PDA

View Full Version : Any and everyone

Brad Souders
12-29-2003, 09:27 AM
I was thinking of a problem i've had over the years and to this day still seems to bug me. During any type of combat activity i seem to go at the level of the person i'm competing against. I really have with this problem in grappling.

My cousin tells me it may be lack of drilling certain things but to me it seems more of a mental block. I can roll with higher bjj belts and hold my own and then roll with a much weaker white belt and still have to work myself. The big thing is it has alot of mess on the confidence level i have when competing.

And this is not an once and awhile deal. This occurs all the time. I could literally roll with a high blue,low purple and win and ten seconds later roll with a 3 day newbie and have as much trouble.

Troubleshoot it for me ladies and gents the challenge is yours.

Later, Brad

Ray Pina
12-29-2003, 09:41 AM
You might be helping yourself without knowing it.

I don't "dumb" myself down, but when playing with weaker (newer) players, I work on mechanics and making things perfect: is my back straight when absorbing and issuing power; am I using force or technique; ect.

When the guys good who has time to think about it? Just don't let a newbie beat you:D

Shooter
12-29-2003, 12:38 PM
Yo! Brad! :cool:

It sounds like you're operating on a highly intuitive level with others - A cooperative compromise for the sake of interaction rather than a dominance-based motivation. You have nothing to prove and surrender your own selfishness in favor of indulging others. I could be out to lunch on that, but our chats have left me with the impression that you're training the journey rather than focusing on the destination. You're lost and you love it. LOL

Sometimes though, people need to taught a lesson. Stretch those mofos! j/k :D

No_Know
12-29-2003, 02:32 PM
You match to learn not to win. You prefer to try things out and see if you can best them at whatever they throw at you. When they throw junk you follow suit. Short view like a child playing. No sight beyond what with which you are presented.

Do other than take bait. Have patience. Exploit opportunities. Agressive, not greedy.

Arhat of Fury
12-29-2003, 08:55 PM
Maybe when you're rolling with a higher belt and doing well, he has the same problem. Not downing on ya in any way but it may happen.

When fighting a weaker opponent, I find my self more consumed to use technique and work on it,not to win.

When fighting a stronger opponent I go balls out and try to win.
Definately not the right thing to do but it explains some.

Next time your rolling with someone that is weaker, try to imagine they are the strongest person in the class. I'd bet things would be different.

I had the same prob when playing basketball
your only as good as the people you play with, so they say

Brad Souders
12-29-2003, 10:03 PM
Bruce where the you been man. E-mail me sometime at dead_warrior2000@yahoo.com or catch me on aol fullofbsx2

Now back to our scheduled program. One thing i feel may be my problem is my love for this stuff. Sometimes i feel it's better to let the newbies beat on you and get their confidence up instead of tapping them 1000000000 times and them leaving. Then when it comes to go time i can't turn that switch off from helper/training partner to competitor.

Or maybe i just suck
:D

Later, Brad

Oso
12-30-2003, 06:05 AM
Brad,

why do you see it as a problem?

as others have said, it just sounds like you're rolling to learn and help others learn.

eat gunpowder and barbed wire just before competition to help turn the switch on.:)