PDA

View Full Version : Differences, similarities, intentions, etc...

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
12-10-2003, 10:21 AM
After reviewing the recent postings on the "Mastering Kung Fu" thread, I felt the need to make a few observations.

A lot of concern seems to revolve around the differences/similarites between various lineages. If you really stop and think about it, all of our various lineages must have a certain level of similarity to them or they could not all be called "wing chun kuen". So it's pretty silly to argue that your style of WC is "totally and completely different, and should not be included in the same catagory" as a different branch. If it's that totally different, then you should be posting on some other forum. It also seems pretty obvious to me that all lineages will contain some degree of difference from each other, or there would be no need to compare notes and see what each other are doing. Nor would we bother to even make any distinction between lineages. But there are differences, and there are similarities. This isn't a bad thing really, it's gives all of us something to think about as we continue our own practice, and varying ideas and points of view to discuss and compare. It helps keep our thoughts and ideas from becoming stagnant. I'm amazed that for practicioners of an art that is built on principles of yin/yang, harmonizing forces, of instant reactive change can become so polarized into such rigid, fixed positions of dogmatic extremity. That's a pretty big no-no in your wing chun, right? If you can't accept our similarities, you don't need to be posting in here. If you can't accept and CALMLY discuss our differences, you don't need to be posting in here either.

Then there's the question of "intentions". There seems to be a lot of concern with "why you said this" "what was the point to this" "what are your intentions" "What kind of agenda are you pushing..." etc... Well I can tell you what this forum is intended for. It's intended for the sharing of information. But there is NO way to determine with 100% certainty what the intentions of other posters are beyond the idea that they are here to share information the same as you. It is extremely erroneous on your part to assume that another forum poster is posting with any intentions other than to share information. It's just too easy to misread what someone wrote to be able to say what their intentions are. So if someone makes a statement, it is perfectly ok to refute their statement. But it is NOT acceptable to question their motives for having a discusson with you. Posts that contain anything even vagely like that are going to be summarily deleted from here on out. If you think someone is out to get you, email them or PM them about it.

As to refuting arguments....there is a big difference between telling someone "I think you are wrong, and here is why...." and making some sort of comment on their behaviour ie: "It is so arrogant of you to have said that!!!" There is no need for that, even if you are correct in your statement. But as mentioned before, this is a written medium, and what you might interpret as arrogance might actually just be a poorly worded attempt at expressing an opinion. This is just a limitation of the written medium. If you just feel compelled to point out to someone that they have behavioural problems, please use your PMs and email. The compulsive need to reply like that on the forum instead of taking it offline is really more about 'saving face' in public than it is about making a point to someone about how their behavior is coming arcross to you. Please keep your ego in check.

As always, if anyone wants to discuss any of this with me, feel free to email me, I'm always willing to talk about any of this. I very sincerely feel that if people would try and be just a little more open minded, and a little more considerate of others, then we could all learn a lot more. This forum is for the civil discussion of Wing Chun Kuen. I really hope that everyone on this board makes the decison to stay on here and participate in a constructive manner.