PDA

View Full Version : General Kwan

wushu chik
12-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Hey all,
I'm just wondering if any of you have seen one of these before, and if you know how much it would be worth? I just picked it up the other day from a Chinese Restaurant, and she picked it up from Seattle China Town.

Anyone have any ideas how I could go about finding out how much it's worth, and how old it is, etc? And NO, it's not for sale!

General Kwan (http://community.webshots.com/album/104088666NeHmYX)

~Wen~

cho
12-09-2003, 09:04 PM
If you bought at a restaurant, it probably isn't an antique, but if you paid a lot for it that's probably because it's colored, whereas most trinkets are colored red.

I don't really know, just my thoughts.

wushu chik
12-09-2003, 09:09 PM
She's a friend of mine, and she's had it for quite a few years in the restaurant. It's not your every day Chinese Restaurant, these are people I knew....they sold it to me just because they didn't know what else to do with it as they're remodeling and stuff. I think it's pretty old, as it's been worn in a few places (flags come off of the poles for moving them, and they're worn at the bottms, etc...)

Just curious though!

~Wen~

Shaolinlueb
12-09-2003, 09:47 PM
hmmmm. try to find a local antiques apraiser or something. thats my best advice.

Shaolin Dude
12-09-2003, 10:44 PM
you could find that in a lot of chinese gift/antique stores. I'm estimating those cost between 50-100

templefist
12-09-2003, 11:01 PM
That is one of the coolest things that I have seen. I've never seen a Kwan statue in the pose before. I cant wait to see it in the school. If I stop working out and start gawking at it....punch me in the gut.

templefist

wushu chik
12-09-2003, 11:18 PM
50-100 bucks? You wish. Dude, this thing is like 3 feet tall almost...and it's not made of plastic or anything like that...it's made out of some resin. I've never seen anything like it before, in China town SF or Seattle. I've been to both TONS of times too.

Templefist-
Just remember, now that I've got permission to punch ya, I'm gonna take you up on it. JUST REMEMBER YOU GAVE IT TO ME :D

~Wen~

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-10-2003, 01:20 AM
long time no see wushuchick.

do you like my new avatar?

wushu chik
12-10-2003, 01:30 AM
Hey hey GDA...

Yeah, the avatar is so....uh, you!

How are ya doing?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-10-2003, 01:58 AM
****ty.

but thanks for asking.

and yourself?

norther practitioner
12-10-2003, 10:25 AM
Nice pieces WC...

I'm jealous.:D

scotty1
12-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Wushu Chik, do you look like Alanis Morrisette?

David Jamieson
12-10-2003, 11:12 AM
The resin ones aren't so expensive, the ceramic ones are more expensive and real jade or jadite statuary of just about anything has higher value.

With antiquity the value is even more and antiquity +provenance can be priceless.

Most Chinese Restaurants have a Kwan Gong as he is the "protector" of Restaurants, Financial institutions, Kungfu schools and many others.

Depending on size and what shape it's in, it could be worth between 100usd and 1000usd.

But I would put it closer to 100 simply because it is only made of the resin.

(but then, can you put a value on something you love?)

cheers

GeneChing
12-10-2003, 11:27 AM
That looks like a nice one, but if it's made of resin, Kung Lek is right, it's probably not worth too much. Resin casting is a fairly modern method, meaning it's not really an antique. If it were wood, ceramic, stone or metal, it might be worth more. It's big though, so that increases it's value. There are lots of modern made statues of General Kwan, he's probably the 2nd most popular deity in China. We offer a solid brass General Kwan (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/70121.html) - it's only 5" high, but it's less than $20.

If you like it, there's value in that. I have several Kwan's. I have an antique glass painting that was presented to me by a couple that I married - that's the centerpiece in my ancestral altar at home. I alos have a brass one that I paid way too much for at Guanlin Temple (where Kwan is buried, or part of him at least). I even have a little Kwan right next to my monitor here - I can't remember where that one came from. Personally, I think all CMA people should have a General Kwan. He oversees martial arts, literature, small business, gamblers, and is a protector of the people. He symbolizes that which is noble and chivalrous in CMA.

cho
12-10-2003, 11:37 AM
3 feet tall?! That's quite a find.

The guy I bought my Kwan Yu from said, "Kwan likes being cleaned." Hope it doesn't get too dusty.

wushu chik
12-10-2003, 12:20 PM
I don't know what it's made of. I'm not really concerned with how much it's worth. The only reason I really was asking is because I wanted to know where to put it for now until I get it in the school because of my boys :).

What I do know though is it's an absolutely beautiful piece, and yes, I do love it. The reason it was in the chinese restaurant is because my friend couldn't find a place for it at home (her husband didn't want to sell it, but in the end, he had no choice muahahaha). It wasn't for the altar or anything, it was sitting in a glass case with another General Kwan she'd picked up that was 6 feet tall.

Scotty1- No, I don't look like Alanis, but I can sing like her HAHA!

GDA- I'm doing great.....I live in Portland now, and everything is rad up here! The weather sucks though, that's the only downer! Other than that though, life is grand! AND- I finished my X-mas shopping early....now how many of you can say THAT?? Why are you sh!tty?

Gene- It never ceases to amaze me how you can throw ads in a thread ;). You crack me up! But, I do already have one of the Solid Brass General Kwans (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/70121.html) from you guys! And I have I think 4 or 5 others I've picked up from different places! Not to mention I have like 7 Kwan Yins too! And panda bears, you guys needa sell more panda bears! I have TONS of panda bears in my house!

Anyway, thanks all for the help.

BTW- What's on everyone's Christmas list this year? It's always interesting to see what other Martial Artists want for Christmas LOL!

~Wen~

Meat Shake
12-10-2003, 03:08 PM
My chrimmus list...
Olympic weight set, bench, and weights.
A sexy 5'6" Blonde or brunette with large breasts, and a nice ass.
No I dont mean a woman on a donkey.

GeneChing
12-10-2003, 03:46 PM
Yeah, plugging product is a skill of mine, a necessary skill if you make a living like I do. But honestly now, look at my plugs versus some of the others who plug various stuff on our forum and who's would you rather read? At least mine give you a little info with the 'mercial.

Figure out what it's made of. I've been thinking that a resin cast peice is seldom that big, so it may well be made of some different material. Wood or ceramic, perhaps? General Kwan should be positioned on a solid foundation in a place of veneration. don't put him over the TV or the washing machine. He deserves his own space. Placing him somewhere lower can create bad feng shui and actually make things worse, if you beleive in that sort of thing. I worked on a series on Feng Shui for Kung Fu Schools with our Feng Shui master Wilson Sun. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/info/horoscope/index.php) It started in March 2000 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=111) and ran for several issues. We discussed the positioning of an altar such as a Kwan altar for each of the cardinal directions in Feng Shui. Check it out.

One more thing, we're not selling panda bears. But I'd be remiss in my duty here not to mention the bear we do sell. (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/7513.html)

wushu chik
12-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Gene-
I was checking out part of the flag that's worn away at the bottom, and it's a very white material that it's made out of. I don't think it's cement, because it's too white. I'm thinking ceramic. It's really big, and REALLY heavy. It's an awesome piece, you should come up and check it out! Thanks for the info though, I'm trying to figure out how to give my house "good Feng Shui. Hopefully it'll mellow this house out a little? That's my hopes anyway! I'll be checking out the links, and relooking thru my KFQ mags to find the articles (since you know I have EVERY one of them :p.

And, as for the Bear you do sell (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/7513.html), the boys have 2, and they're hanging on their bedroom window. :D

~Wen~

Volcano Admim
12-10-2003, 08:03 PM
hey Wen, wazzup :) :D

gene dude, since youre here and youre a good will-ful person and i feel like we relate and we communicate so well (we really bond) maybe you could help us out in here okay mkay
you see, i wanted a fused account (FU-SION... HA!)
could you guys provide me a "Xebby Odd-me-in" or "Xebby Odd-man" or "Volsball Xebbymin" account of some kind for me? then i wouldnt have an awesome doubt and power struggle when i want to post something, oh yeah then id wanna use the same email that i use on Xebsball thats the main reason why, cos a new account doesnt accept same email you know
please please? :)

Bluesman
12-10-2003, 11:12 PM
I had a couple of Kwans in my aquarium. Was that bad ju ju ?

anton
12-11-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Bluesman
I had a couple of Kwans in my aquarium. Was that bad ju ju ?

Nah, but i bet they scared the crap out of your fish.

Shaolin-Drunk
12-11-2003, 07:53 AM
What I do know though is it's an absolutely beautiful piece, and yes, I do love it. The reason it was in the chinese restaurant is because my friend couldn't find a place for it at home (her husband didn't want to sell it, but in the end, he had no choice muahahaha). It wasn't for the altar or anything, it was sitting in a glass case with another General Kwan she'd picked up that was 6 feet tall.

Did she sell the 6 foot Kwan too??

wushu chik
12-11-2003, 12:18 PM
Nope, I don't think she's gonna sell it. I think she's going to integrate that into the rest of the restaurant.

:)

~Wen~

GeneChing
12-11-2003, 01:29 PM
WC - Is it hollow?

VA - I don't think I can fuse accounts. I remember trying to do so before without any luck.

BM - You'd give a Feng Shui master a heart attack with an aquatic Kwan. It's akin to an aquatic madonna or crucifix, if you beleive in that.

Shaolin-Drunk
12-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by wushu chik
Nope, I don't think she's gonna sell it. I think she's going to integrate that into the rest of the restaurant.

:)

~Wen~

Drat, What does the 6 foot model look like, is it him standing up with his knife?? :)

David Jamieson
12-11-2003, 05:44 PM
...or jesus in a tortilla at taco bell. lol

Kwan in the fishtank??? How will he bring you protection and luck if he can't breath???

cheers

wushu chik
12-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Gene-
No, it's not hollow. I held it and looked under it, and it's completely solid (and hella heavy!). Also, the stand part at the bottom of it is kinda pitted. It's got no markings that I can see, but there's lots of paint like smeared underneath it too.

The Gen Kwan is on a gold throne sitting, and it's huge. But no, shes keeping it. He's holding the Kwan Do in his right hand. He's also surrounded by a lot of red and gold and has a table in front of him. Next time I'm down there I'll get a picture for you.

~Wen~

Shaolin-Drunk
12-12-2003, 06:56 AM
Gene-
No, it's not hollow. I held it and looked under it, and it's completely solid (and hella heavy!). Also, the stand part at the bottom of it is kinda pitted. It's got no markings that I can see, but there's lots of paint like smeared underneath it too.

The Gen Kwan is on a gold throne sitting, and it's huge. But no, shes keeping it. He's holding the Kwan Do in his right hand. He's also surrounded by a lot of red and gold and has a table in front of him. Next time I'm down there I'll get a picture for you.

~Wen~

:) Yeah post a picture for me, when ever you get a chance!! I would like to see that one!

wushu chik
12-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Shaolin-Drunk-
Will do, i'll probably be going back down there at the first of the year for my nephews first bday....if i do, i'll get a picture for ya then!

Shaolin-Drunk
12-12-2003, 02:11 PM
Thanks, I never heard of a 6' kwan.. I've only seen them up to 4' Just just sparked my interest!!

deezy24
12-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Hey hey GDA...

Yeah, the avatar is so....uh, you!

:D LOL!!!!

GeneChing
12-15-2003, 11:22 AM
That's weird. Most ceramic things have to be hollow or they'll explode in the kiln. Wonder what you've got there...?

rubthebuddha
12-15-2003, 11:33 AM
i say it's maché, so don't get it wet. ;)

Fen
12-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Sorry rubthebuddha it's NOT maché! I will get some pics of the bottom of it and post it!

~Jason