PDA

View Full Version : MARTIAL ARTISTS.....HELP!!?!?!!

Caleb TkD
09-02-2000, 09:52 AM
Ok. Sorry. I odn't think this question/msg belongs in this forum. But i cannot find ANY forum on the net to help me in my quest /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
It just occured to me that after studying Tea Kwon Do for a year. I don't know what i'm doing. I do not know to get 'GooD' at it. The pattern i use i never incorporate into my sparring. And i see all jet-li/bruce lee movies. I'm still wondering how they stop/hit/block/kick. I have no idea how i am supposed to reach that level by practicing patterns and kicking a pad someone holds for you at your martial arts school. Please if anyone knows the answer or can help me. PLz Do. i don't wanna give up

blacktsun
09-02-2000, 11:51 PM
My advise would be to free spar more, no pads, with moderate contact to start with. Not enough contact to cause real damage, but enough to know you have been hit. This, I have found, is the best way, for me, to improve fighting skills, other than getting into actual fights. If you cannot find anyone at you current school to practice with, then ask around at the other schools in your area. I am not saying quit your current school, per say, just find others from other schools of fighting to practice with. I practice with a 2nd degree black belt in tkd, a former amature muay thai warrior, a free style greco-roman wrestler, and a northern mantis stylist. There are others that I practice with, but these four are the most often to spar with.

------------------
"Do not worry about being known, rather, try to be someone worth knowing."

totallyfrozen
09-03-2000, 05:20 AM
I agree with blackstun. The "no pads" is a pretty good idea too if you keep the contact level below "full" contact. I would; however, recommend that you wear a boxing mouth piece and probably a groin cup.
Getting your mouth all cut up or getting hit in the groin in going to end your sparring match before you have a chance to really learn anything.
Just wear a mouth piece and cup to avoid the "easy to get" injuries.

Good question, by the way. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
"There is only ONE martial art"