PDA

View Full Version : OT - Fatherdog, 7*, other anime dorxxx

Chang Style Novice
12-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Given that I like the Teen Titans theme song, should I get the whole Puffy AmiYumi album "Nice"?

yenhoi
12-23-2003, 11:46 PM
Yes.

I just watched some facked up movie called Pi: Faith in Chaos or something like that. Its not anime, but the netflix review said it was.

Messed up shat.

Merry Xmas!

:eek:

FatherDog
12-24-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by yenhoi
Yes.

I just watched some facked up movie called Pi: Faith in Chaos or something like that. Its not anime, but the netflix review said it was.

Messed up shat.

Merry Xmas!

:eek:

Incidentally, netflix has a pretty crap selection as far as anime is concerned. I'd recommend http://www.greencine.com

Meat Shake
12-24-2003, 10:02 AM
Jesus...
if I hear the teen titans themesong one more time, Im going to shoot myself in the foot.
Seriously.
Ive got a gun, and its pointed at my foot.
Dont test me.
;)

Chang Style Novice
12-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Well, I've only heard it the once, but it sounded pretty great for a goofball pastiche of 60's rock cliches filtered through a jap-pop sensibility to me.

Meat Shake
12-24-2003, 12:34 PM
BANG!

:(

WanderingMonk
12-24-2003, 03:02 PM
CSN,

You pushed him too far, now he is probably missing a foot. :) Or he is such a bad shot and missed it completely.

wm

Chang Style Novice
12-24-2003, 06:11 PM
It was a waterpistol - dude's got damp toes at worst.

SevenStar
12-24-2003, 06:41 PM
If you like that song, you will probably also enjoy "Freckles", the opening theme song for rurouni kenshin. I've never heard the nice album, so I can't reccomend it...

SevenStar
12-24-2003, 06:43 PM
have any of you heard any of the cowboy bebop soundtracks? I've heard part of "vitaminless" and part of the one that's got "the real folk blues" on it. There are like 7 soundtrack cds...

anton
12-24-2003, 07:05 PM
aha! seeing as there are other anime fans here, I can now post what I wanted to without hesitation...

Ghost in the Shell 2 is comin out next year March

trailer:
http://www.innocence-movie.jp/information/trailer/tokuho1.html

WanderingMonk
12-24-2003, 07:24 PM
water pistol? I didn't know water pistol make a "Bang" sound. I must be too old.

I think the best music track for anime is Red Rain (It is the sixth theme from the second track of Rurouni Kenshin OST 2). They played that BGM right before Kenshin and Shishio face-off in the episode 56. A Duel With an Extreme Moment.

The two mix stuff from Gundam wing was good too. "white reflection" is just cool.

wm

Chang Style Novice
12-24-2003, 07:40 PM
Would you believe a water pistol in one hand and a cap gun in the other?

anton
12-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Would you believe a water pistol in one hand and a cap gun in the other?

I find zat hard to belief Mr Smart... :rolleyes: :D

SevenStar
12-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by WanderingMonk
water pistol? I didn't know water pistol make a "Bang" sound. I must be too old.

Technology nowadays is amazing, no?

SanSoo Student
12-24-2003, 09:44 PM
NARUTO ROCKS! :p

SevenStar
12-24-2003, 09:55 PM
I'm listening to "Through the Night" (from outlaw star) as I'm typing this. I've always liked the ending themes from all three of the fatal fury movies. I can't remember the name of the first one, but the second was "keep on calling" and the third was "oh angel" There's a catchy track on the DBZ super remix cd called "perfum 18"

SevenStar
12-24-2003, 09:57 PM
Oh yeah, tech TV's anime unleashed is showing boogiepop phantom. I thought that was a cool coincidence since I mentioned it earlier in this thread.

FatherDog
12-24-2003, 11:31 PM
Oh, and the best anime music is anything by Yoko Kanno.

Yes, anything.

SevenStar
12-25-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by FatherDog
Oh, and the best anime music is anything by Yoko Kanno.

Yes, anything.

A resounding he11 yes to that.

Chang Style Novice
12-25-2003, 09:14 AM
Sevenstar - PM inbox!

Vash
12-25-2003, 09:35 AM
Outlaw Star kicked @$$.

I'm rather fond of the Big O, second season, right now.

Favorite, though, has gotta be a tossup between Dragonball Z and Kenshin. :cool:

Loved Fatal Fury: Legend of the Hungry Wolf (or whatever one had Krauser) and the Movie. The first one sucked monkey ballz.

Vash
12-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Oh, yeah, can't forget about Trigun.

:o

WanderingMonk
12-25-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Vash
Oh, yeah, can't forget about Trigun.

:o
what? Trigun? Best to be avoided. Too nihilistic /existentialistic for my taste.

wm

Chang Style Novice
12-25-2003, 08:57 PM
"Too nihilistic /existentialistic for my taste. "

Sorry WM - with an attitude like this, I cannot accept any of your recommendations.

Vash
12-25-2003, 10:08 PM
Nihilistic? In what respect? Aside from the Apoliptic planet-scape and utter hopelesness, I mean.

WanderingMonk
12-26-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Vash
Nihilistic? In what respect? Aside from the Apoliptic planet-scape and utter hopelesness, I mean.

How about Vash Stempede's brother? His entire purpose of existence is to destroy everything and make Vash's life a living hell. There was no reasoning behind it. It is madness of the worst type.

wm

Meat Shake
12-26-2003, 08:50 AM
Madness of the worste type is what makes anime great. Just look at akira.
For the most part, I cant stand anime music. However... Cowboy bebop is on point with the jazz, I must say.

apoweyn
12-26-2003, 08:53 AM
Any opinions on Neon Genesis Evangelion? I got it for Christmas from my brother in law. I've watched a fair amount of anime, some of which I really dug (e.g., Devilman and Guyver). But I wouldn't consider myself a fan. And certainly not an authority.

So Neon Genesis Evangelion... Thoughts?

Meat Shake
12-26-2003, 08:54 AM
Heard good things, never watched it.

Vash
12-26-2003, 10:27 AM
NGE was good. Certainly not the best, but it didn't suck.

FatherDog
12-26-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn
Any opinions on Neon Genesis Evangelion? I got it for Christmas from my brother in law. I've watched a fair amount of anime, some of which I really dug (e.g., Devilman and Guyver). But I wouldn't consider myself a fan. And certainly not an authority.

So Neon Genesis Evangelion... Thoughts?

Neon Genesis Evangelion is one of the most popular television series in history in Japan, and one of the most popular imported anime series in America, so they're doin' something right.

It's a very complex series that draws on gnostic imagery and themes. It's got a lot going on in it, but the real core of it is the development of the psyches of the main characters, all of whom are very badly damaged via childhood trauma (as is revealed piecemeal throughout the series). Because of this, it can be difficult to really feel empathy for the characters, and disliking them tends to be the most common reason among people who don't like the series.

It's something that I recommend people rent or borrow, because you really have to watch the entire series and the movies to get it all (they ran out of money during the last few episodes of the tv series, so the ending is profoundly unsatisfying if you don't watch the movies that were made afterwards, after the series became popular enough to fund them) and that's a sizeable cash outlay for something you might not like.

If you do like anime and intend to watch more of it, though, it's something you'll want to check out, because it's been so influential on so many other series and is so frequently parodied/homaged.

Did your brother in law get you the series, or the movies, or the series and movies?

apoweyn
12-28-2003, 05:00 PM
Gnosticism, eh? Okay, now I am interested. Cheers Fatherdog.

Er, I don't know. He got me the boxed set. I'll have to check and see whether it's series, movies, or both.

It's about eight DVDs, I think. That sound like enough to cover both?

FatherDog
12-28-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn
Gnosticism, eh? Okay, now I am interested. Cheers Fatherdog.

Er, I don't know. He got me the boxed set. I'll have to check and see whether it's series, movies, or both.

It's about eight DVDs, I think. That sound like enough to cover both?

Nope; the 8 dvd box set is just the series.

Okay, let me phrase this carefully to avoid giving undue spoilers - At the end of the tv series, due to events taking place, one of the main characters basically snaps and descends into schizophrenia. The final two episodes are basically that person piecing their shattered psyche back together - as such they consist of a lot of voiceovers, textual stuff, carefully edited clips, etc, because they are taking place entirely within said character's head. This is because by the final two episodes, Gainax was flat broke and a gnat's wing away from bankruptcy - this was literally the only way they could end the series at all.

After the series had made a bit of money on release, they made Evangelion: Death and Rebirth (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000068OIY/qid=1072658990/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-5234005-7982415?v=glance&s=dvd) This is a 90 minute movie, where the first half of it is basically a recap of the series, and the second half is a redux of the last two episodes, this time intercut with scenes that show what is happening in reality while the character in question is emerging from their own mind.

Finally, after the groundswell of popular support actually made Eva a profitable concern again, Anno was able to make The End Of Evangelion (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000068OJ1/qid=1072658990/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-5234005-7982415?v=glance&s=dvd), another full length movie which continues on after Death and Rebirth and gives a complete and satisfying (well, to me, at least - some people don't like it, but some people don't like anything) end and conclusion to the series.

It's possible to skip Death and Rebirth and just go to End of Eva, but you really do have to watch End if you want a satisfying conclusion to the series.

apoweyn
12-29-2003, 08:49 AM
Well okay. I'll check it out. (Besides, I'm not the sort to return or exchange gifts anyway, so I've got this thing one way or another.)

But first, I've got to burn through seasons 1 and 2 of CSI. Aw yeah!

Chang Style Novice
12-29-2003, 10:14 AM
Dear HBO - please put "The Wire" on DVD. Much as I love Sopranos, I think this is even better.

Love,
CSN (not a tv network)

Back to animation, I've heard about a french feature called "The Triplets of Belleview" that's sposeta be pretty great. Anybody know any more than that?

Shaolinlueb
12-29-2003, 10:38 AM
eh just get all of love hina

:D :o

FatherDog
12-29-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Back to animation, I've heard about a french feature called "The Triplets of Belleview" that's sposeta be pretty great. Anybody know any more than that?

Haven't seen it, but some friends of mine have. It's very stylized, a sort of French period piece, and it's not subtitled because it's about three sentences away from being a silent film. Apparently it's very well done, but relies heavily on the culture of the Tour De France of the time period it takes place in, which non-frenchies might not fully get.

Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
eh just get all of love hina

:D :o

I own all of Love Hina and enjoyed it immensely, but I am, embarassingly enough, the tired cliched sort of cynic that uses his world-weary bitterness as a mask for the fact that he's just a disappointed romantic, so a well-written love story is pretty easy to sucker me in with. Your mileage may vary.