PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Lee - internal power?

Falcor
12-07-2003, 11:03 AM
OK, this might get me in trouble, but do any of you think that Bruce Lee may have developed any kind of internal power? My friend has me almost convinced that although he may not have learned the more subtle internal energy dynamics as in teh Hsng_i or Taichi, but his sound principles of body development were well on their way to developing good jing and if you see his video clips, he shows that. I'm not completely convinced, so I ask this question.

Kristoffer
12-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Define internal power

Ikken Hisatsu
12-07-2003, 12:28 PM
because im sure that 30 years later, the answer can be found on an internet message board where most peoples knowledge of Bruce Lee doesnt go past enter the dragon.

ANYWAY- internal power is mere physics. you could say that boxers have internal power because their art revolves solely around that perfect punching technique. of course you have parlour tricks like one inch punches but again, thats just physics. any old schmo, if they knew exactly how to do it, could.

so yeah, considering the time he spent training, probably. Im sure no one here actually knows.

Youngmantis
12-07-2003, 02:04 PM
i dont think bruce had any internal power considering all he focused on was muscle strength

apoweyn
12-08-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Youngmantis
i dont think bruce had any internal power considering all he focused on was muscle strength

All muscle strength? No body mechanics? No technique? No timing? Just muscles?

You sure about that?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-09-2003, 02:06 AM
im drunk, but i think that internal power is just convincing yourself that you can feel the energy involved in delivering perfect technique. and i think it works. and i think bruce had a little bit of that sure.

Kristoffer
12-09-2003, 03:03 AM
listen to the drunk man

Souljah
12-09-2003, 06:05 AM
I thought bruce lee had more of a Fajing thing going on?

apoweyn
12-09-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Souljah
I thought bruce lee had more of a Fajing thing going on?

Well, we could play the definition game on our deathbeds. But I think most of us could agree that he had more than 'just muscular strength.'

SanSoo Student
12-09-2003, 08:12 AM
He focused on meditation and aspects of Buddhism/Toaism into JKD I believe him say this in one of his books. And those are aspects of developing internal power.

Repulsive Monkey
12-09-2003, 08:39 AM
Bruce didn't have internal power in the way that Cheng Man-ching, Yang Cheng-fu, Chen Fa-ke or the way that Chen Xiao Wang etc does. In relation to Taiji, Hsing Yi or Bagua what he was practising was not an internal art, I think looing at his fighting in front of the camera, it's clearly obvious that he was an external martial artist.

Reading some of his stuff (and my knowledge of the length and breadth of his literature is limited!) it doesnt look like he had a good grasp of Taoism at all. It all seems like really basic level parrot talk really just repeating stuff he had read but without the practical experience to back it up. He was no practicing Taoist at all, but then I suspect he never claimed to be. I remember watching an old interview that he did in France, I believe, where when he starts talking about Tai Chi he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about and said it was an exercise and not really a martial art.