PDA

View Full Version : Question about shadow boxing

IronFist
12-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Yeah, so when you're throwing your punches and stuff, are you just going through the motions or are you throwing them hard?

They say that when you're hitting something, you should be relaxed until the moment of impact. So do you do this same thing when shadow boxing? Are you relaxed and then at the moment of would-be impact do you tighten up? Or are you relaxed the whole time?

I ask cuz if I stay relaxed the whole time I can shadow box a whole lot longer than if I tense up at the end.

I have my idea of which way would be better, but I want to know which way is actually better.

SanSoo Student
12-27-2003, 09:18 PM
When I shadowbox, I tense up in the end...and I usually re-enact the parts that went wrong in my last spar. The problem of tensing up at the last moment is usually I get too tense throughout the motion of movement.

cerebus
12-27-2003, 09:18 PM
Relax. And concentrate on retracting the fist faster than it goes out (helps to develop punching speed). And never let your elbows hyperextend/jam (I've seen guys actually doing that and saying that "full extension" increases reach and power! Not! It WILL however destroy your elbow joints).

IronFist
12-27-2003, 09:38 PM
Oooooh... two conflicting answers :D

I've been tensing up for an instant at the end of the movement just cuz that's what I'm used to doing when I hit my dummy. I figure if I'm going to do that in a fight why not do it when I practice, too?

Yay, or nay?

cerebus
12-27-2003, 10:07 PM
Well...just from my own experience (5 years as an amateur boxer) you want to remain relaxed so as to deliver the fastest, hardest combinations possible. One of the training exercises we used to do was to stand with both feet parallel, facing the heavy bag (not in a fighting stance) and begin punching the bag at a spot directly in front of your nose, left, right, left, right, straight punches only for 3 min. straight. then take a 30 second break & do another 3 min. then 30 sec. break and a final round of 3 min. You don't start out punching hard, just steady. By the 3rd round most peoples "punching muscles" are no longer working and they must use their body (not their arm & shoulder muscles) to propel their fists forward. The arms are now like cooked spaghetti and the trainer is yelling "C'mon! Hit the bag! Harder!" and there is no way to use any tension at all when doing so. Besides being an incredible endurance exercise, this will also teach you how to deliver powerful punches with relaxation. $0.02 :D

No_Know
12-27-2003, 10:44 PM
Treat it like it were real. Whatever you would like to do explore that in the shadowbox(ing). Keep in mind that the punch in air that is tensed (even at the end) is likely to feel differently when connecting. Good developmernt when not connecting. Some might get ****y who do not well factor in the crunch of contact and reverberation.

Both have their purpose. Have your style then practice or train.

Shooter
12-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Cerebus is correct.

Shadow-boxing serves a number of different purposes depending on what you're working on.

IronFist
12-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by cerebus
By the 3rd round most peoples "punching muscles" are no longer working and they must use their body (not their arm & shoulder muscles) to propel their fists forward. The arms are now like cooked spaghetti and the trainer is yelling "C'mon! Hit the bag! Harder!" and there is no way to use any tension at all when doing so. Besides being an incredible endurance exercise, this will also teach you how to deliver powerful punches with relaxation. $0.02 :D

I may try that. Sounds interesting.

So after their "punching muscles" are tired, they are forced to use proper mechanics to deliver the blows, right? Are you allowed to start using waist rotation and stuff at this point?

cerebus
12-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Heh, heh, oooooh yeah! In fact, your arms simply cannot travel out from your shoulders at this point without using the waist. Also I forgot to mention that this excercise should be done while wearing 16 oz. sparring gloves (not bag gloves). The increase in power you'll receive after a month or two of this training is really incredible! Good luck! ;)

IronFist
12-28-2003, 09:11 PM
If only I had a heavybag...

Maybe I can try it on my dummy or something.

cerebus
12-28-2003, 09:35 PM
I would actually reccomend using something with some "give" and movement to it. If you have a kicking shield that a patner can hold for you, that would probably work.

SanSoo Student
12-28-2003, 09:44 PM
16 oz for more than 3 rounds, thats a workout.

cerebus
12-28-2003, 10:06 PM
That it is! After a couple months of such training you have the speed of Bruce Lee when you take the gloves off. 'Course 16 oz. is the standard for amateur boxing so we pretty much HAD to be able to go AT LEAST that long.

SevenStar
12-28-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by cerebus
Well...just from my own experience (5 years as an amateur boxer) you want to remain relaxed so as to deliver the fastest, hardest combinations possible. One of the training exercises we used to do was to stand with both feet parallel, facing the heavy bag (not in a fighting stance) and begin punching the bag at a spot directly in front of your nose, left, right, left, right, straight punches only for 3 min. straight. then take a 30 second break & do another 3 min. then 30 sec. break and a final round of 3 min. You don't start out punching hard, just steady. By the 3rd round most peoples "punching muscles" are no longer working and they must use their body (not their arm & shoulder muscles) to propel their fists forward. The arms are now like cooked spaghetti and the trainer is yelling "C'mon! Hit the bag! Harder!" and there is no way to use any tension at all when doing so. Besides being an incredible endurance exercise, this will also teach you how to deliver powerful punches with relaxation. $0.02 :D

We do this in MT also.