PDA

View Full Version : TCM acupuncture/pressure and anxiety

foolinthedeck
12-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Hi all,
I'm an occupational therapy technician in wales. I currently work with a lot of people who suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia etc. As my job is OT thats my main course of treatment, but my background is also very much one of kung fu, wing chun, wild goose qigong, yang taiji etc. A client has asked for information on acupuncture and i wondered if anyone can suggest any online resources, meridians, etc to help??

My client has already identified taiji as something he would like to and i would agree from my own experience and also from the Occupational perspective.

Also, does anyone know of or have links to information on how mental health is dealt with in china both traditionally and today? is the western model prevalent or is it based on TCM??

many thanks.

vikinggoddess
12-17-2003, 07:13 AM
I would suggest they try 5 needle protocol, the standard ear acupuncture treatment.

Pakmei
12-24-2003, 04:30 AM
Hi,

A good reference point is to go to http://www.acuxo.com or http://www.acupunctureguide.com

Both are really good sites with regards to points, meridians and point functions.

With reference to your question on mental health and how it si dealt with using TCM. It is very dependant on how the signs and symptoms manifest themselves.

Generally speaking mental / Shen disturbance comes under one of the syndromes called phlegm misting the mind and phlegm obstructing the channels.

Basically meaning that not enough pure Qi and blood is rising to the head to nourish the brain, etc. all that means is that there is a deficiency somewhere in the fuctions of the zang fu which has lead to an apparent heat symptoms which rises to the head and causes an obstruction by developing into phlegm.

vikinggoddess
12-24-2003, 06:21 AM
A simple Heart Yin deficiency can lead to symptoms you mentioned: anxiety, panic attacks, and agoraphobia. When I think of Phlegm involved in a mental illness, I tend to picture the people you see on the street with disturbed speach (raving and talking nonsense to themselves and others). Signs and symptoms of Heart Yin deficiency also include insomnia, palpitations, vivid dreaming, red tipped tongue. Also there is often a history of coffee drinking, amphetamine or crack use in past, recent drug use, etc. Symptoms will be worse if there is also Kidney Yin deficiency. For this type of anxiety/ panic attack I have had success giving a strong decoction of Wu Wei Zi/ Schizandra berry. There is also a patent formula for insomnia called Schizandra Dreams. I always prefer to use the raw herb, because boiled raw herbs are much stronger than pills or teas.

aelward
12-25-2003, 01:02 PM
Anxiety can be differentiated in many different ways-- people here have mentioned phlegm and heart yin deficiency. Another possibility is heart blood deficiency, sometimes accompanied with Spleen Qi deficiency (i.e, Spleen is too weak to produce blood). Signs include anxiety, palpitations, fatigue, and insomnia among others.