Worrying is a good plan?

apoweyn
12-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by chingei

Worrying is a good plan?

Good one.

Wanker.

chingei
12-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Oh, those cute british expressions!

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/aktion/action-smiley-052.gif

Chang Style Novice
12-08-2003, 08:33 AM
Hmmm...UT doesn't have a wrestling program. Any other ideas about where I could go? There's William Vandry's place, and (Frank Benn's which is a LOT easier for me to get to), but I think both of those guys have jujutsu rather than wrestling backgrounds.

truewrestler
12-08-2003, 09:36 AM
http://www.txusawrestling.com/

Look under youth on the left and then clubs on the right and see if there are any in your area. I'm sure there are many clubs in your area that will accept beginning adults... like at highschools and colleges.

Chang Style Novice
12-08-2003, 09:51 AM
I'd feel a little wierd going to highschools, but thanks.

truewrestler
12-08-2003, 09:55 AM
how old are you? There are many with clubs open to the public... or there are probably clubs for adults in your area.

...just a thought... and/or maybe you should check out Vandry's... I've heard great things

David Jamieson
12-08-2003, 10:04 AM
so go to a bjj, jj,mma, etc etc class and try their free introduction.

Don't forget to tell them that you can resist a shoot, it will make them try harder and you'll get an idea of:

a) how good they shoot
b) how crappy your classmates shoot

and

c) how much your fooling yourself thinking that you are immovable

lol

cheers

p.s, I'll bet you can find a ground school inside of 5 minutes in your phone book. And btw, my kungfu is KING!!!! King I tell ya :D

Chang Style Novice
12-08-2003, 12:00 PM
I'm 34, which is why grappling with HS kids seems weird to me - college kids, less so.

And I think it's especially amusing that Kung Lek seems to think I meant the title of this thread seriously. Did you even actually read the posts I've made? I've already mentioned two groundfighting schools I know of in town, if you were reading carefully (William Vandry's and Frank Benn's.) And hell yeah, I'll definitely mention I'm interested in seeing how what I've learned works against a double or single leg shoot. I won't tell them I can resist it because

#1 I don't know if I can.

#2 why lie?

#3 if they do manage to take me down, I'll simply temporarly paralyze them by lightly tapping a secret dim ma point between the corner of the eye and the top of the ear. I could tell you exactly where it is, but that would betray the confidence of my closed door teacher whom I met when I witnessed him defeat four armed muggers with only a trash can lid.:rolleyes:

chingei
12-08-2003, 12:51 PM
I'm 34, which is why grappling with HS kids seems weird to me -

Michael Jackson just got arrested for that sort of thing!

truewrestler
12-08-2003, 12:54 PM
I won't tell them I can resist it because... Defending works much better than resisting, which sounds very static. Takedown defense is not static and thus is better than resisting

Serpent
12-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Walk into a crowded bar on a Friday night, get up on the bar and yell, "Who here knows how to wrestle or grapple?"

When someone puts up a hand (it'll be a big idiot, for sure) then say, "Come on over here and see if you can put me on my arse, b!tch!"

That'll soon have you testing your skills.

Or you could go to one of those schools you mentioned.

David Jamieson
12-08-2003, 08:15 PM
oh man, i just temporarily paralyzed myself when i was rubbing my head! arrrrgh, it is hard to type with your nose. :D

Chang Style Novice
12-08-2003, 08:34 PM
You gotta be real careful when removing your glasses, KL - thousands of unexplained fatalities every year are attributible to accidental self inflicted dim ma.

Serpent - I want to learn to defend the shoot, not get a date.

David Jamieson
12-08-2003, 08:37 PM
I have glasses?

Meat Shake
12-08-2003, 09:11 PM
I have gas.

Chang Style Novice
12-08-2003, 09:13 PM
It'll take more than a Cleveland Steamer to knock me down, Shake, m'boy!

GGL
12-08-2003, 10:06 PM
Now Chang.. you know your in Austin and have John Wang and Dave Pickens.. to further develop your idea of root and stances :D

One guy came to class and said.." He never lost a fight"..come to find out.. He's never been in one...

No matter how good you are.. you will always get hit or be thrown.. just a result of being human I guess

Chang Style Novice
12-08-2003, 10:27 PM
I thought Dave was furher off - like San Marcos or something.

I still don't have a dangol car. You still in the ATX?

kungfu cowboy
12-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Groundfighting was developed as a junior training pants until the root becomes strong enough and is then discarded with deserved disdain. Those in the know just ignore it altogether.

truewrestler
12-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Fetal fighting is awesome

rubthebuddha
12-08-2003, 11:31 PM
is that what they call curling up in a little ball on the ground and whining until someone gives up?

or is that just another episode of friends? :mad:

truewrestler
12-09-2003, 06:45 AM
http://www.ettishfetalfighting.8m.com/

GGL
12-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Still in the Good old land of Austin.. Round Rock to be exact.. let me know if you want to come to workout sometime.

Chang Style Novice
12-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Sounds good - that one time we never actually got to the flinging each other around, and that's the best part!

where do you throw down?