PDA

View Full Version : I am unsure what style is right for me.

New Guy
08-05-2000, 06:32 AM
I am going into the 10th grade and am about 5'4" tall and about 115lbs, compared to everyone else in my school I am kinda short. I want everyones advice on what style of fighting would be right for me. I have tried tae kwan doe(i think thats right) and did not like it. I am looking for something that is not completely defense based(like the styles I have tried) but more offense based. Please email me with your advice.

08-05-2000, 06:38 AM
Try wrestling or judo. you're short which will give you a good advantage on a lot of takedowns.

MonkeySlap
08-05-2000, 06:55 AM
I concur. I was about your size in the ninth grade and started Judo. While it is a sport, it is readily applicable if you practice hard and have a good sensei.

If Shuai Chiao is available, I reccomend this even more. Kali/Silat/Escrima can also be a good choice.

If nothing else, check out a good boxing club.

Look for the quality of instruction, but also look at the moral character of the instructor. Your first teacher will have a big impact on your life.

totallyfrozen
08-07-2000, 05:57 AM
Wow...that's a hard question to answer.
You said you are looking for something that is not JUST defensive..but offensive. But you did not say you were looking for a SPORT rather than a combat oriented style.
Wrestling, Tae Kwon Do, boxing, Judo...these are sports. You can use them in a fight...but you should understand that you will be trained to have certain limitations because they are sport related.
For example, boxing won't teach you how to kick, Tae Kwon Do will train you to try to make long, pretty kicks, etc.
Other than that, you have to decided what type of physical activity you like and how much aerobic/acrobatic ability you have.
As I understand it, the Nothern China styles of Kung Fu are more long reach, kick oriented styles (although they have hand work too, of course)...and may be quite physically demanding with jumps and stuff. I believe the Southern China styles are more close range, hand oriented styles which rely less on kicks and more on hand speed and stuff.
Certain arts, like certain forms of Karate are best suited to physically strong muscular bodies where as some arts (like some Kung Fu styles) are best suited to light weight, fast bodies.
Aikido is not a sport but is intirely defensive.
Hapkido is pretty wicked..but is a hard, karate style (muscle strenght, etc.).
Being short would help you in wrestling..but being light won't. You could wrestle guys in your weight class but after school when some big bully comes messing....you might not be able to take him.
Do you want to fight up close?
Do you want to stand way back?
How fast are your hands and feet?
Are you strong or do you get strong easily with some weights?
I would ask myself some of these questions and then go ask some of the instructors in your area what they think.
Keep in mind that an instructor gets $$ when you come to his school so he may or may not be honest with you about your needs.
You don't know until you ask.
Good Luck.
One last thought...even if you take a martial art outside of school...you would benefit from taking wrestling in school also, if you can.
Every fighter should know how to work on the ground.