PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 of Olympic Lifting

Ford Prefect
12-12-2003, 08:38 AM
What a week. My shoulders and legs are feeling it since I basically hit them hard all 4 days. I've already made some pretty big gains in terms of flexability since I do pretty exetnsive warrm-ups with oly lift assistance exercises, but it's a bit humbling using such low weights especially on my power snatch. I feel realy good though. My body definately likes the full body aspect of all the workouts. I upped my cardio work as well.

The basic scheme is this -

Warm-up: 5 minutes on x-country elliptical and stretching

Shoulder - Hip Warm-up: 2 circuits of snatch assistance exercises w/empty bar (overhead squat, snatch presses, etc)

Body Warm-up: 1 circuit of moderately weighted exercises like snatch high pulls, clean high pulls, squat presses, goodmornings, and rowing.

Lifting is:

Monday: Snatch Day (snatch + assistance exercises like cuban press, overhead squat...)

Tuesday: Jerk Day (jerk variations + presses and jump squats, 1/4 front squats...)

Thursday: Clean day (clean + assistance exercises like clean pulls, slow clean, front squat...)

Friday: Basic day (bench press, squats, pulls, dips, presses, dls...)

Suntzu
12-12-2003, 09:00 AM
sounds like fun......

Cheese Dog
12-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Sounds like great stuff, Ford. What are you doing for sets/reps? 3x3 or similiar?

IronFist
12-13-2003, 01:10 AM
What's a Cuban press? Why are you doing OL'ing? I forgot if you mentioned it already.

Toby
12-13-2003, 07:51 AM
Wish I had a coach around to teach me oly lifts :( I'm too scared to try them by myself. I have enough trouble getting the powerlift forms right. Anyway, after I achieve certain powerlift goals (like 1000 total), I might try to get into them. I like the idea of explosiveness that might be better than powerlifting. Any ideas as to the best way to learn without coaching?

Ka
12-13-2003, 03:23 PM
Good Value
Ford,see if you like these intergrated in your WU
http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/onearmbarbell.htm
Cuban Press, great for people with Roatator Cuff Injuries
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Cuban+Press
Toby
Its worthwhile at least having someone to train with who already does O Lifts.Or a Gym with a Platform and room to grunt and groan.

Toby
12-14-2003, 12:20 AM
Ka,

I've got a home gym (power rack, bench, bar, plates). Can't afford membership fees any more, plus my old gym didn't have any OL experts. Guess I'll stick to PLing.

Ford Prefect
12-15-2003, 08:25 AM
Toby,

I learned the Oly lifts from book and tape before getting a couple privates with a coach to adjust my form. There is a great set at ironmind.com but I can't remember the name off hand. It's something like "Oly-weight lifting for beginners and intermediate".

Ka,

I've done the one-arm barbell stuff in the past and feel it has very little carry-over to the actual Olympic lifts.

Iron,

To be more explosive for gymnastics.

fa_jing
12-15-2003, 10:16 AM
It's different, but in the Kettlebell world, they tell us to do the Jerk assistance on Snatch day and the Snatch assistance on the Jerks day. But I bet thats because it's more strength endurance and less limit strength - like long distance running you want to practice for each movement as many days a week as possible.

Toby
12-15-2003, 07:05 PM
Found it Ford, thanks. I've been thinking about a large Ironmind order anyway, so I might pick it up. I want to get the hub gripper, claw curl, heavy hammer II, dexterity balls, oly loading pin & carabiner. Any comments, anyone used any of them?

Should only cost me about $80 postage to Oz :(.