PDA

View Full Version : I admit it Ong Bak is pretty cool

Chang Style Novice
12-29-2003, 08:12 PM
It's too bad the guy's kickboxing was so poor, though - it looked to me like he was reverting to kungfu throughout the movie.:rolleyes: :D

Seriously, if he learns to deliver some lines and do some physical comedy, he could be a real heir to Jackie Chan. As it stands, his athleticism and choreographed fighting skills are about all he has going for him. But that's probably enough, based on this flick.

truewrestler
12-29-2003, 09:47 PM
where the h311 did you see this movie? I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it!

Chang Style Novice
12-29-2003, 09:58 PM
Vulcan Video (http://vulcanvideo.com/browse.html) here in Austin has it on both DVD and VHS - I think the VHS is a dub of the DVD. I've seen it for sale on Ebay, too.

truewrestler
12-29-2003, 10:02 PM
cool, yeah lots on ebay.... thanks!

Kristoffer
12-30-2003, 05:16 AM
You 'admit' Ong Bak is pretty cool? ADMIT ?
BOW DOWN AND PRAISE YOU MOVIE SNOB!!

GeneChing
12-30-2003, 11:03 AM
I've heard that there's a HK universal platform DVD available but I haven't been able to locate it so far. All I've heard of is Thai VCDs, no subtitles. HK has to have English subtitles, it's the law (or at least it used to be...)

Abstract
12-30-2003, 12:59 PM
everyone keeps talking about how good it is...i don't want anything dubbed though, that always sounds silly...

if someone finds a link to buy it w/subtitles, post it!;) :D

Kristoffer
12-30-2003, 01:12 PM
I saw it with english subtitles, the producer himself and the Thai ambassador were also there during the screening.

Chang Style Novice
12-30-2003, 06:50 PM
Yeah, it was subbed - the box said "Ong-Bak Thai Warrior" if that helps you track down the version.

I stand by my previous review - real cool for a melodrama/kick flick, but movies get waaaaay better than melodramatic kick flicks.

Oso
12-30-2003, 07:55 PM
grrrr, for a **** hippie town you'd think Asheville would have some really good independent video stores...but, NO...the only thing we have is a goth run place that sukks.

ebay, ebay, ebay...

SanSoo Student
12-30-2003, 08:05 PM
EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE ONG BAK!

The first fight is the best part, one shin kick...thats all you need.
And Everyone was like :eek: :eek: :eek:

Chang Style Novice
12-30-2003, 10:32 PM
I liked the chase scene through the market best. Or maybe the finale. Or maybe the tricycle-cab chase.

Anyway - good thaisploitation!

GeneChing
12-31-2003, 11:33 AM
Anyone with the a subtitled DVD, if I can trouble you to look very carefully at the box and get the licensing and/or distributor info. If it's an HK version, we have a good shot of picking up distribution, but if it's Thai, we don't have any Thai contacts, not yet. PM me with the details if you would be so kind.

Chang Style Novice
12-31-2003, 06:55 PM
I won't get back to the video store 'til Sunday, and no guarantees it'll be in stock, but I'll keep an eye open.

WanderingMonk
12-31-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Kristoffer
I saw it with english subtitles, the producer himself and the Thai ambassador were also there during the screening.

The bro got some CONNECTIONS, err, I mean the bro've been networking.

wm

Kristoffer
01-01-2004, 07:26 AM
lol

sorry, no connections. it was a screening at a movie festival so that's why those guys were there