PDA

View Full Version : Training with Videos/Weapons?

Hmmm
12-28-2003, 12:16 PM
I have been out of the martial arts for a long time now, and want to start learning a new style. (Some of my background if it helps: I studied Tae Kwon Do (achieved 1st degree black belt), aikido, and some judo.) The biggest thing I miss is the mental side, not so much the physical side, of practicing. After a bit of research, and a lot of reading in these forums (there is a lot of good stuff in these!) I have decided on Tai Chi, as it seems to be the best for internal arts. I have no real intentions on using the art for self defense, just as a form of mental and stress relief. However, my work schedule prevents me from getting training from any of the local schools, so I have been looking into purchasing a DVD to train at home. While I was searching, I saw that some include forms with weapons, which interests me greatly. My question comes in several parts....

1. Is Tai Chi the best choice for what I am looking for (and if not what would be?)

2. Are the DVDs out there (I have been especially looking at the Chen ones) good enough quality to learn from?

3. If I chose to get one with a weapon (more specifically the broadsword one) would I be able to start there, or do the weapon forms require a previous knowledge?

Thanks in advance for your help!

backbreaker
12-28-2003, 01:34 PM
I don't know for sure , maybe someone who knows more than me will comment . I haven't seen any DVD's myself. Usually you would learn the first empty hand routine before braodsword. The braodsword form is very similar to the emptyhand routine though , almost the same form with the same movements except that you have a broadsword in your hand. It's probably a bit different and I think maybe a shorter form, but I don't know the entire chen style broadsword form just the beginning of it