PDA

View Full Version : Fighting from a wheel chair

Razorblade
08-23-2000, 11:07 AM
I found an amusing ad for a class that teaches self-defense techniques to people in wheelchairs. Just makes me wonder what realistic chances a wheelchair bound person has of fending off some ******* intent on tipping him and over and dragging him across the parking lot. Just assuming you were confined to a wheelchair and found yourself
someone's target what would you do? What could you do? If I didn't have a weapon I'd just yell bloody murder and hope like hell someone comes along to help.

8stepsifu
08-24-2000, 04:43 AM
Rig up the wheelchair like robocop.

LION
08-24-2000, 07:59 PM

[This message has been edited by LION (edited 08-25-2000).]

nospam
08-24-2000, 08:13 PM
Perhaps the add was amusing, but the idea isn't.

I have often thought about teaching a person who is physically challenged. I would not turn this person away. I would not lie to them and tell them they will become feared fighters, but from the study and practise, you will FEAR less and experience aspects of your self that you might otherwise not have thought possible.

I wonder how well a person who still has upper torso and limb movement might do in bjj, for example?

It would be an awesome learning experience for both student and teacher.

totallyfrozen
08-25-2000, 12:46 PM
Scary thought.
I think that if I were in a wheelchair, I would constantly carry a weapon.
Since being chair-bound is a "recognized" handicap, the government makes exceptions for you. I would think that one wouldn't have a problem getting a permit to carry a gun in most places.
Either that or get a nice big dog that's been trained in security and him/her travel everywhere with you.
I don't know what I would do if I had to fight without the use of legs.
That's a scary thought! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
I remember a Vietnam vet who was in a wheelchair. He used to carry a HUGE knife with him...and he knew how to use it.
I suppose a grappling type art of some sort would be appropriate.

------------------
"There is only ONE martial art"

little-elephant
08-27-2000, 06:26 AM
i have been studying martial arts for a few years now and a class mate of mine is in a wheel chair he studies traditional southern hung gar. he has years of training and on a very confident note he could succesfully defend him self, he has combined years of pushing a wheel chair doing iron palm, traping with a brutal sense of toe to toe and chin na combat (and he can break 4 boards w/ palm strike from a chair) so any doubts can be cast astray with proper training and some bruce lee books any one can addapt and intercept the enemy
-the point is to train period so you will be indeed ahead of the avg.

kenpoman
08-27-2000, 07:21 AM
I'm looking around for an article I read about someone in a wheelchair who practiced jujutsu. The guy in the chair was being hassled and the bad guy ended up in a choke hold. This event made the newspaper because the guy in the wheelchair didn't let go...and ended up killing the guy.

lee-JKD
09-03-2000, 08:01 PM
do you know people in wheel chairs are up to 3times stronger than a man because they use there arms so much?