PDA

View Full Version : anxiety and taiji

foolinthedeck
12-15-2003, 10:57 AM
Hi all,
I'm an occupational therapy technician in wales. I currently work with a lot of people who suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia etc. As my job is OT thats my main course of treatment, but my background is also very much one of kung fu, wing chun, wild goose qigong, yang taiji etc. A client has asked for information on acupuncture and i wondered if anyone can suggest any online resources, meridians, etc to help??

My client has already identified taiji as something he would like to and i would agree from my own experience and also from the Occupational perspective.

Also, does anyone know of or have links to information on how mental health is dealt with in china both traditionally and today? is the western model prevalent or is it based on TCM??

many thanks.

Repulsive Monkey
12-16-2003, 03:47 AM
This is dependaent on where the source of Anxiety is. If its a Shen disturbance or Heart Blood deficiency then Qi Gong and relaxation for the chest area would be beneficial, however if it is a Kidney Deficiency then all good solid Taiji and Qi gong to strengthen lower back areas would be beneficial too, but one must be careful to recognise what the source of anxiety is.
Basically though Heart and Kidney are good places to start, however to a lesser degree pensivness and over worry can be influenced by the Spleen being a little out.

backbreaker
12-16-2003, 12:31 PM
I remember hearing that cheng man ching said something about taiji and changing someone's disposition which he said would require demonstration by someone wiser than him.

backbreaker
12-16-2003, 03:00 PM
http://www.clearwisdom.net