PDA

View Full Version : orthodox vs southpaw

Ikken Hisatsu
12-28-2003, 12:09 AM
for those of you who do a style with one side of your body forward, i.e. orthodox and southpaw (right foot forward and left foot respectively) what are the pros and cons of each? obvious benefit of having your dominant side further away is that your hits are gonna hurt more because they have more wind up, but then again with your strong side forward, your most powerful weapons are that much closer to the opponent. at the moment I use both to confuse my opponents, but I think choosing one or the other is going ot be a whole lot more effective in the long term.

Keep in mind that I am left handed and kick better with my left foot, so an orthodox stance for me would be a southpaw to everyone else. this of course can only work in my favour, considering everyone I practice against is right handed, and they dont practice with many left handed people. ATM, Im leaning towards an orthodox stance for these reasons, but I just want to see if anyone else has any thoughts

Ikken Hisatsu
12-28-2003, 02:17 AM
ah yes but I dont only grapple with one side of my body, do I. my counters and takedowns usually center on redirecting with the front hand and following through with the other, so again, I feel I would be better suited to an orthodox stance.

and to clarify- nam wah pai is primarily a striking art. While we do groundwork, grappling, throws and takedowns, most of our training goes towards developing reflexes, co ordination, striking power, speed and footwork. I am a better striker than I am a grappler, so to me I think that should be my highest consideration.

LEGEND
12-28-2003, 07:42 AM
It doesn't matter as long as you are comfortable with it. In theory the argument works that your strong side forward may result in a quicker Ko. But it simply doesn't matter since we rarely see INTERCEPTION ability other than the pro boxing scene or if u're sparring a newbie. General rule is to use combinations.

Liokault
12-28-2003, 12:15 PM
I tend to use southpaw as it makes it easy to step into leg grabs and throws.

Pork Chop
01-26-2004, 08:31 AM
Tried a similar thread on the UG kickboxing forum and was met with sarcasm.

Southpaw (right forward) strategy in boxing/kickboxing seems to boil down to a contest over relational positioning; ie don't let the "orthodox" guy get outside your lead leg.