PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks in Oly lifting: Good progress

Ford Prefect
12-22-2003, 08:40 AM
I just took my bodyfat measurements at the two week mark of my olympic lifting routine. Turns out I've gone from 8.3% BF to 6.9% BF losing a total of 2.5 lbs of fat. My weight is still the exact same, so looks like I've gained 2.5 lbs of muscle along with it.

I wouldn't expect such results in muscle gain if I was sticking to my conventional exercises. I think it's just from using muscle groups a lot that usually weren't hit much. My goal at the beginning was just to go from 180-185 lbs in weight and drop from 8.3% BF to 6% in 12 weeks, and it looks like I'm well on my way to exceding those goals.

Ka
12-22-2003, 04:41 PM
Good Value
Good to hear your getting the results you want.I am sort of surpised you haven't tried O Lifts before,Will you be going back to your old routine?
I understand you started this for Power Benefits?

Ford Prefect
12-23-2003, 07:53 AM
I've done the O-lifts before, but I never did a routine that was completely focussed around them. It'd just be something like power cleans in leg day, so nothing really comprehensive.

It's still been such a short time, but I have noticed slight increases in my vertical jumping, shoulder strength, and flexability. The latter be the most pronounced because of all the overhead squatting.

I think I'll do a lot of o-lifting from now on, but I'll also do 8 week mesocycles of bodybuilding type work to allow my nervous system to recover and gain some mass in areas the oly lifts don't hit for injury prevention and body symetry. Once I get used to the full lifts, I'll start mixing in more strongman and calesthenics exercises. I just want to focus on getting everything 100% right now since they are such technical lifts.

Ka
12-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Agreed, a good foundation in O lifts,and breakdowns can only benefit your future strength development and training.Overhead Squats are one of the most underrated, beneficial (in so many ways)excerises I have been introduced to.
Keep us posted with developments.