PDA

View Full Version : Canto pop star Anita Mui dies after battle with Cancer.

firepalm
12-29-2003, 10:09 PM
Canto pop star Anita Mui Yim Fong, probably best known in the west for her role as the shop owner in Rumble in the Bronx, but also seen in Herioc Trio (w/Maggie Cheung & Michelle Yeoh), Drunken Master (aka Legend of the Drunken Master, Jackie's mother), etc... died of cancer Tuesday @ 2am in the morning.

Just thought I would share that for those may have been fans of her music or films.

Chang Style Novice
12-29-2003, 10:11 PM
link?

Never mind, got it.

http://www1.chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/2003-12/30/content_294436.htm

IronFist
12-30-2003, 12:27 AM
She died? I didn't even know she had cancer. ****. :( She was awesome, even tho I've only seen a few of her movies (Rumble in the Bronx and Heroic Trio come to mind). How old was she?

SanSoo Student
12-30-2003, 01:13 AM
Its a shame she was funny too.

Kristoffer
12-30-2003, 05:05 AM
As much as I hate canto pop stars, it's still a shame for anyone to go that way. RIP

Pork Chop
12-30-2003, 06:02 AM
R.I.P.
She is/was one of my favorite actors.
Sad to see her go, but at least she left us some good movies that'll live on as long as we have something to play them on.

WanderingMonk
12-30-2003, 08:32 AM
She was 40 years old.

wm

apoweyn
12-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Wow.

First, Leslie Cheung and now Anita Mui. That's awful.

GeneChing
12-30-2003, 10:50 AM
That's sad. I hear her sister died of the same cancer two years earlier.

We only carry one of her movies since she wasn't a martial artist, strictly speaking, and that is Heroic Trio (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/dvd50004.html). She had a small cameo in Twinkle, Twinkle, Lucky Stars (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/dvd10034.html) with Jackie, Sammo and Yuen Biao. But for those who don't know here, she did a lot of work with Jackie Chan - Mr. Canton and Lady Rose, Drunken Master II, Rumble in the Bronx, also My Father is a Hero with Jet Li, a Better Tomorrow III with Chow Yun Fat and Executioners (the sequel to Heroic Trio) with Michelle Yeoh and Maggie Cheung. Western papers tried to label her as the "Chinese Madonna" which I alwasy felt was a great disservice, a racial put-down even, along the lines of Stephan Chow being called the "Chinese Jim Carrey". Both Anita and Stephen's work has nothing to do with their so-called Western counterparts.

mickey
12-30-2003, 03:55 PM
HOLY SMOKES!

This really hurts.

I had the chance to see her in a Chinese version of The Last Emperor. I think it was The Last Princess of Manchuria. It was a drama and she was great in it. She is going to be missed.

mickey

norther practitioner
12-30-2003, 04:05 PM
40, ****...

that really stinks... I enjoyed all of her work that I'd seen too.

Kristoffer
12-30-2003, 04:09 PM
she could have lived twice that :mad:
this sucks

Mika
12-31-2003, 04:20 AM
:(

Very sad, indeed. Whenever a young person passes away, it makes you wonder.
In Anita's case, she was also a great performer and one of my favorite actors. Her role in DM II was hilarious and made a huge impact on the movie, IMHO.

She will be sorely missed...

Mika