PDA

View Full Version : I saw grappling work in a multi opponent fight...

Tigerstyle
10-14-2001, 08:16 PM
...in a movie :p . Does that mean it works for real ;) ? Just wanted to waste some time because it seems a little slow in here today.

Anyhoo, I saw "Training Day" Saturday (pretty good movie, BTW) and there was this one scene where Ethan Hawke was attacked by two guys. He slaps a rear choke on one guy and brings him to the ground. While he was there he took a good stomping from the other guy, but held the choke until the first guy went out. After that, he caught the other guys leg and did a sort of single leg/trip take down, went to full mount and pounded the dude unconscious. My girlfriend called me a geek when I explained to her what techniques he was using :D .

The fight was in a back alley on concrete with multiple opponents and the "grappler" won even though he was kicked/stomped while ground fighting. Would that be the movie-grappling equivalent of Kung Fu guys/gals flying around on wires? ;)

Universal Stance
10-14-2001, 08:32 PM
<blockquote>________________________________________
The fight was in a back alley on concrete with multiple opponents and the "grappler" won even though he was kicked/stomped while ground fighting. Would that be the movie-grappling equivalent of Kung Fu guys/gals flying around on wires? ;)
_______________________________________</blockquote>

Very funny!!!

I take a Universal Stance regarding the Martial Arts.

"**** it's cold out here to be practicing."

Silumkid
10-14-2001, 09:04 PM
Maybe Ethan (who couldn't beat himself up if he wanted to) did some iron body training. Oh wait, that's a "phony kung-fu" thing. Never mind.

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

Tigerstyle
10-15-2001, 01:15 AM
How dare you use this MA forum to bash the name of Ethan Hawke!

Moderator please delete the previous post and lock this thread so that the awesome grappling ability of Mr. Hawke cannot be soiled further by this Playa Hata!

Grahf1
10-15-2001, 01:49 AM
Those two guys were kind of high. That's why he was able to take them out.

Silumkid
10-15-2001, 01:50 AM
ALL RIGHT! I admit it....I'm just mad that that weasel faced freak got Uma Thurman, OK? Fine, so now it's out... :(

I thought I could keep my secret forever...

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

toddbringewatt
10-15-2001, 12:15 PM
If the director says it works, it works!

"Bruce Leroy. That's who!"

old jong
10-15-2001, 04:02 PM
Come on,everybody on this forum knows that even if you kill a grappler,he will not let go! You would need a phaser gun to desintegrate him!...At least! :eek:

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

Jaguar Wong
10-15-2001, 05:20 PM
uh oh. It sounds like we're gonna group all grapplers into a totally different group...like zombies.

"You have to shoot a grappler in the head to defeat him. If you hit the body, he'll still get the choke."

or

"Grapplers are afraid of fire! Quick everyone grab a torch and use your stand up skills!"

Just as long as we don't hear some stuff like
"The only good grappler is a DEAD grappler."

This has been a PSA of the Jaguar Wong educational institute

BTW, I'm still Tigerstyle. :p
ETHAN HAWKE RULES!!! WHOOOOO!

Jaguar Wong

jun_erh
10-16-2001, 01:12 AM
I saw this video "Real Fights" where one guy did a sort of gracie hold type thing (I'm not a BJJ guy) where he wrapped his legs around the guy trying to attack him on the street! It looked very uncomfortable but appeared to be working, though it was a single opponent. I did a post about it in "related arts" a few days ago if you want to read it. :D

Watchman
10-16-2001, 01:23 AM
I thought the only way to defeat the Guard&trade; was by a stake through the heart.

I also heard that grapplers have a harder time sinking on submissions when you're wearing garlic. The cross being a ward is just a myth though.

Jaguar Wong
10-16-2001, 01:48 AM
You're totally wrong Watchman. That's only with vampires. Grapplers are more like zombies. Slow moving, but when they get a hold of you, they don't let go...unless you tap. :) I don't know where you got your information, but it's gonna get you killed if you go into a match against a grappler wearing just your hunter fight shorts, and a garlic necklace. You have to have a torch, or a gun to shoot them in the head before attempting to KO them.

Jaguar Wong

SevenStar
10-16-2001, 02:25 AM
Do silver bullets work?

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Jaguar Wong
10-16-2001, 05:02 PM
Only against Muay Thai guys, and MMA guys with a heavy Muay Thai background (like Pedro Rizzo, or Bas Rutten).

Jaguar Wong