PDA

View Full Version : Flying sidekick!

Twinsen
08-12-2000, 07:48 AM
Greetings my friends,

In street fighting do you use flying kick? Because flying kick sounds like just in the movies!

thanks,

------------------
~Guybrush~

Tru-MA
08-12-2000, 10:38 PM
I've never ever used a flying kick in a real life street fight, and I don't really think I ever will, because it's not really a practical thing for me. I just use standing techniques but I still do plan for flying kick attacks. If I ever really use a flying side kick in a fight it would only be as a finishing move. As for kicks like the jumping front kick, I would probably use that to distract and surprise my opponent. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Snoopy
08-13-2000, 02:06 AM
Flying High Kicks are great in movies but in street fighting - NAH!!

Just think of someone starting to spin around with a kick and their back is facing you - what do you do? Push him or her and down they go! Or you can grab their flying leg or kick their standing leg out!!

Snoopy

------------------
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Twinsen
08-13-2000, 04:43 AM
Greetings my friends,

Well first of all did you learn or practice flying kick? I had practice all the kicks but I haven't try flying kick. And how do I jump high while launching the flying kick?

thanks,

------------------
~Guybrush~

LeviathanX
08-13-2000, 06:13 PM
We do the flying side kick in Tang Soo Do and I believe also in Tae Kwon Do. Basically, you make a running start towards your target and jump off the leg you are NOT going to kick with. Then you fly through the air (several feet to several meters depending on your ability) and make contact with your target. The leg you jumped off of should be pulled up close to your body after you are in the air.

As far as practical application... I believe it has very little, but not zero. It probably isn't the greatest knock-out kick (back-spinning kick is much more effective), but it can definitely be used to meet with an opponent who is running towards you.

Robinf
08-13-2000, 07:19 PM
Nice description of how to do a flying sidekick, LeviathanX. Twinsen, concentrate on getting your knees to your chest, this will ensure that your feet get up to where they need to be (your knees won't actually reach your chest, but that's the kind of pull and focus you need to get your feet up).

I've never been in a street fight, so I really can't say whether or not it would work.

There are many reasons for practicing a flying sidekick that go beyond practicality--the main reason I practice is that with each birthday (I'm 27 now), as long as I can still fly over my friends and break that 1 foot square board with my foot at the end, I feel young.

Twinsen
08-13-2000, 09:11 PM
Greetings my friends,

Where should I learn this technique? I live in an apartment and it doesn't have many space. And I am afraid that I would fly off the balcony! Well, how do I practice to jump high?

thanks,

------------------
~Guybrush~

LeviathanX
08-13-2000, 10:36 PM
Flying side kick doesn't necessarily mean you have to literally run in the beginning of the technique (that is just to get your forward momemtum that you will need to fly through the air), one to two steps should be fine.

If you're in a confined space why not go outside and practice in a park or in a parking lot?

To jump high the most important thing you need to remember is to bring your knees up as high as you can towards your chest like Robinf pointed out.

However, to be able to gain new heights in jumping I would suggest squats, calve raises, and any other weight-lifting/exercise routines that require your calves and thighs.

When attempting flying side kick, try to keep your upper body as straight as possible. If you lean back or too far forward you will land the kick off-balanced.

[This message has been edited by LeviathanX (edited 08-14-2000).]

kungfuswack
08-14-2000, 02:46 AM
You guys are crazy. I'm not an expert, but from my streetfighting experience,(2 fights) the only things that work in the chaotic, tense atmosphere of a street fight are boxing, especially the speed and constant movement, fast, powerfull low line kicks, such as savate style groin kicks or stomach kicks, mui-thai style knees and elbows, headbutting, biting and eyegouging, especially in the clinch or on the ground. Don't dilude yourself, if your going to be in a streetfight, you WILL be terrified, shaking, and feel ill. You need simple tools that you can use without thought, that have become part of who you are, not silly flying anything. Besides, if someone your fighting is far enough away from you for you to pull off a flying kick, run. Who needs to show off and get beat so bad your face looks like a crushed tomato because you wanted to try a technique. Fighting sucks.

totallyfrozen
08-15-2000, 12:33 PM
I agree with Kung's post

My 2 cents, if you are far enough away to launch a flying kick...you are far enough away to start running away.
Flying kicks are for sports like Tae Kwon Do...not real fighting.
If you can do a flying kick...you can run away.

totallyfrozen
08-15-2000, 12:45 PM
I have a friend who has studied Tang Soo Do for many years and is a 3rd degree black belt. I'm not really familiar with the style but was told that it's the same style Chuck Norris practices.
My friend told me that he's never studied any martial arts for sport...only for defense.
Well, no offense...but it sounds to me like Tang Soo Do is a sport just like Tae Kwon Do.
I have never studied Tae Kwon Do and never will...and now, I guess, the same goes for Tang Soo Do. I don't study martial arts for sport or for religion...only to know how to fight fast and effectively.
Tang Soo Do sounds like a sport.

Thanks for the warning. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Robinf
08-15-2000, 06:51 PM
Totallyfrozen,
Actually, flying kicks are for many reasons in training, not just sport.

They are for conditioning and focus, for something fresh for the mind and body to do (rather than getting stale with all the same techniques), for the spirit and yin yang that live within taekwondo and tangsoodo and that live within the practitioner.

Taekwondo and Tangsoodo have much to offer in the way of self-defense, but if flying through the air doesn't interest you, then these arts aren't for you.

It's good that you know what you're looking for and you're honest with yourself. But, be careful when making comments about the efficacy of an art that you don't study. You might end up stepping in something sticky and smelly.

jimmy23
08-15-2000, 07:44 PM
I actually knocked myself out with a flying kick!
Many years ago,I was sparring a female andhad been practicing a lot of flying side kicks.I was 15 years old and weighed 140,it was easy to get good height.Well i threw the kick,and the lady was shocked and froze up.As i was throwing it,i saw that i would nail her and managed to redirect the kick,throwing it to the side of her head.
well ,my foot got caught on her shoulder and I fell,wacking my head and going to sleep for a little while.
So yes,in my experience,the flying side kick is great in combat if you need to knock yourself out real quick /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Robinf
08-15-2000, 07:58 PM
jimmy,
lol.

LeviathanX
08-16-2000, 09:56 PM
I've trained in Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan for 14 years and I'm a 3rd Degree Black Belt preparing for my 4th Degree Black Belt test. I can unequivocally tell you that Tang Soo Do is VERY different from Tae Kwon Do in its structure and attitude. The techniques are almost identical, but where Tae Kwon Do focuses on the sport applications of the martial art, Tang Soo Do focuses on the art (internally and externally) itself.

In addition to the kicks and punches of Tae Kwon Do, we learn the grappling moves and ground-fighting of Hap Ki Do.

Trust me, Tang Soo Do is a very worthy martial art. In fact, it is 60% Soo Bahk Do (ancient martial art of Korea), 30% Northern Chinese, and 10% Southern Chinese. So it really has its roots in many of the other martial arts.

Robinf
08-16-2000, 11:10 PM
LevianthanX,

Glad to see you're in such a good school. Taekwondo also has a good focus on internal and external, there is just a second component of sport. If a practitioner finds a good taekwondo school, then he/she will learn the internal, external, and the sport. In schools that are lacking, which are all too common, sport tends to be the focus as it is much flashier and it's also where all the trophies are won to show off in the lobby.

Robin

Black Jack
08-17-2000, 09:32 PM
I dont know why anybody would ever want to incorporate this move into their list of kicks...unless of course that person is into having techinques that have no mobility, balance and above all practical use in a real life encounter.

In actual street combat its commonsense to keep your kicks low line and below the waist...those fancy flying kicks are the best way bar none for a fighter to get his head bashed in.

Not just that but why use a tool that takes so much time to keep in good form. A elbow, knee or headbutt strike will always be their when you need it...those moves are safe bets and when it comes to streetfighting the safe bet is where everybody wants to be.

Robinf
08-17-2000, 10:43 PM
Not everything has to be practical. There are conditioning and other reasons for practicing a flying sidekick and other ariel techniques. For some practitioners, martial arts isn't just about fighting, it's about us.

Highlander
08-17-2000, 11:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robinf:
martial arts isn't just about fighting, it's about us.[/quote]

Very well said. http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/cool.gif

Black Jack
08-18-2000, 02:09 AM
The topic was in reference to the street applications of the flying side kick and as so should be treated as a joke techinque by serious self-defense and street fighting students.

Thats great if you want to practice the kick as a workout tool but to any body who teaches this nonsense as a serious reaction to a dangerous street situation is not doing their students any favors.

I have seen a number of numb nut TKD instructors teach this move to anybody who will pay the monthly rate and it is never stated to these students that their is a massive difference to fancy Dojo fighting and a confrontation in real life.

totallyfrozen
08-18-2000, 03:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robinf:
Totallyfrozen,
Actually, flying kicks are for many reasons in training, not just sport.

They are for conditioning and focus, for something fresh for the mind and body to do (rather than getting stale with all the same techniques)...[/quote]

Good point. That makes sense.

But I still wouldn't try it in a fight, myself (if I knew how to do one); and therefore, I am not interested in spending the time to learn it.
However, I do see your point about using it for a fresh exercise to break up monotony.
------------------
"There is only ONE martial art"

[This message has been edited by totallyfrozen (edited 08-18-2000).]

totallyfrozen
08-18-2000, 03:44 AM
In my limited experience, most streetfights have taken place within arms reach (grappling distance).
As far as a flying kick in combat, I guess I would say...
Let the other guy do one and you can punch him in the nuts when he gets to ya! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
"There is only ONE martial art"

El_CLap
08-24-2000, 08:08 PM
Correct me if I am wrong. I was told by a friend that Tae Kwon Do was originally created because the villagers in Korea were being attacked by bandits on horseback. Thus the flying kicks. I have NO idea if this is true or not. Robin?

Robinf
08-24-2000, 08:41 PM
El_Clap,

I have heard legends similar to that one about the creation of the flying sidekick.

Personally, since I wasn't at the creation of any of the arts or techniques, I can't say with any certainty as to why they started, but I can surmise as to why it's currently practiced. Even then, I could be totally wrong--I can only give my educated opinion.

Robin

8stepsifu
08-24-2000, 10:25 PM
Mantis does a kind of flying sidekick. It's actually more like your running at the person and do a reverse leg kick to set up for the higher kick. Its like your running over them.
It's usually seen as poor technique to actually fly through the air like an olympic long jumper to kick someone. Sure it will be powerfull, but it might be tempting for the defender to simply take a step to the left and go home. Most aerial kicks in mantis are jumping kicks. You can have a jumping stepping kick (duel in fists of legend between jet li's buddy and the outside kung fu master), Has anyone seen those flying sidekicks where they use the bottom leg to kick? I just saw it in a chinese comic book and I was wondering if anybody actually did this? Peace out.

jimmy23
08-25-2000, 01:09 AM
My understanding of the origen of it is the horse factor and also that Korea is rather mountainous,thus putting a premium on long range and jumping attacks.Ive never been there,so I cant say.

Robinf
08-25-2000, 08:17 AM
8stepsifu,

I've seen double flying side kick where the side kick is made with both feet in the same direction at the same time, but I haven't seen the bottom one used independently. That would be neat.

Robin

8stepsifu
08-25-2000, 09:32 AM
Jet Li did in RMD to our friend Russel Wong (vanishing son), but it was most unconvincing. I think its more of an entertainment kung fu move. How could you do a flying sk with your bottom side oblique muscles contrated. It's distorted and I dont even think you could get up in the air with your hips cocked down.

zeo999
08-28-2000, 12:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Twinsen:
Greetings my friends,

In street fighting do you use flying kick? Because flying kick sounds like just in the movies!

thanks,

[/quote]

hi twinsen,
but i think u can use the side kick when u r trapped and there is no way to run i have used it a couple of times!
zeo999

yamato_damashii
08-28-2000, 04:08 PM
I DOUBT that a peasant (from any country) is going to take on an armed bandit on horsback with a kick. I DO know, however, that the jump spinning kick was used by the Hwarang to unhorse samurai (there's even a legend about the son of a Korean king who dies valiantly, slaying an invading Japanese general with this exact move--before being shot with about fifty arrows).
I certainly would not use a flying side kick in a street fight; mass combat is another matter. Also, I have used a jumping front kick as a "first strike"--the guy never saw it coming.

------------------
Jason C. Diederich
Pax Nobiscum

Tru-MA
08-28-2000, 08:26 PM
Something that I forgot to mention the last time that I posted here. I forgot to mention that Choy Li Fut features a flying side kick...but it's not the flashiest one in the world even though it can cause pain to an opponent's leg. It's aimed at the leg and the kicker would land in a drop stance. It's one cool kick in my opinion, and I've never seen it used before I took up Choy Li Fut. I've kept that jump kick and it actually broke some shins.

8stepsifu
09-01-2000, 07:23 AM
In 8 Step we call that drop shin kick. There's more to it than meets the eye. You CLF guys probably know what I'm talking about.