PDA

View Full Version : Stance Question

taltos
12-09-2003, 10:16 AM
Just curious...

In your neutral stance (your YJKYM if that's what you call it)...

How wide is the stance? Inside the shoulders? At the shoulders? Outside the shoulders?

Is it a matter of feeling that you had to figure out for yourself, or is there a specific distance that you were taught?

And what about the distance between the knees? Is there a specific distance, or is it a feeling?

Thanks!

-Levi

Brithlor
12-09-2003, 01:17 PM
The neutral side stance I use is about as wide as the shoulder plus half of that added on... So basically the feet are a bit wider than shoulder width.

When I practice I usually do it with a much deeper stance than what I would use in either sparring or real fighting. But generally my knees are about shoulder width apart. So the knees are inline with the shoulders and the lower legs come out at angles that make about 150% width of the knees.

The front stance is basically the same with the width apart (From front to back) as the neutral stance is wide, and the same width apart (from side to side).

Hope that helps :).

taltos
12-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Thank you.

Just to make sure I understand the front stance, would it be correct to say that if you drew a perfect square, your feet would be in the diagonally opposite corners (like back left and front right)?

My neutral stance is 1.5 shoulder width as well. I find that anything narrower and I start to feel "top heavy" and less stable.

Thanks again.

-Levi

Keng Geng
12-15-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by taltos
How wide is the stance? Inside the shoulders? At the shoulders? Outside the shoulders? The heels are approximately 1 fist distance from the outside of your shoulder.

Is it a matter of feeling that you had to figure out for yourself, or is there a specific distance that you were taught?There are guidelines to get to that positioning.

And what about the distance between the knees? Is there a specific distance, or is it a feeling?Wherever the toes are.

Keng Geng
12-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by taltos
My neutral stance is 1.5 shoulder width as well. I find that anything narrower and I start to feel "top heavy" and less stable. This is too wide. If you feel top heavy it's because you're missing a few details in the development of your stance.

Just to make sure I understand the front stance, would it be correct to say that if you drew a perfect square, your feet would be in the diagonally opposite corners (like back left and front right) Not quite. Depends on which part of the feet you're talking about. Feet do cover quite a bit of ground. More specificity is necessary. But, first you need the right YJKYM stance, or you won't have the right front stance. A stance is not a stance is not a stance. All stances are driven by the YJKYM.