PDA

View Full Version : WC Instructors in South Florida-Miami area?

rindge
12-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Hello all, after lurking for several months I am finally posting a question. Does anybody know of any WC schools (or maybe I should say instructors) in the South Florida area. I live in Pembroke Pines - 20-30 minutes from Miami and 30-40 minutes from Ft Lauderdale. I know of the Moy Yat school in Miami and the WC school in Pembroke Pines/Hollywood - sifu actually doesn't teach much WC anymore.

Does anyone know of any other talented WC teachers down here (besides the schools I just mentioned) who might be interested in training a hard working, pain in the ass (in a good way) student :-) I really want to get back into practicing WC (I am novice at best). If you know of anyone or maybe some new schools that may have recently opened please let me know via a reply or directly on my email at rindge@ix.netcom.com

BTW, this is one very informative site!

Thanks

Rindge

John Weiland
12-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Rindge,

I know of a couple of Wing Chun schools in Florida taught by teachers I have met. Would be worth the travel time as they're not in Miami, and you are serious about finding good Wing Chun. Some folks have traveled to China to learn Wing Chun, so 100 miles or so shouldn't be too daunting. :)

Florida Wing Chun
2635 S Sanford Ave
Sanford, FL 32773-5273
http://www.floridawingchun.com

Another respectable school, is the Centerline Academy, in the Neptune Beach, FL area: http://www.centerlineacademy.com

I met the latter's sifu, Armando Sainz, last May in Marin, California at Ken Chung's annual Wing Chun camp: http://www.centerlineacademy.com/
Good solid core of basics, very spirited, and a great guy.

Check out their schedules online and contact 'em. My name won't get you noticed, but tell them I'm Ben Der's student and recommended you.

Regards,

hunt1
12-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Go to wingchun.org. There is a good list there of wing chun schools. In your area I have met and crossed hands with John Melillo in Pompano. He is skilled and puts an emphisis on real usage. His wing chun is from Jason Lau and Yip Ching I believe.
In Miami Robert Smith used to teach Moy Yat WC but for the last few years has been a student of Samual Kwok. I have never met him but a students of Sams is always worth checking out.
Andrew Cheung is near you and did at one time teach YKSWC. His classes were known as hard core at least when I met some of his students several years ago.
Good Luck

ntc
12-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by rindge
Does anyone know of any other talented WC teachers down here (besides the schools I just mentioned) who might be interested in training a hard working, pain in the ass (in a good way) student :-) I really want to get back into practicing WC (I am novice at best). If you know of anyone or maybe some new schools that may have recently opened please let me know via a reply or directly on my email at rindge@ix.netcom.com

What areas of Florida are you open to consideration (city/county)?

rindge
12-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Hunt: I spent a little bit of time in John's school. Your recollection of his lineage is correct. If I don't find anything else, I might go back to his school, it is just tough doing an hour each way several days a week after working 8-13 hours a day.

I used to train with Cheung Sifu. His location is ideal, but upon my last visit he wasn't teaching much if any WC. He taught a mix of YM and YKS.

Robert Smith does not actively teach anymore. I am familiar with his senior student who does currently teach.

wingchun.org doesn't have much besides what you mentioned.

Thanks.

Rindge

rindge
12-19-2003, 06:13 PM
NTC: I am open to miami, broward, and for a really good sifu maybe boca or delray beach in palm beach. I am trying to avoid a killer commute on top of what will be a killer work day. Please let me know if you have ideas: rindge@ix.netcom.com

Rindge

ntc
12-19-2003, 06:17 PM
I will keep my eyes out for you. I just came to the Sarasota area, so not too familiar with what is around here yet. But I have your email, and so if I hear of anyone out your area, I will let you know.

martyg
12-20-2003, 03:46 PM

Robert Smith does not actively teach anymore. I am familiar with his senior student who does currently teach.

wingchun.org doesn't have much besides what you mentioned.

Thanks.

Rindge

Rindge, Julio (the person now running Robert's old school) is a great guy. I usually visit down there when I'm visiting family in southern Florida. They've got a nice group going and are currently pushing to re-associate themselve with the Moy family.

ma3j
12-22-2003, 09:16 AM
I know that my Sisuk Leo has a student somewhere in Miami that teaches. (Moy Yat lineage). I could ask to see where he is located if you are interested

rindge
12-22-2003, 02:17 PM
ma3j, please let me know what you can find out. I supsect the teacher is Robert Smith, but please let me know what info your sisuk has.

Thanks

Rindge

ma3j
12-22-2003, 09:29 PM
Nah, I'm pretty sure it's not Robert Smith. I don't think he ever trained under Sisuk Leo Immomura but I will ask my Sifu who the instructor is after Christmas.

martyg
12-23-2003, 12:37 AM
ma3j, please let me know what you can find out. I supsect the teacher is Robert Smith, but please let me know what info your sisuk has.

Thanks

Rindge

No, it's not Robert Smith. Leo has family in Miami and has a student teaching there now for a couple of years. In fact, Leo and his student there did a mini seminar at Julio's school while visiting not to long ago.