PDA

View Full Version : Leung Jan stories!

Jim Roselando
12-08-2003, 02:48 PM
Hello!

Over the last year or so I have posted a fair number of stories or statements from Leung Jan sifu. I was curious if any other LJ lineage would be willing to share some stories about Leung Jan sifu? I would love to hear more stuff and think it would be cool for all to read what others preserve!

Respect to Leung Jan sifu!

I look forward to hearing some interesting stuff/stories!

Regards,

Jim Roselando
12-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Hello,

Interesting! I will ask about this! I do know that LJ was around during the time period of some of the so-called Ten Tigers. My sifu mentioned to me that Leung Jan sifu was never challenged by any of the Ten Tigers. I guess one can also say that to the best of my knowledge he never challenged any of them but when you are the Gong Sao Wong you dont have to challenge. People always search out the top dog!

Some of these stories need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyone else?

Here is some info. on the Ten Tigers I found on the net!

Although they lived in the later part of the Qing Dynasty in Kwantung Province, they did not appear at the same time as a group. They were about two or three generations after the Five Shaolin Ancestors. The Ten Tigers were Thit Kew Sam, Wong Yein Lam, Wong Khei Yin, Su Hak Fu, Su Hut Yee, Chow Thye, Tham Chai Wen, Wong Cheng Ho, Tit Chee Chan, and See Yu Leong.

Thit Kew Sam was the foremost of the Ten Guangdong Tigers. Thit Kew Sam, which literally means "Iron Bridge Three", was his nickname because his arms were very powerful; his actual name was Leong Khuen. His internal force came mainly from his training of Thit Seen Khuen, or Iron Wire Set.

Wong Yein Lam was a master of Hap Ka (Family of Knights) Kungfu. Hap Ka Kungfu originated from Lama Kungfu of Tibet, but had been modified and taught by Shaolin monks or lay masters. Wong Yein Lam's teacher was a Shaolin monk called Sheng Loong.

Wong Khei Yin was a disciple of Luk Ah Choy and the father of Wong Fei Hung. His was well known for his "no-shadow kicks".

Su Hak Fu was a master of the Black Tiger Style. He was good at the tiger-claw. "Hak Fu" actually means "Black Tiger"; it is uncertain whether it was his real name or nickname.

Su Hut Yee, which means Beggar Su, was originally rich but squandered away his money. He was a master of Hung Gar Kungfu. He learned from Chan Fook, a monk from the southern Shaolin Monastery, and was probably the same Chan Fook who started my lineage from Uncle Righteousness. (Please see below.)

Chow Thye was well known for his staff, known as Tai Cho Chooi Wan Khun, or "Soul-Chasing Staff of the First Emperor". He shot to fame when he defeated an international boxing champion from France.

Tham Chai Wen was known as "Three-Leg Tham" because of his three kicking techniques. They were tiger-tail kick, weeping-floor kick, and organ-seeking kick.

Wong Cheng Ho was famous for his Iron Head. He learned his kungfu in a Guangdong temple from a monk belonging to the Shaolin tradition.

Tit Chee Chan means "Iron Finger Chan"; his real name was unknown. Naturally he was expert at the Iron Finger Art.

See Yu Leong was known for the Red Sand Palm. This is an advanced Shaolin art using internal force which leaves a red mark on the skin of an opponent after being struck.

See ya,

Jim Roselando
12-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Hello,

Nobody willing to share?

Tisk Tisk

Regards,

Nick Forrer
12-19-2003, 06:21 PM
Hi Jim

Would it be possible to post links to the stories you posted earlier? Or perhaps to cut and paste them here. That way there is a single thread with them all on.

Sorry, don't have any to contribute myself.

Regards

Nick

aelward
12-19-2003, 09:25 PM
One WC Sifu told me that he met with a Hung Gar Sifu from Wong Fei-Hong's lineage; that HG Sifu told him that a very young Wong Fei-Hong challenged an aging Leung Jan to a match with poles, and that Leung Jan came out on top.

FIRE HAWK
12-20-2003, 06:54 PM
I know that Wong Kiew Kitt has pictures of Leung Jan in some old magazine , the pictures show Leung Jan in some Wing Chun postures or stances that is what Sifu Wong Kiew Kitt said .

KPM
12-21-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by FIRE HAWK
I know that Wong Kiew Kitt has pictures of Leung Jan in some old magazine , the pictures show Leung Jan in some Wing Chun postures or stances that is what Sifu Wong Kiew Kitt said .

Were magazines with photos common in southern China in the mid 1800's?

Keith

WanderingMonk
12-21-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by KPM

Were magazines with photos common in southern China in the mid 1800's?

Keith

Photography was certainly not common in China even the late 1800s. All you have to do is to search for picture of Wong Fei Hong. He only had one and it burned down with his Bao Zhi Lin during the revolution.

wm

aelward
12-21-2003, 09:53 AM
I heard that Sifu Leung Ting has a picture of Wong Fei-Hong.

Jim Roselando
12-22-2003, 07:50 AM
Hello,

Yes. I have double checked the story with a few sources including Koo Lo family. Wong Fei Hong was about 20 years younger than Leung Jan. While in his prime, he challenged the King Of WC. He was defeated.

Wong Kiew Kit's foto was not of Leung Jan. That story about the picture is not accurate.

As for placing all the different LJ sotires in one location. Maybe in the future. Lets see how generous others are with their LJ info. and then we can start thinking about it.

Regards,

yuanfen
12-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Jim-in the spirit of your call for stories- no TWC spin and TWC are not the only people who heard about Leung Jan teaching Leung Bik. I have no interest in yet another Leung Bik thread or arguing about it. But here is a snip/story from Ho Kam Ming who regularly conversed with Ip man from the mid 50s till Ip man's death:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Above: Late Grandmaster Yip Man.

Late Grandmaster Yip Man started to learn Ving Tsun from Chan Wah Shun at the age of nine. Chan Wah Shun, also known as "Wah the money-changer", was one of Grandmaster Leung Jan's favorite disciples.

Chan Wah Shun was a very skillful Ving Tsun teacher. However, he was relatively uneducated and he was unable to explain in words many key concepts of Ving Tsun. He died at a young age and among his disciples, Yip Man was the youngest to have followed him and continued to do so until his death.

After the death of Chan Wah Shun, Yip Man left Fatshan, China with an incomplete Ving Tsun system. He went to Hong Kong and studied English at St. Steven's Catholic School.

It was during this time that Yip Man met Leung Bik, who was the son of Leung Jan. Yip Man challenged Leung Bik and was beaten. When Yip Man found out who Leung Bik was, Yip Man asked to become his student. Leung Bik was quite a small and skinny man - he did not use muscle power to win and his fighting style was not as hard as that of Chan Wah Shun. As a well educated individual, Leung Bik explained many key concepts of Ving Tsun to Yip Man. As his disciple, Yip Man was able to learn both the hard and soft elements and he completed the Ving Tsun system with all the advance theories. Yip Man later started a Ving Tsun school in Kowloon, Hong Kong, in order to pass down the art.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there is Leung Ting's pictures and discussion of Leung Jan- with his spin on it. Again- this is not for starting a thread.

But all the stories and spins illustrates the deep reverence there is for Leung Jan. He did not mass manufacture wing chun students
but stands at an important point in wing chun history.

old jong
12-22-2003, 11:12 AM
...Are always interresting to read.
On a lighter side,here is a version of the "Origins of BJJ" directly from a BJJ forum!...Click here gentlemen! (http://jiu-jitsu.net/board/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000350) :rolleyes: ;) :D

Jim Roselando
12-22-2003, 11:20 AM
Hello Joy!

Appreciate the willingness to share!

Unfortunately, I am not looking for stories about his students, grandstudents or relatives. I am looking for Leung Jan stories/info. only! From when Leung Jan was teaching his pupils (like the story I relayed about Wong Wah Sam learning how to shift etc) or from some of Leung Jan's fights (like the Wong Fei Hong info.) etc..

Come on guys! Dont be greedy! It is the holiday season after all! hehehe

See attachment for WFH photo!

See ya,

yuanfen
12-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Jim- where is that photo from? Good picture-is that really him?
Thanks for sharing.
Joy

Jim Roselando
12-22-2003, 01:44 PM
Hello,

I will double check on that foto. It was given to me from a good friend.

Since we are talking about Hung Gar why not bring up some more history for all!

Lam Sai Wing. A top pupil of Wong Fei Hong and well known for his fighting ability during his time! Well, a young Lum Wing Fei (aka Lum Sang) had herd of his reputation and challenged the older Lam Sai Wing. Lum Sang was one of the greatest martists of his time and all time IMO. He was not well know to the public but he was the heir to the Jook Lum Gee Nam Tong Long Pai (South Mantis). During an interview Lum sifu was once asked about his fight with Lam Sai Wing. Lum Sang defeated the older Hung Gar master but told the person doing the interview that he regreted beating him because he was in his prime and Lam Sai Wing was older. In case you are wondering! Lum sifu was born 1910 and Lam Sai sifu was somewhere in the 1860's if memory serves me. The young Lum Sang was in his prime youth when Lam Sai was probally around 65 or so and Lam Sai died somehwere in the early 40's!

So, two of Hung Gar's legendary fighting/teaching masters both were defeated by two masters of Duen Kiu south fist arts. Now, if we can go back in time, I would like to see Leung Jan fight with Lum Sang! That would have been a fight!

Regards,

azwingchun
12-24-2003, 03:33 PM
Wasn't there a thread awhile back (a long while back) about that photo? I thought that someone had discovered that the photo was of his son or some relative but not of Wong Fei Hung????

azwingchun
12-24-2003, 03:45 PM
http://www.kungfucinema.com/articles/2001-04-08-01.htm