PDA

View Full Version : re dan inostanto

russellsherry
12-17-2003, 08:48 PM
hi guys i will be training with danny inostanto on sunday looking forwad to it peace russellsherry

Ernie
12-18-2003, 08:45 AM
russell
you will have a blast , dan is an incredable resource and if your lucky he will show you the more ballistic back yard h,k,e, stuff
but it's rare these days , his teaching approach has mellowed alot over the last 10/15 years or so ,

but you can always try and ask him how and what he used to teach back in the day when he had vunak as a student . you might get lucky:D

Jim Roselando
12-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Hello,

Dan is pretty talented but knowing 500 different styles can often have a reverse effect on you when the heat turns on. I tend to think the better stuff was a bit before Vunak but thats just my opinion.

Russell! I am sure you will have fun! Dan was always cool to check out. I just tend to dis-agree with his views.

See ya,

russellsherry
12-18-2003, 05:10 PM
hi earnie and jim merry christmas, earnie i did a semminar 20 years ago with guro danny , when william cheung bourght, him out, how is this for a weid story, that day my friend and teacher david foggie was training their at the time he came up to train nomal class , saw these guys with sticks and did not know what was happening i was training with my close friend victorian kung fu champion carlo bassi saw dave their the weird thing was john chow droped goru dantes name their it was the first time i knew arnis ,was in melbourne. then dave becoume"S roland top pupial after ten years trainining i ring dave becuase sifu steven chan came for semminars and i started training with dave and goru dantes so i always class dan as my teacher in a way becuase he led me to like arnis and real wing chun peace russellsherry

Ernie
12-18-2003, 05:27 PM
jim
Dan is pretty talented but knowing 500 different styles can often have a reverse effect on you when the heat turns on. I tend to think the better stuff was a bit before Vunak but thats just my opinion.
jim now i mean no disrespect at all but until you have gloved up and actually moved around with dan or vu
behind the scenes , you really wont see what there capable of , and there is no confusion what so ever in any of there actions ,
i tend to reserve my oppinions about another persons approach until i have actually gone down that path on a personal level with that person .
i just put this out there since i have spent time with both men and found them to be extemely skilled and efficient , not lacking in anything power ,speed, timing , sensitivity , hand to hand standing kicking or on the ground and god forbid you toss ing weapons .
and there greatest attribute is they are constant students with '' trully'' open minds , willing to give a honest chance to any one or style . this seems to be lacking in most martial artist

but we are all intitled to our own observations , but since i have been in the presence of both these men and seen how giving and skilled they are i felt obligated to drop my 2 cents ,
again no disrespect intended
:D

russell
merry christmas
and i'm jealous have fun . ask dan about kina mutai

Jim Roselando
12-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Hello Ernie,

jim now i mean no disrespect at all but until you have gloved up and actually moved around with dan or vu
behind the scenes , you really wont see what there capable of , and there is no confusion what so ever in any of there actions ,
i tend to reserve my oppinions about another persons approach until i have actually gone down that path on a personal level with that person .

Ok. Understand your point and can say; Been there! I was a student/friend of Del Pollard for a fair ammount of time. Cas Magda introduced me to him and also supplied us with our Thai Pads etc.. I actually stopped WC for a period when I explored the JKD/Jun Fan/Kali/etc. stuff. I visited Dan on a few occassion and would visit Vunak on more than one occassion. I even travelled to Cal. and took privates with Chris Kent when he was teaching out of Hsing Yi club in S. Monica. Del. could hit really really hard.

i just put this out there since i have spent time with both men and found them to be extemely skilled and efficient , not lacking in anything power ,speed, timing , sensitivity , hand to hand standing kicking or on the ground and god forbid you toss ing weapons .

Yes. Well rounded martialists in many aspects of martial art but that is not what I am talking about. Hey. Lets face it. They do that for a living so all they have to do is train and teach. Work hard enough at anything, have a good ammount of talent and you can use anything just about.

and there greatest attribute is they are constant students with '' trully'' open minds , willing to give a honest chance to any one or style . this seems to be lacking in most martial artist

Certainly one must have an open mind.

but we are all intitled to our own observations , but since i have been in the presence of both these men and seen how giving and skilled they are i felt obligated to drop my 2 cents ,
again no disrespect intended

Nobody said they are not talented. I just find excess excess and excess to go against the theory of martial art and what their founder believed in. Martial art teaches us how to make use of our body. Martial art teaches us how to recieve force from someone elses body. Martial art (some) teaches us how to adapt naturally in different distances etc.. These are basic things that martial art should help us with. Now, the human body can only issue and recieve force so many ways. The human body can deal with different distances and tools in so many ways. Each art has their way of teaching the practitioner how to do these things. Studying and mastering and art should be first. How does one know what good other approaches are if they dont have a basic understanding first. Once that is done they can now study how others manifest and cultivate to find the most refined way. What happened in JKD, and most old school people from that group will admit in private but not in public, is that Dan created all this concepts stuff and essentially went on his own path. Prior to that it was more about the essentials of each range and doing them so well and so powerfull that they were a natural part of you. That was more of what the Jun Fan was. Simplicity and natural expression in each range. Not doing a few moves from this art and few moves from that art and basing it all around boxing footwork. Try to get one of those guys to admit that in public! Fat chance. Also, and this is from more than one source, when Dan had any nerves or doubt about a fight do you know what he would rely on? The good old fashion Jik Chung Choi as they called it. He would just go in and blast. Not the E/K/H etc.. That was more of the Filipino way that came along as the next generation. After that was the Indo arts, grapping, etc.. Del, often told me that Dan did a lot of martial art because he was doing martial art for so long he would like to explore other stuff. He loves martial art. Del also made it clear to me that his core for real fighting would always be the simple Jun Fan stuff.

Dan is a super nice guy. Super nice! Del, Chris, Cas, Paul, etc. are also all nice guys. They trained hard and developed well. But! Just because people can fight it does not mean its the essence of body usage the way I look at it. Example: Knowing 10 styles and ten different ways to bridge or kick or punch with the same similar components is only going to cludder your brain IMO. It is just repitition of what is already known or being done. Kind of like knowing more than one WC style. Its cool to study how others preserve/practice but its just repitition! History shows that the best martial artist of all time were mainly the traditionalists or the occassion (and it was occassional) inovator which usually came from a heavy traditional background. So, while its good to explore and study many methods I believe one should find the art that fits them best, expresses the whole body power as simple as possible and covers the different situations. Some arts might not cover the ground. So, certainly knowledge of the ground should be studied during ones martial edification but in the end I think knowing 10 styles is only something that has become a modern practice and is not good but that is just my opinion. It does not mean I am correct.

Thanks for the chat!

Regards,

Ernie
12-19-2003, 09:39 AM
no worries jim
it's funny though it was never presented to me as 10 different styles of this or that , just using different training appoaches to develop specfic attributes and understanding what tools work at what range and then custom fitting it to your natural ability and charactor .

dan does teach seprate and complete systems though but that's what people want , business is business

but i have worked his version of the blast and hke with him and vu
and that is the go to tool your right .
but if you lack atheletic ability the stuff will never work for you , that's why it's not for everyone people just don't got the honesty to find what there weak at and put the work into improving it so they stay lazy .

it does require a sick kind of obsession and commitment to make it gel but when it's flowing it's a incredible sight .
i have only seen three very proficient jkd stylist dan and vu are 2 of them , you wouldn't know the third .

now i also have stayed with wing chun though i often work out with jkd people there just better over all street fighters and there training mehtods are more honest .

i also don't care much if some thing is traditional or not i steal from everywhere :D

but if i had not been exposed to those guys i wouldn't be half as good as i am , the gave me the mindset to base things off my body and to question everything as well as the courage to test things out side of the wing chun bubble

so when i came back had a broader range of experience and understanding of wing chun in a street enviroment .

so even if i never was one of there students or a jkd guy i still give them there prop's for inspiration and looking to myself for the answers noit looking outside of myself at any particular art for the'' way''

nice chatting with you as well , just sounds like we had very different experiences .

rogue
12-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Vu is awesome!!! The man owns any range any time. The guy has also distilled trapping into something usable.

planetwc
12-19-2003, 07:16 PM
what is H/K/E ?

Hunt

Kill

Eat?

Ernie
12-19-2003, 07:23 PM
head butt / knees / elbows

rogue
12-19-2003, 09:49 PM
If you guys aren't into HKE you are really missing out. Check out Paul Vunaks RAT system. It's like fighting on steroids without the bad side effects!

Vash
12-20-2003, 07:34 PM
ttt

russellsherry
12-21-2003, 10:59 PM
hi guys i ha a great time at guru dans semminar, yesterday.
dan coveerd,, the jkd kickboxing phase, doublestick knife knife from a steated postion also , i thought his chi sau was of a very high, standed i realy liked the blade work, it ws amazinig, dan told a few stories as well , it was a really good day i feeling pretty sore at the moment but i am glad i went. peace rusellsherry

Ernie
12-22-2003, 09:08 AM
russell
i knew you would have fun:)
the guy moves great for being over 60:D