PDA

View Full Version : Training Routine, Post Injury

Vash
12-13-2003, 03:16 PM
Okay, here's my current plan for weight training, after I'm 100%, and have been so for some time.

Weights
----------
(Mon, Thur)

Warmup:

Stationary Bike: 20 Minutes
One kata, Alternate Every Workout
1 Set of 8, compund moves, circuit fashion
General Stretching, about 10-15 minutes

Workout:

Dumb Bell Clean and Jerk: 2x8
Neutral Grip Pullup: 1x8, 1x10
Machine Row: 2x8
DB Reverse Flye: 2x8
DB Lateral Raise: 2x8
Triceps Kickback: 2x8
Alternating Biceps Curl: 2x8
Forearm Work: Vary moves, weight, reps

Cool Down:

One Kata, Alternate Every Workout
General Stretching

[No leg work, as I will be actively doing physical therapy on my knees. Will throw in occasional work on my VMOs during the session, though]

Karate
--------
(Monday Morning)

Warmup:

One Random Kata

Workout:
All 15 Upper Body Basics, 10 Lower Body Basics
10 Movements - Five Stepping Forward, Five Backward

(Tuesday)

[Also a class day, two 45 kids class, one hour adult]

Warmup:

Both Sides, Two Man Set
Random Kata
General Stretches

Workout:

Each Kata;
8 Empty Hand Kata, Both Sides, Two Man Set, non-standard Application Kata (antithesis to Seisan kata), Bo Kata, Chizi kun Bo Kata
[11 Total Empty Hand Forms, 13 with Weapons: Random Sequence, Go through each at least 3 times]

Cooldown:

Random Kata

(Wednesday)

Warmup:

Random Kata
Both Sides of Two Man
Specific Stretching, Upper or Lower Body

Workout:

5 3.5-Minute Rounds, Heavy Bag. Either Upper or Lower Body Strikes. Not worried about speed, yet.
30sec Break between rounds

Skipping Rope:

3 3-minute rounds, various footwork

(Thursday)
[Also Class day, 2 45min Kids, 1 Hour Adult]

Just weights, in addition to class

(Friday)

Warmup:

Random Kata
Both Sides, Two Man
General Stretching

Workout:

Take one kata -
--Go through 5 times, varying speed
--Take sequences from, make into drills
--Reverse it

Cooldown:

Repeat kata from above

(Saturday)

1 Hour Kata Class, light work

Warmup:

Random Kata
Both Sides of Two Man
Specific Stretching, Upper or Lower Body

Workout:

5 3.5-Minute Rounds, Heavy Bag. Either Upper or Lower Body Strikes. Not worried about speed, yet.
30sec Break between rounds

Skipping Rope:

3 3-minute rounds, various footwork

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know I need one more rest day than Sunday, and my schedules are gonna be full Mon, Wed, and Fri, with school.

Just reply, I'll listen ;)

Vash
12-13-2003, 03:17 PM
Ab and Low Back Work will be done Mon, Wed, and Fri mornings.

General Stretching will be done every day.

shaolin kungfu
12-14-2003, 08:27 PM
nice to hear your gettin back to workin out.:)

Vash
12-14-2003, 09:07 PM
Still several months off, at least. Just keeping my mind busy.

Vash
12-14-2003, 11:05 PM
Also, thanks for the support. 'lways nice.

"One day, I shall be a bad-@$$ in training again . . ."

- Mantra of the Severly Misinformed -

Vash
12-20-2003, 10:06 PM
More to keep myself motivated and looking at the positive, I'm gonna use this thread to a) chart my healing progress, and b) Post changes to my workout.

I figger, with a bit of creative deleting, I could turn this into my own, personal training log.

Okay, on with the important stuff.

Rib Status
It's coming along. Been having a lot of spasming around the area where my floating rib broke away from the cartilage. It's starting to feel better in that area. Coming along nicely, I think.

After I get all good into my training routine as outlined above, I think I'm gonna start with a Makiwara conditioning cycle. Figger I can get one of those Iron Palm kits Gene's always selling, see what happens.

SanSoo Student
12-21-2003, 01:07 AM
As long as you incrementally increase the weight little by little over a 2 month period while post training you should be good as before in no time, I mean strength-wise, because it is up to the person how rusty their MA skills have got.

I couldn't train for 6 months about 3 years ago, due to sand-bag injury one night when I was ****ed off at some sh!t and started to whale on it till my fingers went numb and wrists started to throb. I sprained my wrists really badly, swelled like bright-apple red, and bruised the bones on the top knuckles, and phalanges, and lower knuckle joints.

It was 6 months till normal, cuz everytime I tried to get my strength back, I would increase the weight too fast. Until, the last couple of months I did small weight increases and more reps.

Call me an idiot, but hey I just wanted to get back into training. :p

Hope you start to kick @ss ASAP!

Vash
12-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Deear, Sweet F#CK. Okay, I was super careful going into town, careful walking, careful doing everything. Then, while I'm intently reading the computer screen, my girlfriend walks up and, just like a lot of non-MA do, feints a "kick" of sorts at me. Cept, she figures I'll block it or something, just like I always do.

Right into the joint between my hip and leg. Nice "whip and push" motion achieved. Popped that ****ing rib right the **** back out. Not as bad as it could be, but certainly not that **** good.

I'm unhappy.:(

SanSoo Student
12-22-2003, 01:24 PM
One of those unpredictable acts of nature. ;)

Vash
12-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Indeed.

yenhoi
12-28-2003, 11:15 PM
I would increase your two-man sets greatly, and add breathwork.

;)

Vash
12-28-2003, 11:28 PM
Well, I'm not going to be doing the two-man sets with a partner outside of class. And they're a bit more two-dimensional than I prefer.

As for breathwork . . . what are you referring too? Not familiar with the term.

yenhoi
12-29-2003, 01:07 AM
breathing exercises?

I dont have the farmer burns link handy, maybe a search on farmer burns.

Yoga. etc..

I would still get as much contact with other people as possible.

:eek:

Vash
12-29-2003, 07:29 AM
The workout I have posted is just my solo workout. We do a lot of partner work in-class.

If I had time, I'd be doing a lot of work with a partner outside of class, but I don't know anyone who runs on the same schedule I do.

I neglected to post the "Xingyi Nei Gong" found in the book of the same name. I will also be doing those, probably twice or thrice a week.

Vash
01-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Decided on some leg work, in addition to my physical therapy.

Know I'm gonna have some farmer's walk with them heavy-arse dumbbells. Definetly doing some cable work on my VMOs. Might do leg cursl for my hams. My quads will be getting more than enough with bagwork (kick-only days), stance training, and the physical therapy.