PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Temple

craw
12-16-2003, 10:34 AM
I’m not trying to start an argument or a flame war here. I just want to know if any one has studied this system and what they think of it. While searching the forums I though some one stated that there are some political hurdles to get over, but it was unclear as to what they meant. There is a school near me and I’m contemplating starting with them. I have been to the school and have watched a couple of classes which seem well structured. I have also noted that when they teach they mention and demonstrate the real application (not just flowers fists and embroider kicks) of their movements. Any input would be great. Like I said I don’t want to start a huge debate about this system so PM’s or e-mails would be fine.

Craw.

FIRE HAWK
12-16-2003, 06:18 PM
If the school is run by Sifu Richard Gambou it is a good school Richard Gambou is a good Sifu .

CrippledAvenger
12-16-2003, 06:42 PM
Are you talking about Wilber Rimes' southern praying mantis school, per chance?

Jook Lum
12-16-2003, 07:46 PM
Hello Craw! As with others on here i am also curious as
to what / who`s school you are wondering about in Chicago
before i give any opinion on it.

Since each branch or teacher have differences in their ways it will help if you can give more info.

Thanks
JL

craw
12-17-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Jook Lum
Hello Craw! As with others on here i am also curious as
to what / who`s school you are wondering about in Chicago
before i give any opinion on it.

Since each branch or teacher have differences in their ways it will help if you can give more info.

Thanks
JL

Thanks for responding. The school is actually in Algonquin and I think the teacher is Sifu Richard Gambou. I had a real bad experiance back in 86 with CMQ/OYD (or what ever they go by now) and do not want to be taken again.

Thanks again.

Craw.

Dale Dugas
12-17-2003, 07:15 AM
Craw,

I have talked with Sifu Richard Gamboa in the past and know he is well versed in South Mantis along with training in other similar styles. You will not be burned like you did with those quacks with the inane Korean Kung fu for money.

Give it a try. I would be there if I didnt live in Boston.

Peace,

Dale Dugas

craw
12-17-2003, 03:52 PM
dale thanks for the thumbs up. I will definetly give it a go at the beginning of the year. I found out that they do not make you sign a contract so I can at least try it for a month and see how it goes. Thanks again.

craw.

Fu-Pow
12-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Is the style Jook Lum Tang Lang?

Bamboo Temple Southern Praying Mantis?

If so, who is Richard Gamboa's Sifu? Just curious.

Mantella
12-17-2003, 05:32 PM
Gamboa is a joke man. Take my word for it!

He's a punk! Tinsel teeth sissy!

Falcor
12-17-2003, 06:17 PM
Who did Richard Gamboa study with?

Jook Lum
12-17-2003, 10:23 PM
Hello again Craw! I dont know much about Richard Gamboa
so i cant say one way or another,but as far as the mighty Chung
Moo Quan or whatever it calls itself now, it is a sad chop suey
style that cheats people out of their money.

I am glad that you have seen the light concerning CMQ and
wish you luck with your spm training, spm is a excellent
style as long as you learn it from a true teacher.

JL

LionDancer
12-22-2003, 11:08 PM
Spoken like a true master!

FIRE HAWK
12-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Sifu Richard Gamboa studied with Sifu Sammy Wong of Mainland China Jook Lum Southern Mantis , as far as I know Sammy Wong learned from Wong Yok Kong a student of Cheung Yel Jung , Wong Yok Kong learned Jook Lum Southern Mantis and Chu Gar Southern Mantis .

Jim Roselando
12-26-2003, 10:02 AM
Hello Craw,

I have met Richard Gamboa. He is a nice guy. He learned from a few sources and a few arts. His current sifu is Roger Hagood. We were both in Alabama training with Hagood sifu a few years ago.

Your best approach should be to investigate the different schools teaching the art you wish to learn, find the most skilled sifu who is also skilled at teaching and make a decision. Never take anyones word for it. Best of luck with you search.

FireHawk,

Sifu Richard Gamboa studied with Sifu Sammy Wong of Mainland China Jook Lum Southern Mantis , as far as I know Sammy Wong learned from Wong Yok Kong a student of Cheung Yel Jung , Wong Yok Kong learned Jook Lum Southern Mantis and Chu Gar Southern Mantis .

It is not known for sure that Sammy Wong learned from Chung Yel Chong student, Wong Yuk Gong and Wong Yuk Gong was not a Chu Gar practitioner. Wong's family still lives in China. They preserve Jook Lum.

Regards,