PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Games

Hmmm
12-28-2003, 01:00 PM
Do you think someone will ever make a realistic-style kung fu (or any other martial art for that matter) game for the PC or PS2? I have not found any yet (if you know of a good one, post it please!) and wish someone would design one. It would be great to have actual fighting styles, weapons, and realistic effects (like if you break a guys arm he cant use it, etc...)

Vash
12-28-2003, 02:55 PM
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance had some decent use of styles. Not the most accurate depiction, I'm sure, but it was better than most.

As for damage realism, I've heard Fist of the Lotus on Xbox has some good limb damage stuff going on.

SanSoo Student
12-28-2003, 09:40 PM
I like Bushido Blade 2, that had some good action sword fighting action.

Kristoffer
12-29-2003, 07:14 AM
Those games aint even NEAR the realism of SHENMUE and SHENMUE 2 (dreamcast/X-box)
You have to train everyday to hone your techs, and there's throws, punches you name it. You can adapt different fighting styles to what fits your taste the best and pick up alot of new moves. All the characters and enviroments are perfect, starts of in Japan and he then goes to Hong Kong and inland China where he picks up some Kung Fu. There's gang fights, hundreds of street fighters that you can challenge, spar with different people, hang out in the dojo, there's even arcades with old sega games innit. CHECK THESE GAMES OUT! NOW!

There is no other game that let you play as a martial artist like this (of this realism).
www.shenmuedojo.net
read about the games, but ignore the forums. There's only whiny *****es that hang out in their forum and you'll get tired of them quickly.

CaptinPickAxe
12-29-2003, 12:49 PM
X-Box is coming out with Jade Empire. Search for it.

KungFuFighting
12-30-2003, 01:20 PM
anyone know the name of the game coming out where you get to be Jet LI, It was in this months IKF?

Kristoffer
12-30-2003, 02:31 PM
Yea that game sucks
U have to get Shenmue

secondregime
01-05-2004, 11:01 AM
I know there was a jackie chan video game awhile ago, probably for ps one, I dont know how good it was though.

Kristoffer
01-06-2004, 02:48 AM
It was really bad I'm afraid. I think there were a simmillar with Jet Li but I could b wrong. I'm tellin you there aint no good MA games besides Shenmue.

SanSoo Student
01-06-2004, 03:23 AM
That Jet Li video game looks like a normal 3d action/adventure game with martial arts. The black belt magazine doesn't make it anymore appealing.

Try getting a good MA game like Tekken! :D

brothernumber9
01-07-2004, 08:48 AM
yeeearr kung fu is the best kung fu video game ever. Each fighter has a weakness that you have to figure out and exploit. and when you kick buchu in the nuts his eyes bulge out of his head.

Kristoffer
01-07-2004, 08:53 AM
sounds like a ps2 game :D

Vash
01-07-2004, 09:24 AM
when's the ps3 coming out?

Tekken OwNeS ALL!

Chang Style Novice
01-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Tekken sucks more ass than a Beverly Hills liposuctionist.

All hail Virtua Fighter!

MasterKiller
01-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Tekken 2 was the best until Virtua Fighter 4.

@PLUGO
01-07-2004, 11:07 AM
I've been playing... DYNASTY WARRIORS here and there...

it's pretty fun.

Kristoffer
01-07-2004, 02:28 PM
The guys that made Virtua Fighter made Shenmue. The fighting is simmillar. Realistic and complex. Are u gonna check this out now or do I have to ****ing whyne about it for 5-6 pages?
:D

JUST GET IT

Chang Style Novice
01-07-2004, 05:12 PM
I don't even have a game system - I'm going on years-old memories of quarter eaters.

Vash
01-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Get me a shenmue on ps2, an' will talk.

Until then, Tekken owns all over VF.

doug maverick
01-08-2004, 12:18 PM
did everyone forget the greatest fighting game of all time, dead or alive 3 for x box, talk about realism, it's got drunken kung fu and xinyi liuhe chuan(orthodox xing yi). sh!t is hot.

Kristoffer
01-08-2004, 12:43 PM
u have an x-box? what the **** is wrong with you? .....buy Shenmue! :D

doug maverick
01-09-2004, 11:05 AM
i got shenmu2 yesterday thank god i played part 1. but i also got budokai 2(it's for my nephew but i'm "testing" it for him)

SanSoo Student
01-09-2004, 01:30 PM
haha "testing", you won't know how the game is until you beat it :p

Kristoffer
01-10-2004, 02:06 AM
woho! finally someone who's played shenmue around here. The game deserves more attention I think.

take care

CaptinPickAxe
01-10-2004, 04:25 AM
I've played Shenmue I, it was a great game for its time.

Kristoffer
01-10-2004, 04:41 AM
yea definatly. # 2 is even greater I think. More action and fights and such

Souljah
01-10-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by KungFuFighting
anyone know the name of the game coming out where you get to be Jet LI, It was in this months IKF?

Its called "rise to honor".

Personally I think the formula shenmue had as a martial arts game was great - shenmue 1 especially.
The point that you had to put in 'hours' of training at the park to increase your skills in certain techniques brought out the real dedication side of martial arts, and learning techniques from various practitioners was also pretty smart, the QTE reaction system was a pretty good idea.....
I want them to bring back real training, if shenmue 3 ever does come out that is.....:(

Kristoffer
01-10-2004, 11:16 AM
yea the training part of sm1 should have been covered more in #2. AM2 (sega) have said they will have a big announcement this year so they'll probably start doin shenmue 3 within this or next year! It's been way to ****ing long now. :mad:

Chang Style Novice
01-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Lemme get this straight - you have to spend hours drilling techs in this game to get good enough to fight with them, just like in real life?

This sounds like the worst timesuck ever.

David Jamieson
01-10-2004, 06:12 PM
nobody likes soul caliber?????

wtf????

It's only the best fighting game available kids.

yeesh, and some of you actually are still playing virtua fighter???? THat game is like, you know, old! LOL

Cheers * go soul caliber!

Chang Style Novice
01-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Soul Caliber IS Virtua Fighter.

That one chick in the latest Soulcaliber (that I've seen), with the half tonfa/half kama things, though...

What the HELL are those things?!??!

Kristoffer
01-11-2004, 01:41 AM
Soul Calibur 2 is awsome. It's probebly the best beat em up game out there along with VF4. But they are completely different. One is realistic and the other one is ''hey-let's-weild-an-oar-n-shoot-sum-lazer' -kind of game.

Both of those are beat em ups though, I wouldn't call them Martial Art games. Shenmue is a game about a martial artist who have to avenge his fathers murder. It's the greatest game in the world. EVER. You don't have to spend time training in the streets/dojo but if you do then all techs get better and he evolves so to say. There's also scrolls that teach you new moves etc, or you learn from other ppl in the game....

so ... it rules

Souljah
01-11-2004, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Lemme get this straight - you have to spend hours drilling techs in this game to get good enough to fight with them, just like in real life?

This sounds like the worst timesuck ever.

Hey, what would you call the levelling up in any of the final fantasies then? :rolleyes:

yea the training part of sm1 should have been covered more in #2. AM2 (sega) have said they will have a big announcement this year so they'll probably start doin shenmue 3 within this or next year! It's been way to ****ing long now.

Hell yea, yu suzuki is really sh1t scared about taking risks these days, its a shame. Especially since he originally claimed that there would be something like 16 chapters to the series - now they have to compress them even more.....

Chang Style Novice
01-11-2004, 08:39 AM
I have no idea what I'd call that, Souljah - I've never played Final Fantasy.

Kristoffer
01-11-2004, 11:34 AM
Souljah is correct
They scared coz Sega went down to hell though. So they can't spend the big money on it yet. but once things start rollin again they probebly'll start it up.
..I hope

this place usually gets the cents of any new rumours or announcements pretty fast (www.shenmuedojo.net)

Souljah
01-13-2004, 04:54 AM
yea im signed up there too, theyre ok, but they had a few problems with the misinterpretation of the official site a few months back which seems to have lost them a few fans.....:(

Also, has anyone tried the Fung Wan online MMORPG, its based in pugilistic China with clans really making alot more sense, its currently in the beta testing stage and some of the mechanics need to be brushed up as well as a few levelling up and chat bugs i noticed..... overall though not a bad game at all.

CSN, try any of the final fantasies and u'll know what i mean, I dont know if u play alot of games or not but the FF series is definately worth a look.

CaptinPickAxe
01-13-2004, 06:14 AM
You must not forget that Sega Sports still has great sales. Its just the Sonic the Hedgehog(sp?) games that have gone to hell.

I played a game called Live-a-Live for Super Nintendo, and it features a Kung Fu master and a Ninja. Pretty cool game.

CSN, if your gonna play Final Fantasy, I think that 7 is the only one worth the time.

Shaolinlueb
01-15-2004, 10:06 PM
come one ninja turtles in teh arcade and final fight are still the best. :D

GeneChing
08-19-2019, 08:31 AM
ttt for Kung Fu Games (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?27388-Kung-Fu-Games)
Slightly OT for Shaolin Soccer for real (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?57758-Shaolin-Soccer-for-real)

KungFu Kickball Will Be Making Its Way To All Platforms In 2020 (https://www.player.one/kungfu-kickball-will-be-making-its-way-all-platforms-2020-129168)
The team-based fighting game is "easy to learn, but hard to master."
by KENNETH ARAULLO @KENNETHARAULLO
08/16/19

https://cdn.player.one/sites/player.one/files/styles/full_large/public/2019/08/16/kungfu-kickball.png

Blowfish Studios officially announces KungFu Kickball, set to release for the PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC in Q1 2020.
BLOWFISH STUDIOS

An action-packed team-based fighting game will be launching soon for multiple platforms
in Q1 2020. Titled KungFu Kickball, the game was announced by publisher Blowfish Studios (War Tech Fighters, The Deer God) and developer Whalefood Games (mobile game Too Many Snakes).

KungFu Kickball is set in a mystical fantasy world where fantasy sports is all the rage. The sport, which is the lovechild of soccer and kung-fu martial arts, will have players flying through the air whilst unleashing a flurry of punches, kicks, and mystical arts to overpower the other team and smash the ball into their bell. If the bell rings, that counts as a point. The team with the most points when the time runs out will emerge victorious.

Currently, KungFu Kickball has 1v1 and 2v2 online multiplayer matches, which players can either join locally or online, either with friends or randoms. The game presents itself as quite simple, with only three buttons to keep track of; however, the three buttons can be mixed and matched to result in numerous combinations that are definitely hard to pull off and master. Each game will take place on one of six unique stages, and as already seen in its brief announcement trailer, there are three player classes to choose from: the Monk, the Ninja, or the Old Master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsSuBu-wMLo

Gameplay looks very interesting, and very unique, too. The idea behind needing only three buttons to be pressed is quite daunting, given that there should be quite a deep learning curve for games that present themselves as “easy to learn, hard to master.” Still, the game should please those who find themselves drawn to multiplayer games, as the idea behind KungFu Kickball is quite novel and original.

The “sports and martial arts” based fighting game will launch for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC, and Mac by Q1 2020. It will feature support for English, Italian, French, German, French, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, and Simplified Chinese.

For those who are interested and want to see more gameplay for KungFu Kickball, it will be playable at PAX West this year, which runs from August 30 to September 2.