PDA

View Full Version : New Squat PR (long post)

IronFist
12-15-2003, 12:27 AM
Well, technically it was a new PR. Let me see, how can I explain this without having to post the actual numbers, since my squat numbers are pathetically weak.

Alright. Before tonight the most I had ever squatted was x weight for 5 reps. When put through the formula, this gave me a hypothetical 1RM of y. The weight I squatted tonight for 1 rep was z, which was higher than x, but less than my old hypothetical 1RM of y. Make sense? So technically, while I should have been able to squat more than this before, I never did. So even tho it was for only 1 rep, this was the most weight I've ever completed a rep with. I think I explained that right.

My workout was like this:

5 sets of 10 box squats with a pretty light weight (not that light for me, tho)
Then I'm like alright whatever, let's try some singles with squats (regular squats, not box squats this time). So I did 3 singles, working up to the PR that I hit on the 3rd single. That PR was a little over 100lbs more than the weight I did 5 x 10 with. Not that that means anything without knowing the actual numbers, but 100lbs sounds like a lot :)

The squat rack I use at this gym has a mirror in front of it, which is AWESOME. My university's gym did not. Anyway, coming up I almost got stuck like about half way up* but I pulled through it. But, I ended up leaning to the left a bit so my left quad did noticibly more work than my right one. Boooo. Any tips on how to not do this next time? I was glad I got the rep, but I was upset that I leaned to the side.

I also took some deep breaths before the attempt and then got kinda dizzy after I racked the weight. I don't think I held my breath during the rep, tho, but I don't remember. I usually don't hold my breath so I'm pretty sure I didn't.

And if you want a hint at how weak I am, I weighed 162.3lbs tonight and my new PR is much much much less than 2x bodyweight. More than 225 tho. Haha I'm weak. But shut up cuz I'm happy about my new PR. :D

*I'm talking full range, ass to the ground squats. So when I say I almost got stuck "about half way up," I mean half way of a full range of motion which is with my knees a little more than 90 degrees.

Toby
12-15-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
Alright. Before tonight the most I had ever squatted was x weight for 5 reps. When put through the formula, this gave me a hypothetical 1RM of y. The weight I squatted tonight for 1 rep was z, which was higher than x, but less than my old hypothetical 1RM of y. I got a headache reading that :( :D

Anyway, congrats. Always good fun to break a PR. Luckily, I started doing squats and deadlifts very conservatively, so I get PR's every fortnight :D

I sometimes get dizzy from heavy squats. I think it's probably to do with the change in blood pressure between before, during and after the lift. Hope it's not anything to worry about. I often hold my breath during the concentric phase too.

Re the weight, I doubt I could do 225 to the floor and back. Try them my cheating PL-style - I managed 297 lbs last week and I'm not even close to failure :D. It's all relative to your body weight, anyway. I'm more impressed by the ratio against bodyweight than I am totals, although big totals are cool. Like when we all posted BP maxes a while back. Someone had 280 and I was definitely impressed, but not as much as the guy who had 260 @ 140 or something.

Ford Prefect
12-15-2003, 08:21 AM
Congrats, Iron.

Toby, it's nothing to worry about. Happens to many people.