PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me Your Tale In Regard To This..

Heruka
12-19-2003, 11:49 PM
Post your experience of someone who did something in your presence that really made you respect or fear them in regard to kung fu or martial ability. I say "in your presence" to limit your tales to something that you actually witnessed rather than posting stories that others have seen or that you may have read about online or elsewhere.

No_Know
12-21-2003, 06:14 AM
~A Shotokan instructor stepping forward then pulling his rear foot to the back of that knee with snap and certainty. I took it as a signal that he knew something--had drilling in his history. I thought it was impressive.~

!At a hearing (of sorts) saw a panel member make a gesture and afterwards asked if she'd taken/takes tai chi~she indicated (with surprise) that she had. !

^A checkout counterperson reached for something and her arm was bent and just her hand/wrist seemed to move/turn. Her fingers were straight but not awkward. I asked if she was a dancer she said that she studies dance...^

&The way some hold their hands that suggests serious classical typing or piano training.&

Realizing that someone you were not really thinking about has at some point in h er/is life devoted hours to a single task or the like or that that person did something completely enough that they use that in h er/is day to day because they are Used to it or (s)he didn't regularly do it that way but got programmed such that this was efficient And comfortable~ might be an indicator of devotion or determination.And that kind of seems scary to me--respected And feared (perhaps).

stimulant
12-21-2003, 02:08 PM
Let me see....here are a few I've seen, not all from kung-fu though....

taking punches to the mindsection, back, ribs etc by 18 people at once

immoveable horse stance

'charging' water with qi so the water is 'fizzy'

kicking with a straight leg (front kick) to their own chin (supreme hip and hamstring flexibility!) at 64 year old

kicking through a baseball bat, and having a baseball bat broken on their shin

headbutting through a plle of tiles

etc etc etc

Chang Style Novice
12-21-2003, 02:08 PM
I saw a guy bring a pan of cooking oil to a boil once with his qi. Then he exploded a chicken with a qi blast and cooked it in the oil. It was the most delicious and qitastic fried chicken ever.

The qi-dumplings? Not so great.

joedoe
12-21-2003, 02:33 PM
Every time my sigung demonstrated something.
Every time my sifu demonstrates something.

Royal Dragon
12-21-2003, 03:14 PM
Watching a friend of mine peform his internal forms. His structure & mechanics are so perfect, it's like watching art in motion. His teacher is even better.

Liokault
12-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Royal Dragon

Watching a friend of mine peform his internal forms. His structure & mechanics are so perfect, it's like watching art in motion. His teacher is even better.

So are we saying that the "perfect" is really just quite good? How can a guy be even more perfect?

The moment that most impressed me in relation to kung fu was watching a friend of mine fight in a san shou match.
He dislocated his shoulder right at the start of the fight but poped it back in. Sadly almost every time he moved it came out again, so he just fought on (against all advice) holding the dislocated arm arm with the good arm. He put in somthing like 20 throws over the next 2 rounds and got aout 17 off clean (i counted a off the vid but it was a while ago) and won easly
The really amazing thing is that he normaly wins his fights with big kicks coming from a TKD back ground and he had only trained with us for about 1.5-2 years.

cerebus
12-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Hmmm. Liokault, where did that match take place? And when? I saw the same thing in Rimini, Italy in '92 (European Golden Dragon Cup). The guy whose shoulder got dislocated had bushy red hair in a ponytail. His coach popped the shoulder back into joint and the guy went on to win the match. I doubt it was the same guy, but whoever it was, it impressed the hell outta me.

Liokault
12-21-2003, 05:44 PM
It was not the same fight as he is a black guy who put his own shoulder back into place (about 10 times....no exageration. I hate to think of the long term damage he did).

The really sad thing is that this guy who can win a fight with throws even though he can not use both arms and whos legs are his main weapons, who has never lost a round of san shou let alone a fight is now lost to CMA and to san Shou due to really petty political ego. He really was very good at san shou and was by far the best (not only in his weight class but of all weight classes)in the country in terms of skill and sheer ability. Sadly now he is punching his was across the UK as a boxer, where he will be respected for the fights he wins (and he is winning ) not the club/teacher he is with.

Royal Dragon
12-21-2003, 06:09 PM
He's really good, but his teacher is refined to the "Ninth degree", so to speak. I spent 5 hours in his school many years ago, and to this day, I have never been more impressed by the skill of Martial artist.

cerebus
12-21-2003, 06:21 PM
Politics in the martial arts sucks!

truewrestler
12-21-2003, 08:15 PM
A teammate of mine did a back flip before practice once and right then and there I realized he was the greatest wrestler I had ever met ...later he slipped in the shower and broke a floor tile with the back of his head

:rolleyes:

Tainan Mantis
12-21-2003, 08:37 PM
My teacher took me to meet his teacher. At the time he was 70.
He allowed me to punch him with all my might in the gut repeatedly.
As I was hitting him he was laughing at me saying,"No power no power, it doesn't hurt!"

This was after having trained 8 years.

Another of my grandteachers watched me practicing with a partner and complained I was doing it all wrong.
"No Power"

He came over and crossed hands with me and repeatedly hit me in the groin and face.
To the face were hard bietch slaps, luckily I saved the groin.
After wards I inquired of his age which was 92.

I later found he was one of the most famous masters of the old generation in Tainan and it was, I felt, an honor to take a slapping from this master before he passed away.