PDA

View Full Version : Who is Ray " bradda" Cooper?

backbreaker
12-24-2003, 02:03 AM
I was watching an old Superbrawl today. It was Superbrawl 3 from Hawaii . The lightweight division tournament was won by this guy called Ray "bradda " Cooper. Pat miletich was also in the lightweight tournament and he won his first fight by decision but didn't fight in the final so the guy who lost to Militich fought Cooper and got destroyed fairly quickly. I thought he had a cool grappling style and he also had hard punches. Has Anyone seen Superbrawl 3? Does Ray Cooper still fight? What are his fighting styles?

X_plosion
12-25-2003, 09:18 AM
When was this Superbrawl held?

The Ray Cooper I am familiar with is an Afro-American who was a talented competitor during the "Blood & Guts" era of Karate.

I read that this Mr. Cooper started out in Karate and later learned Taiji, Hsing-I and Bagua. He was one of the first Americans to intentionally "customize" his teaching approach to suit his student's needs.

Known as Mfundishi Tolo Na'a, after converting to Islam, he continues to teach martial arts in Chicago.

An article that mentions him:

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/archives/blackbelt/1965/feb65/2ndworldkarate/2ndworldkarate.html

I'm not sure if this is the person you're asking about, but I placed this here in case it helps you.

backbreaker
12-25-2003, 02:52 PM
I think it was held in 1997 , and the guy was 23 years old. It was in Hawaii , And I think this guy was Hawain. I think they said he trained at a gym called " Jesus is Lord". I was just wondering if this guy's still around or still fights.

X_plosion
12-26-2003, 11:42 PM
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Guild/5750/C/cooper.html

www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/ displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=1171

also, you might want to try the search terms: Ray Cooper Superbrawl on Google. Seems to produce many links.

Hoping you'll find what you're looking for. Good luck.

backbreaker
12-26-2003, 11:47 PM
That's the guy who won superbrawl 3 lightweight division. Thanks, his record seems okay but not too great