PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu shoes

Songshan
12-14-2003, 09:08 AM
Gene, I remember reading a while back a thread about Feivue shoes vs. the black shoes (I don't know the name) that some of the other monks wear. I was wondering if the MartialArtsMart carried the black shoes or do you know where I can find a pair of them to try out? I have always wore the Feivue shoes and like them but was real curious about the black ones. Thanks.

Adam

Kristoffer
12-14-2003, 10:25 AM
I like adidas

GeneChing
12-16-2003, 09:25 AM
I've been looking into black Feiyues, following a lead I got a while back. We've put an inquiry into the company directly but I haven't heard back yet. too patriotic? My memory of the black Feiyues were that they were just painted black, but other now say that Feiyue has a black line. Anyway, any inquiry from China takes time because, well, Chinese companies have face to maintain, so if they don'thave it, they might just make it.

Generally, it's been my experience that the monks wear monk shoes or Feiyues (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/45353l.html). But if your looking at shoes, I'll mention that we've just redesigned the Tiger Claw shoe (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/90-201.html) sole, and we have another new line coming in (other than thunderkicks (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/thunderkicks.html)) very soon, so keep an eye on www.martialartsmart.com.

Kristoffer
12-17-2003, 03:55 AM
Gene, I've always thought that if you put in a metal plate in the front and heel of a couple of sneakers made of leather you would have the perfect martial art shoes. I 'm thinking it to be like those Thundershoes but with metal... (you know like shoes used by lumberjacks or simillar. Only flexible like sneakers)
Any chance we'll see that happening?

GeneChing
12-17-2003, 10:40 AM
There are actually a whole line of steel-tipped shoes for industrial work, mostly work boots, but I have seen steel-tipped athletic shoes. When I worked as a swordmaker, I went through a steel-tip phase out of fear of dropping a pommel on my toe. I got over it. There are a few downsides to metal-tipped shoes from my experience. First, they're heavy. Over a long day at work, the extra weight can be bothersome. I suppose you can get used to it, like working with ankle weights, but there is a definate trade-off. Second, their cold. That sword shop was freezing in the winter - you'd see you breath inside and often clutch metal that had just been ground to get warm. But third, and most significant for our topic here, is that steel-tip tend to pinch your foot with the edge of the steel when you kick something. I imagine that this is in part a design flaw, since steel tips are designed to protect, not inflict. Perhaps with an improved design and some practice on what type of kicks to use, this is surmountable.

As for steel-tips actually being marketed to martial artists, that seems unlikely. We have enough problems just selling nunchuks (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/nunchaku.html). Where you might see something like that would be the survivalist/paramilitary suppliers.

To develop a shoe in the martial arts is pretty costly and it's a very competative market. Shoes are big business, as you know. The start-up is a lot because of production, and you have to stock all the sizes. The only advantage is that most are outsourced ato be made in Asia, but then you have clothing tariff to deal with. So you frequently see small start-ups trying to push a new shoe, but they are often destined to failure.

Kristoffer
12-17-2003, 01:23 PM
Oh I didn't know you worked as a sword maker before, interesting. I might have another discussion about this with you in the future..

I can see that metal plated shoes will be very cold (and where I'm at this isn't a good thing). But I would have thought the shoes to be lighter than you describe them to be. Some years ago there was a big trend among skin heads and thugs to wear army boots with metal plates. I've seen people get kicked by those and they worked at the time. ALthough I don't kick with the point of my foot, it's a cool idea.

Being a shoe salesman would be the last thing on my mind... But it would be interesting to try and make a pair of my own, do you think that would be hard? Maybe get in touch with some chinese company somewhere. I'm thinking metal plate on the top of the foot/ankle and on the heel. On as light sneakers as possible. Get my vision? :)

norther practitioner
12-17-2003, 01:26 PM
But third, and most significant for our topic here, is that steel-tip tend to pinch your foot with the edge of the steel when you kick something.

I don't know if we want to know why you know this Gene...

Is there an underlying reason for your Buddhism?:D :eek:

GeneChing
12-17-2003, 06:03 PM
K: I should clarify my earlier post by saying that these were my experiences. In my youth, I'd trade speed and accuracy for a steel-tipped boot to the butt, and for me, the steel-tips reduced my agility. But that's just me. Some people, like you mention, get a lot of mileage out of that sort of thing. I used to have this pair of sap gloves, beautifully made leather gloves with knuckles packed with lead sand, now those were real beauties. Illegal as hell, so you couldn't really carry them, but fun for a collector. Anyway, good luck with your design.

NP: I used to pack all sorts of weapons in my youth. It was almost a fetish. No more. Got older, and wiser, or at least more legal.

norther practitioner
12-17-2003, 09:02 PM
NP: I used to pack all sorts of weapons in my youth. It was almost a fetish. No more. Got older, and wiser, or at least more legal.

More legal.....?

yeah, I've gotten beaf for practicing different sword forms in the park.

:D

I don't want to know what you used to carry up that sleeve.

I'm sure your experience making swords fulfilled some childhood fantisies though.

Songshan
12-18-2003, 07:12 AM
Hey Gene, been reading the interesting posts here :p
Anyways, I think it may be the black line. The kind of shoe Iam talking about are those worn by the monks in the Wheel of Life tour. I couldn't really tell if they were the black Feiyues or a different line. At any rate they looked pretty comfortable and it appeared they had a little more padding than the white Feiyues. Those black shoes didn't appear to be clunky either. The only problem I have with the white Feiyues is that they tend to get a little "flat" on the sole after they start wearing out. Shi Xing Hao has us wear nothing but Feiyues during training but I would like to find a pair of those black shoes for our school demos.

norther practitioner
12-18-2003, 09:22 AM
Get some foot beds for those suckers....:D

helps eliminate that problem.

GeneChing
12-18-2003, 11:04 AM
np - Swordmaking was more of a fantasy as an adult. After grad school, I needed a physical job, real physical. Working in a shop was perfect.

And I'm not sure footbed would work with feiyues...

ss - Yeah, this one spiralled off topic, didn't it. I'm inquiring about the blacks. There are a few new shoes that are making the rounds amongst CMA people now. Like I mentioned, we have a new line coming in, as well as an improved sole for our Tiger Claw line.

That's funnny that Xinghao makes your wear Feiyues, especially since he's our feiyue poster monk (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=387).

Volcano Admim
12-18-2003, 03:24 PM
indoor soccer shoes are by far the best option

Songshan
12-20-2003, 08:14 AM
Well, I guess for now we will just have to call them the mystery black shoes! :p But don't worry Gene I will be watching the shoe line as they come out. I like Feiyues dont get me wrong. I just tend to go through them rather quickly. But at any rate Shi Xing Hao always liked that brand and he's got boxes of them in his office. Oh yeah nice ding bu stance pic Gene!!!! :D

GeneChing
12-22-2003, 09:58 AM
One of the only stance I can still do with any grace...

GeneChing
07-28-2004, 10:10 AM
We had them made specially for Tiger Claw (http://www.tigerclaw.com) - these are original Feiyues - NOT THE CHEAP KNOCK OFFS - now in black. Get you black Feiyues here! (http://store.martialartsmart.net/4535k.html)

Starchaser107
07-28-2004, 10:59 AM
u gonna have them @ taiji legacy ?

GeneChing
07-28-2004, 12:20 PM
...I don't sell at events, I report. And schmooze ;)

I also travel light so I doubt I'll bring a pair, but they're exactly like the whites, only black.

Tak
07-29-2004, 12:20 PM
but they're exactly like the whites, only black.
Decades of civil rights activism summed up in eight words...

When I ran cross-country, we wore what were basically feiyues with 1" (removable/replaceable) spikes protruding from the soles. There were very few fights at these events...

It's been my experience as well with steel-toed boots that the toecap will bend in on your foot under duress.