PDA

View Full Version : waxwood poles

Buddy
12-07-2003, 07:05 PM
I don't usually disagree with Count but...
I have a 10 foot waxwood pole and its great. Hardwood IMO doesn't have the "shaky" quality that is needed for these exercises. My waxwood (I hesitate to say my pole) is fairly heavy. Most can't hold it at one arms length. I got mine from Chen Zhenglei. I like the Chen exercises but I also had the chance to see my teacher do a couple of our methods Xingyi pole exercises.
Buddy

Buddy
12-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Sorry,
I meant this as a reply to the long pole training thread.
Buddy

count
12-08-2003, 06:43 AM
Even the best brothers have knockdown, drag out, brawls over one foot of space.:D My first long pole was only 10 feet too. Longer can be hard to find. The wax wood poles are, afterall, a whole tree. and take more than six years to grow. When I scored an eleven footer I just put a spearhead on my old pole and used it for that. Too much weight can be dangerous at first anyway.

Hardwood may not have the same shakable quality but tend to be more balanced and are great for developing power.

If I could spend only one or two days with your teacher, (I'm assuming Luo here) I would love to see the Hsing-I pole training even more than his bagua. You know how I feel about my bagua too. ;)