PDA

View Full Version : Weapons Sparring

Vash
12-15-2003, 05:46 PM
How many here who train weapons, traditional or no, do any type of free sparring with them.

My school, we don't. We have two-man drills, but not free-sparring.

After I get my heal on, I intend to suggest this also.

Kristoffer
12-16-2003, 02:28 AM
very limited free sparring with weapons.

yenhoi
12-16-2003, 09:14 AM
I play stick(s) all the time.

Lots of "reality" scenarios with the dagger also.

:confused:

Kristoffer
12-16-2003, 09:48 AM
What kind of protection gear do u use yen?

CaptinPickAxe
12-16-2003, 01:00 PM
Me and Meatshake wanted to start Bo sparring, but the ****bird broke his bo yesterday.

Starchaser107
12-16-2003, 07:46 PM
might i recommend flexible rattan staffs.

yenhoi
12-16-2003, 08:43 PM
Padded headgear with cage mask, gloves, forarm guard, elbow and knee pads (dont help much..) padded sticks.

A couple of times have geared up motorcross style and gone at it with the bamboo.

Looking into rubber sticks, seen them and grappled with them a couple times but never been whacked.

:eek:

yenhoi
12-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Also... limited targets... progressive sparring.

Begginiers start with only being allowed to hit the other guys stick, hand, and knee.

:eek:

Kempo Guy
12-17-2003, 09:15 AM
I have done full-contact stick fighting (during my JKD days)...

These days I train in Kenjutsu (Iaijutsu) which is primarily kata type training, but once a month we suit up in Bogu (Kendo armor) and use fukuro shinai (different from a Kendo shinai) and do free sparring. It's an interesting exercise... as long as it doesn't evolve into Kendo (not that I have anything against Kendo). We try to use the principles and techniques used in the kata.

KG

taijiquan_student
12-21-2003, 06:53 PM
We practice free swordplay. We use historically weighted (2 lb.) wooden (oak) jian, and go at it. The only rule is nothing goes to the head. Other than that, anything is fair game, including fists and feet and sarcasm. Some people wear gloves to protect the knuckles and fingers, and some wear eye goggles. I don't have a pair of goggles yet. I have gloves but always forget to bring them to class.

Bruises aplenty. If you think having a fist or kick flying at you is scary, try a 2 lb. hunk of oak.

Judge Pen
12-22-2003, 08:32 AM
I've done some limited weapon free sparring, but not near enough. Mainly staff and shortstick sparring. Some knife v. open hand sparring, too.

chen zhen
12-22-2003, 08:44 AM
in my old JKD club, we did freesparring with kali sticks, from day one. only protection was a ski-glove on your weapon vielding hand, and shin guards. that was only for Lago-Mano training though. full-contact weapons sparring was done with full body armor.

we also did knife sparring in the same fashion, done with hard plastic knifes. coz rubber knifes gives u false confidence, plastic knifes will punish u if youre hit, giving you a better sense of reality.

Ming Yue
01-13-2004, 02:00 PM
We start sparring empty hand, but later will move into single and double stick, as well as staff sparring.

weapons vs open hand
single vs single, double vs double, staff vs staff....
single vs staff
single vs double
double vs staff

like that.
:)

apoweyn
01-21-2004, 12:03 PM
Single stick, double stick, stick and dagger, long staff, knife... I think that's it.

And there are basically two routes to go in terms of equipment. Pad the person or pad the weapon.

In my school, we wore the typical FMA body armour. Metal grill helmet (similar to kendo helmet), padded vest, lacrosse gloves, forearm pads, knee pads, etc. (Not quite ready for the Dog Brothers.)

Now, I'm collected padded weapons so I can spar with less specialized armour. Regular sparring gear plus padded weapons should (I hope) do the trick.

MC Taiji Hips
01-21-2004, 01:25 PM
I'm planning to start sparring with rubber knives that have lipstick on the blade. I also would like to start sparring with kali sticks...I have 'em, but just kinda neglected them.

Ironwind
01-23-2004, 11:28 PM
I have gone full contact with my master in bo training with only a cup and head gear.
It gave me the sense to move faster, after all of the sweet-painful bouts I endured.

rogue
01-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Just started doing it again so... A couple of airsoft guns, safe-t glasses, rubber, wood and sharkee knives, pratice folders, padded and unpadded sticks and rubber sticks. It's sparring more from a self defense stand point so it's agressor/defender, but sometimes the defender has the better weapon and all you have to do is get it deployed.:)

Vash
02-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by rogue
It's sparring more from a self defense stand point so it's agressor/defender, but sometimes the defender has the better weapon and all you have to do is get it deployed.:)

Good post/ideas.

Do you train any gun disarms at all?

rogue
02-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Guns are popular here so we do them. IMO a must do is to go to the range and learn to shoot. I've worked with people who didn't know what a real gun felt or sounded like or what it could do. The non-shooters tended to work doing the disarm more and not working on clearing.

phantom
02-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Rogue, what is a good brand of safe-t glasses for weapons sparring? Also, where can I buy them? Thanks in advance.

rogue
02-12-2004, 08:43 PM
We have paint ball gear, shooting glasses but they're kind of expensive.

Try these (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0951256771.1076643323@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceiadckjjemdekcgelceffdfgidgkk.0&MID=9876)

If using airsoft always make sure all parties in the room have on at least safe-t glasses. Also always test the goggles by firing into them to make sure the lenses can take the impact. Of course you shouldn't be wearing them during the test.

phantom
02-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately, I was unable to find the glasses or goggles on the Home Depot site. However, thanks for the rest of your suggestions, Rogue. Peace.

rogue
02-19-2004, 08:45 PM
Just be phantom and test out any gear you buy to make sure it'll work.

phantom
02-25-2004, 08:39 AM
I am sorry if I annoyed you, Rogue. Thanks again and have a nice day.

rogue
02-26-2004, 06:52 PM
******, it should have read,

Just be careful phantom and test out any gear you buy to make sure it'll work.

Sorry for the misunderstanding phantom.:)

Losttrak
02-27-2004, 12:14 AM
Knives, sticks, and frequent firearm training here.

GeneChing
04-22-2015, 04:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXPtThjQac

They even have their own YouTube channel: PLWR - Polska Liga Walk Rycerskich (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC71jEGotDvaMmQ-BsACmmTQ)

boxerbilly
04-22-2015, 04:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXPtThjQac

They even have their own YouTube channel: PLWR - Polska Liga Walk Rycerskich (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC71jEGotDvaMmQ-BsACmmTQ)

Gene that stuff is great. I got to meet a guy 10+ years back that was a MAist that dropped it all to pursue that stuff in the video. He makes a living , or did doing that. Had horses and everything. He came into a MA shop and I was in there buying discounted vhs. He had his helmet. We got to talking and cool guy. I asked what it feels like to be hit wearing that stuff. He said, you want to put on the helmet and I'll hit you with a staff. I said sure. He grabbed a oak staff and cracked me a good one right on top of my head. I felt nothing. Just moved me a little. He hit me so hard he blew a chunk of wood about the size or a quarter and maybe as deep or a bit more out of the staff.

He told me all about the misbeliefs people had about weapons and amour. Very educational hour he spent with me.

boxerbilly
04-22-2015, 04:21 PM
I have gone full contact with my master in bo training with only a cup and head gear.
It gave me the sense to move faster, after all of the sweet-painful bouts I endured.

That's nut's. I hope you guys keep hand hits out of it. All I can see is mangled fingers and blood and exposed bone. YIKES!

@PLUGO
04-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Armored Knights in the ring. Sure, why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvNzQ1fWURE

@PLUGO
04-23-2015, 11:57 AM
Ukolov vs Plaksin: not sure who I was rooting for . . . the guy who's shield displayed Argent, a lion rampant, gules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRysne3UdKs

boxerbilly
04-23-2015, 02:50 PM
That was nice. My hats off to those guys. For those interested here is their youtube page.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBXJWLWdtJVcJFPW_fLXO3A/videos

sanjuro_ronin
04-24-2015, 07:42 AM
Never been a fan of overly padded "weapons sparing".
Still, looks like fun.

boxerbilly
04-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Never been a fan of overly padded "weapons sparing".
Still, looks like fun.

I'm not so sure this is overpadding but closer to original. I have no idea the armor they wore there or most places traditionally. But what it does show is that those sword attacks, even if sharp, do not work well and generally not at all against armor. This is how it was explained to me. It goes to grapple. A guy goes down and ideally you insert the blade in between a gap. Very hard to do while standing. The guy I spoke to said, war hammers rule against armor. Those can penetrate the steel. Of course you can't spar/fight with those.

sanjuro_ronin
04-27-2015, 04:59 AM
I'm not so sure this is overpadding but closer to original. I have no idea the armor they wore there or most places traditionally. But what it does show is that those sword attacks, even if sharp, do not work well and generally not at all against armor. This is how it was explained to me. It goes to grapple. A guy goes down and ideally you insert the blade in between a gap. Very hard to do while standing. The guy I spoke to said, war hammers rule against armor. Those can penetrate the steel. Of course you can't spar/fight with those.

The techniques that actually work against a armoured opponent are the ones that are prohibited in these sparring competitions.
Muck like kendo.

These things are good fun and they built stamina and fighting spirit and all that, but they never should be viewed as being anything other than that.

Jimbo
04-27-2015, 08:14 AM
In CLF, we sparred with staffs made of padded PVC. Unfortunately (or fortunately), this resulted in a wide, thick, heavier staff. The disadvantage is that it made the grip much more difficult; the advantage is that a real staff is much easier to maneuver. We never wore helmets or other protective equipment. Even though the staves were padded, you could still get hurt. I particularly hated when my fingers got hit when someone slid their staff up mine to disarm me; that was also a favorite tactic of mine. Though often it's best to avoid doing it to develop other skills, too. Because there was still risk, you could be aggressive at times, but never just recklessly whale away at each other like some people do in padded weapons sparring scenarios.