PDA

View Full Version : A Few Reviews Should Be in Order

Vash
12-29-2003, 08:14 PM
I'm ordering the books Phoenix-Eye Kung Fu (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0834801272/qid=1072753894/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-1774975-4933653?v=glance&s=books) and Shaolin Lohan Kung Fu (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0804816980/qid=1072753913/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-1774975-4933653?v=glance&s=books) tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had read these, and if they had, were they a good representation of the systems?

Just doing some down-time research, and this stuff looked interesting.

IronFist
12-29-2003, 08:25 PM
I have the Pheonix Eye book. It's pretty cool, but I haven't looked through it in forever.

I've seen both of those books at Borders, tho. I recommend you go there and flip through them before you order them just to make sure you want them.

yenhoi
12-29-2003, 08:41 PM
Im finishing up "Mastering Kung Fu" about HFY Wing Chun. Good stuff.

FIRE HAWK
12-29-2003, 08:47 PM
The book Phoenix Eye Fist a Shaolin Fighting Art of South China or Chuka Shaolin is a good book , both of the Chuka Shaolin books are good I have the Grandmaster of Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist Cheong Cheng Leong on video tape performing Chuka Shaolins 1 form Kai San (opening the mountain ) .

Vash
12-29-2003, 09:00 PM
Technically, I'm not buying them. They're my birthday present from momma (momma's ROCK!).

I'm looking into some of the links between Okinawan karate and southern kungfu, and found reference to the Lohan style. The Phoenix-Eye Fist was a recommendation from Okinawan_Lohan.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Unmatchable
12-29-2003, 09:23 PM
I recently read Adam Hsu's book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0804831386/qid=1072758150/sr=1-

and I recommend it. Yang Jwing-Ming books are especially good.

Vash
12-29-2003, 10:48 PM
That's on my to read list. But, aside for the occasional foray into the technical deliniation between southern kung fu and Okinawan karate, I'm trying to keep the bulk of my research on OMA.

I've heard it's an amazing book, and I will get it, eventually.

PHILBERT
12-30-2003, 12:30 AM
I've purchased both books at Half Price Books around me and both are very rare finds. Very good books as well, I especially like the Lohan book. The Phoenix-Eye book however lacked a Table of Contents if I remember, or page numbers, making it difficult to find stuff within.

GeneChing
12-30-2003, 11:09 AM
That's a classic book, one of the first Shaolin books to appear in English. If memory serves, it had some good anecdotal stuff and was significant since it was a precedent, but I don't remember it being that great for techniques. I'd have to dig out my old copy and take another look, and since I'm working on reorganizing my library, it may actually happen in the next month or two...

Vash
12-30-2003, 11:49 AM
Yay! I picked a good one!

Vash
01-04-2004, 01:31 PM
I have to say, this was a great read. Despite the fact that I have never trained in this art, or any Cma for that matter, the lessons were easily understood, the layout served only to improve one's level of comprehension, and the author did not seem to be interested in self-promotion.

I've read one or two martial arts books, and hit is definetly one of the best. After reading this, I am rather interested in training with a Chuka Shaolin instructor.

If one has this book, read it again. If you don't, buy it, then read it, then read it again.

Awesome work.

============

Still waiting on my Shaolin Lohan book to get here.

Stupid weekends.:eek:

FIRE HAWK
01-04-2004, 05:25 PM
You should get the second book on Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist called The Secrets of Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist Kung Fu by authors Cheong Cheng Leong and Mark Wiley , as the second book compliments the first book . I am in contact with a student of Cheong Cheng Leongs that lives in South America .

anton
01-04-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by FIRE HAWK
You should get the second book on Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist called The Secrets of Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist Kung Fu by authors Cheong Cheng Leong and Mark Wiley , as the second book compliments the first book . I am in contact with a student of Cheong Cheng Leongs that lives in South America .

Picked this one up on special for $5AU!!... Good book, have never seen/practiced the art so don't know if its a good representation. But it seems well written and looks pretty legit to me.

mickey
01-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Vash,

If you are looking for connectives between Okinawan and southern Chinese martial arts, your should try looking up George Matteson of the Uechi-ryu style. His Massachusetts group has done extensive research in studying the roots of their style and they have even gone to Fukien, China to draw connectives. He has a website that shouldn't be too hard to find.

mickey

Vash
01-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. If I find the site, I'll drop a link in the ORA thread for links.

I'm kinda-sorta looking at connections, but it's really only a hobby at this point. Since I can't actually train, I've got to do something to keep me occupied. And I'm not quite looking for historical connections so much as technical relations. I'd like to take the techniques of Isshinryu and look at them under a new light, see what kind of applications/strategies are there.

rogue
01-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Vash, check out the books by Javier Martinez for Isshinryu bunkai. The books by Dr Yang are really good as is Patrick McCarthy's translation of the Bubishi.

Vash
01-04-2004, 06:41 PM
I've got McCarthy's Bubishi; that's what originally got me interested in both herbology as relates to martial arts, as well as technical relations.

mickey
01-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Vash,

If you don't already have it, there is a very interesting article in Vol.10 #3 edition of Journal of Asian Martial Arts (2001). It was titled: Isshin Kempo, Isshin-ryu's missing link to the internal.

I think that is the food and water that you are really looking for!

mickey

Royal Dragon
01-04-2004, 07:24 PM
I have the Louhan book.

I actually worked out the set, and drilled the stuffing out of it around 1995 or 96 or so. I had no teqacher, and was looking for something new to keep me motivated wile I was solo.

I used to free spar a former marine friend of mine allthe time back then. Not a teacher, just a buddy who I rolled with. HE was a Kempo Black belt, and had quite alot of boxing skills, both from the military, and prior to his service. For the life of me, I could not beat him, he was too fast, and knew how to fight too well. Well, one day, we were going at it really hard, I got over whelmed, and I did something I never did before, and quite literally stunned him so much he couldn't fight anymore.

At first I thought it was a fluke thing, and I got lucky. But upon further examination, I realised it was a move from the Louhan set in that book. I had done the form so much, and so consistantly, that it had become engrained in my subconcious, and it just came out when I needed it. After that, I started to shadow box the moves from the set, and began trying them out one by one when we free sparred. I didn't tell him what I was doing of course. By about the time I got 7-8 of them down well, he could not touch me anymore. I still couldn't really touch him, but I could get a deacent shot in once and a wile.

I swear, I got more fighting ability out of that one book, than ANYTHING I have ever learned live from a teacher up to that point. Not that I don't think a teacher is nessasary, especially with the internal arts, and since then, I have met and worked with some one live who advanced me quite a bit more, but because of that experiance, I have a MUCH greater appreciation of the manuals in the study of Kung Fu. It really is all there if you have the key to unlock it.

Vash
01-04-2004, 07:40 PM
I'll have to give it a good thrice-over when it comes in.

Vash
01-04-2004, 08:31 PM
I agree about the manuals being invaluable. It would be great if there were some real High-Quality Karate manuals out there.

I've seen a bunch of Good books, but nothing I'd consider Great.

Royal Dragon
01-04-2004, 08:44 PM
It's not the manual, it's the reader. I have heard people say you can't get much out of the Tagou manuals, but if you study them the way I studied the Louhan one, all the secrets are in there. You may not get the sequence of the forms exactly right, because there are errors in tha Tagou's texts, but you can still have exemplery Kung Fu if you go through, work out each set one at a time, then work each techinque of that set one at a time, with a partner.Then shadow box it, and find ways to use it in your free sparring. Once done, move on to the next technique.

All you really need is someone to teach you a good Shaolin foundation heavy on the basics, the principals of Shaolin combat and training, and a couple of good partners to work with. Once you've got that, the manuals are easy. Just remeber, when you learn a set from a good teacher, you only learn a little slice at a time anyway. If you treat the book like that, you'll get it. Your testing with a partner will help you figure out the corrections and everything. If you try to just read it through, and get it all at once, you be pulling your hair out.

When you find parts that don't quite make sense, just improvise something that fits. No two Shaolin schools do the same sets exactly alike anyway. None's going to care if they see it performed when they don't know the background.

FIRE HAWK
01-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Another set of good books on Wing Chun are the books called Secret Techniques of Wing Chun by K.T. Chao and John Weakland there are three books the Sil Lim Tao , Chum Kil, and Bil Jee , these books are probably the best books technically wise on Wing Chun . These books are hard to get and the are going fast here are some links on were you can get the books .
http://www.plumpub.com/sales/kungfu/bk_secretsWC1.htm
http://ryukyu.com/id60.html

Vash
01-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the links, FH. To be honest, though, not very interested in Wing Chun at this point.

RD:

I agree with you about the value of manuals. I just wish there was an actual manual out there which came a little bit closer, lineage-wise, to my instructor. So far, I've found a manual which is of the same generation of my teacher's teacher's teacher. So, some of the stuff is dead-on what we do, some of it is a little out there.

Maybe one day I'll get my sensei to go through all the basics, kata and take a shot of each of these, have him explain how we do stuff at our school, then bind it all together . . . :o