PDA

View Full Version : tatto's?

jeetkunerob
12-06-2003, 07:52 PM
I heard that tatto's hinder your qigong devolpment...is that true because I am thinking about getting one but do not want to risk that chance. Thanks for your time....

woliveri
12-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Only if you get one on your weenie. :D :D

Otherwise, no. I don't see how it would.

TaiChiBob
12-07-2003, 09:18 AM
Greetings..

Tattoos seem silly to me, but.. i dont sense that they hinder Qigong.. i don't understand the purpose of a tattoo, but that's just me..

Be well....

QuaiJohnCain
12-08-2003, 01:10 PM
UUUUGH! Whoever told you that was trying to feed you out of the same bucket of s**t that they're eating from. Kick 'em in the groin fer sayin that.

dwid
12-08-2003, 01:23 PM
Wow, if that were true, I'd be completely screwed.

:D

It seems like a pretty unsupportable statement, but then you find lots of those in the cults of personality that often grow around qi gong instructors.

All a tattoo does, in essence, is stain some of the deeper layers of skin. I don't see how this could have any effect on qi, anymore than maybe getting a suntan would.

backbreaker
12-08-2003, 02:53 PM
Yeah, tattoo's or maybe peircings might affect qi but I doubt that it's really important. Worrying about things like that is probably mostly paranoia by people who are obsessed with qi sensations

jeetkunerob
12-08-2003, 04:14 PM
thanks for the reply guys I really appreciate that...and about kicking the person in the groin for telling me that...i was one step ahead of you...hahahah

jun_erh
12-10-2003, 08:21 PM
I don't have any tattoos, but I always thought those scary born again pamphlets would make for cool tattoos. www.chick.com has them all. Even the one with the band "We're gonna rock rock rock with the rock!"

dwid
12-11-2003, 09:49 AM
TaiChiBob:

i don't understand the purpose of a tattoo, but that's just me..

I'd been thinking a bit about this statement, and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. First, the purpose of a tattoo varies. For some, there is a ritual element to it that is simply a variation of what tribal cultures have been doing for centuries. For others, it's simply decorative/art, which again has a history that goes back centuries in some cultures. So, the question is, what is the purpose of a painting? What is the purpose of a piece of jewelry? What is the purpose of a rite of passage?

TaiChiBob
12-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Greetings..

I suppose my reference for that statement is the number of times i have heard people lament their poor choices sometime after they acquired a tattoo.. One high school friend removed a tattoo with a belt sander (i didn't say he was bright).. but, people often make impulse decisions, or decisions based on immediate circumstances and neglect to consider how their "work of Art" will deteriorate over time.. Other may have a message they feel is important today, that may be not so important later.. or even a message that turns out to be a hindrance later in life.. One of the certainties in life is "change", and the motive for a tattoo acquired in someone's 20's may change later... Tattoos are relatively permanent and painfully expensive to remove.. in fact, they are a pain to have put on as well.. many, if not most, of the tattoo afficionados i know tell me of the courage it takes to get one, they compare tattoos in a sort of scaled down competition...

As a cultural tradition i can appreciate the significance, but question the motives in light of current fads and such.. as a decorative art, i appreciate art and i appreciate the human form, but i find it difficult to appreciate art on the human (it keeps moving :) ).. actually, it makes it difficult to appreciate the human form if you are distracted by tattoos.. Personally, i opt for the natural appearance, if i have a message i say it.. if i want art i observe it (not wear it on my flesh).. as a rite of passage, each day i survive is "rite" enough for me.. the only jewelry i wear is a watch.. Not to mention that a tattoo is just another way to identify yourself to "Big Brother".. so, i keep it simple, keep it clean.. know me by the life i live, not the message inked on my skin..

Aside from that, i do respect the rights of others to adorn themselves as they please.. in fact i would defend that right in-so-much as the message is not offensive or prejudiced.. i can still recall trying to explain a particularly offensive graphic skin-art to my 6 year-old son.. Like so many rights, people are often oblivious to the associated responsibilities..

Be well..

dwid
12-11-2003, 12:45 PM
I appreciate your comments.

It's true that many people make some really bad decisions about skin art. I know a lot of guys who got "straight-edge" tattoos in high school, and those tattoos are pretty much a joke now.

For me, it's just an aesthetic I appreciate. I realize it's not for many people, but when it's done well, it's beautiful to me. Also, I think the tattoos people tend to regret most are those they didn't put a lot of thought into to begin with. Oftentimes, these are "flash" tattoos that come off a stencil that is used over and over. Really well drawn and executed custom work, on the other hand, usually involves a lot of thought before hand, and tends to age better as a result.

Kaitain(UK)
12-12-2003, 05:16 AM
I have a couple of tattoos on my back - one covers about a quarter of it and goes over my shoulder onto my chest. To me there are a variety of reasons behind it - it represents a traumatic period of my life and how I came through it. It's a bit difficult to explain - the 15 hours (so far) of pain that I went through (not all at once) were like a ritualistic purging of all the bad things I was dealing with. I look back on it and draw strength from it - I guess it's a badge that only I understand.

Then there's the aesthetic - I adore traditional oriental tattoos and always wanted one. I like how it looks on my skin - but I have my tattoos in clothed areas so unless I'm sunbathing noone ever sees them. For me it's a very personal thing.

The other tattoo is representative of a change in my life after my wife and I were attacked - it represents the change of mentality I needed to make to better defend myself and my family. Again it's another badge - a dragon (traditional chinese) wrapped around a Yin Yang. Whenever I waver in my training or commitment I look at it and it's an instant reminder of that moment. I experience the emotions again and it bolsters me.

Both of mine are custom work, and each took about 6 months from my initial idea to getting it done. The larger piece is still being coloured - costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time :)

So for me my tattoos are like a map of major events in my life. Something to talk to women about in bed too :) I'm so shallow at times...

Vash
12-13-2003, 10:11 PM
I'm going to get a tattoo of some beautifully brushed Okinawan calligraphy which reads "Toudi". Don't know where I'm gonna put it, though.

CaptinPickAxe
12-22-2003, 11:23 PM
I got a tattoo and now my qi circulation all fuct...I can't even pee straight anymore!:mad: :D