PDA

View Full Version : Rant: STFU

SevenStar
12-23-2003, 01:36 AM
I'm in the gym, 275 on the bench, getting ready to lift, and I hear "ya know, in my heyday, I was benching that. Then I stopped working out for several years, and now I can't lift much". I smile and feign interest, then go back to my lift. It's no big deal. but then I hear someone else say "in my prime, I was a top college ball player and a bouncer at one of the toughtest clubs in fla", followed by "I remember back when I was in the gym all the time..." WHO CARES??!?! I don't give a flying d@mn about what you could supposedly do back then. Why are you talking now instead of doing it? Should we be impressed because of the possibility that you were a powerhouse in your "prime"?

Does anyone else get sick of this?

rant over.

Ford Prefect
12-23-2003, 07:41 AM
The only time I don't get this is when I go to a strong man training center in my area.

The rest of the time it's "You always have the funniest toys" "What does that do?" "What are you training for?"

etc etc

I'm used to it. I always try to amiable though because as the old saying goes, the toes you step on today might be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.

It is annoying though.

Suntzu
12-23-2003, 07:52 AM
i get a kick when people come over and want to to curl eveything.... they are like 'what is this(KB)?'.... they pick it up and do curls..... i have 2 realativelt light dumbbells lying around..... 'that's all you lift with?'... they pick it up and do curls.... i finally put together a sandbag..... 'what do you do with this?'.... they grab the handles and do curls.....

Losttrak
12-23-2003, 08:15 AM
hehe SOo true. The fanatics that are most hilarious to me: Sci-Fi buffs, martial arts freaks, and gym cronies. To observe them is true entertainment.

rubthebuddha
12-23-2003, 09:54 AM
luckily, the last time i worked out in a gym regularly was at a fitness center on my university's campus. it was in a mostly-female dorm, and all but around two of the other people that used it were females, all of varying shapes and fitness levels.

mind you, working out with almost all women was a nice thing for obvious reasons, there was also a distinct lack of posturing i'd always find at normal gyms. after the initial "oooo, hotties in the gym" sentiment faded and we all got used to each other, we all got to beat ourselves up in the gym without worrying about trying to be the coolest. was a rather welcome experience.

Meat Shake
12-23-2003, 09:55 AM
I have a gym at home so I dont have to deal with that crap.
:)

abobo
12-23-2003, 03:20 PM
The rest of the time it's "You always have the funniest toys" "What does that do?"

I have two friends who used to laugh when I would do weighted pullups. One said something like "you're lucky no one takes a picture of that." I should be embarrassed just because they don't do them?

IronFist
12-23-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
I'm in the gym, 275 on the bench,

I wish I could bench 275. I told you guys I was weak.

Originally posted by abobo
I have two friends who used to laugh when I would do weighted pullups. One said something like "you're lucky no one takes a picture of that." I should be embarrassed just because they don't do them?

I'd be like F you bish, why don't you try weighted pullups. :D

I've had friends kinda make fun of me for doing weighted pullups at the school gym before, but it was all in good fun. It was kinda funny.

Vash
12-24-2003, 10:29 PM
Some of us remember when we weren't so gimped the fug up that we could LOOK at doing some of the stuff y'all doin'! :eek: :D

Seriously, though. The "I'm the Sh!t" thing has always irked me. I have performance anxiety (or something) when it comes to most things, so, when I lifted at school, I was throwing a very small stack of iron. Max bench at school: 145. Home: 180.
This was in the 10th grade, so all these guys on the football/weight teams were always impressed that I benched what they could curl.

Thankfully, I'm in college now, so everyone's much more mature :rolleyes: I plan on doing much of my kata practice, and probably a bit of my footwork drills, on campus, and will probably be forced to use our weight training facilities. Before my chest injury, actually it was in February, I maxed out with 260lbs on bench at a 145lbs body weight. Still, for the 8th graders at my old High School, that was warmup weight before the 3x3's. So I know I'm gonna be catching some flack.

Merry Christmas, mofos!

IronFist
12-25-2003, 12:52 AM
Holy f.uck, you have 8th graders benching 260 @ 145lbs???

Vash
12-25-2003, 08:02 AM
yep. And there was one kid, he was just around 5', about 220lbs, working on squat with 6 45lbs plates on each side. For reps.

Apparently, my high school has one of the best weight programs in the state.

IronFist
12-25-2003, 01:16 PM
Wtf? I feel like even more of a pvssy now.

yep. And there was one kid, he was just around 5', about 220lbs, working on squat with 6 45lbs plates on each side. For reps.

5' and 220lbs? Um... bf%? Was he doing full range squats?

I'm older than that kid and I'm no where near 6 plates on each side. I don't even think I could unrack 6 plates on each side. That's 585lbs.

He's probably one of those guys who could squat more on his first day than I could after 2 years.

Vash
12-25-2003, 04:18 PM
HIs BF was somewhere around 12-14% I'd guess. He was cut up, but not amazingly so. His muscle mass, though, was just unreal.

Vash
12-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Well, none of the coaches taught to go past parallel.

Back when I could squat, the mandate was to unrack the weight, walk out beyond the squat rack, and do your set, then return it to the rack. I don't think anyone during that time hit over 450.

These kids today, they got awesome squat racks, buckets to sit down on during squats, and a computer program that sets up some amazing gains.

Oh, yeah, the group that contained all them little kids, they done went 15-0 for the season. Arkansas state champions, division AA.
Not all that skillful, but again, the weight program is just awesome.

SevenStar
12-26-2003, 07:49 PM
you went to school with a bunch of roid babies...

Mr Punch
12-26-2003, 08:37 PM
To me a bench is something you sit on. Mind you, in my prime I could sit on some pretty heavy ones.

Actually I don't plan to reach my prime until I'm about 40. Partly this is because, now I'm training as much as ever, I'm heavier and fitter than ever at nearly 32. And partly because in the 'prime' of my earlier twenties I was skinny and pasty. Now I've tanned, and lemme tell you, all that tannin has pretty much doubled my bodyweight.

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
I always try to amiable though because as the old saying goes, the toes you step on today might be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow. Man, that worries me! The old people in your area have too much aluminium in the soil... wtf are they saying! They have toes attached to their asses!? And you're kissing them?! I dunno where you come from but I'm ****ing never going there!

Vash
12-26-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
you went to school with a bunch of roid babies...

Some of 'em, yeah. Mostly, they were of the corn-fed, I-Ate-a-Babie variety. And the ones my size, well, they weren't my height. And they didn't stay small for long.

Junction City has one of the best weight programs in the state, any division, Junior High, High, and Collegiate programs included.

I'm gonna hafta get in touch with one of my coahces when I get back to my heavy-volume cycles.

abobo
02-23-2004, 10:56 PM
I went to the gym with the same dynamic duo mentioned above. These days they are both gym gurus in the Men's Health sense of the word.

Their workout consisted of bench press / two man rows pyramids with the occasional chest bounce and flared elbows. From there it was unintentional cheat curls done as fast as possible up and down. They finished it off with hundred rep ab sets.

They do their thing, and I do mine.

Toby
02-23-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Vash
yep. And there was one kid, he was just around 5', about 220lbs, working on squat with 6 45lbs plates on each side. For reps. He used to be 6' before he started squatting.

Being a typical KFO sceptic, I'd like to see some of those lifts. Not that I don't believe you, but an 8th grader doing 260lb bp would be a sight to behold. More than most people at my old gym.

Viper555
02-24-2004, 04:43 AM
There's this one guy at my highschool(hes a senior) and he can bench 415(or it may have been 450). Maybe back in the eigth grade he could bench 260?

IronFist
02-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by inic
Some jerk and his pimp

lol :D

Vash
02-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by inic

and those #'s you guys posted are insane for high school kids. I didnt touch a weight till last few months of my senior year. I just did pushups, running, etc.

Yeah, those numbers are incredible, but I think they'll only improve with time, thanks to the advances that have been made in the field. Hopefully we can one day help those opposed to strength training understand that it is nothing but beneficial to any athelete, from football players to karate afficianados to kung fu adepts.

And to the gym rats who fugging hog the stations so's they can chat about everything not associated with throwing iron, SHUT THE FUG UP. When I get back into training, I'm not going to have the patience for the stupid mofo's of the gym. Arggh!

Toby
02-26-2004, 07:03 PM
All of this is why you guys have to set up your own gyms. No-one else to worry about, just you and your weights. If you do get training partners, you can handpick them and make sure they're serious. Only problem is, there's no-one to appreciate your lifts. I went in after lifting this morning all proud and told my wife "Hey, I did 150kg" and she couldn't care less. The numbers are irrelevant to her.

ElPietro
02-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Don't get too hung up on numbers. Everyone has different form, I could probably come close to doubling my squat poundage if I did the typical ROM that you see in mainstream gyms.

Same with bench, some people only go half way down, others bounce it off their chest, other guys do 10 reps with their spotter curling the bar at the same time and then claim the lift as their own.

Everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt, and even then the poundage you use is only important as a measure of progress. All else is pretty much irrelevant.

Vash
02-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Indeed. As long as you're improving, moving towards your goals, your doing good.